Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Long, Stressful Day

Today, I almost overdid it. I am trying to rest for a real challenge next Monday. We left early to go to Cullman to meet someone at my lot. I got my business done with guy we met. First, we had a burger and went to PO. Afterwards, we went to the festehalle and I bought beautiful small yellow crookneck squash from my sweet potato man. Then, we came back for something this afternoon, something that was cancelled when we got there. Bummer.

I called and left a message cancelling the missionaries because I was tired and knew I would be exhausted for three days if they came by to help in the kitchen. But, they did not get the message. They showed up, and I did not get out of my recliner. I told them I was too tired and we had left a message cancelling. However, I told them I had something that really needed doing--take all dead limbs at back of the lot to the road. 

When the guy next door paid for someone to mow Tommy's lawn, the mower carried all limbs to the back of Tommy's yard. It is not like we live backed up to a forest. The guys thought we meant the huge limb that fell on neighbor's fence. They got it off the fence but could not get it through the small gate. So, they just carried all the limbs at the back and left the newly fallen limb which was okay.  

They left without telling us. I am sure they were hot and figured that lady would have more work! Of course, I would not...lol. They had on black pants, white shirt and tie. But, they did not mind working outdoors that way. These guys are really nice young men, personable. 

I cooked, mashed and sweetened the blackberries with Swerve. It was fine until I tried drinking milk. Then, my mouth seemed to be lined with sugar. I could not get the sweet taste off my tongue or lips. It was weird and way too sweet once I drank milk. I only put 1/4 cup swerve in a quart of blackberries. 

Then, later I decided to eat oats and put only a tsp of Swerve in the bowl of oats. Well, my tongue was coated with a sickening sweetness once I started drinking milk. I tried wiping it off with a dishcloth but it would not go away. I am not sure what is happening. 

I won't give up. I need to cut back on sugar, of course. And, I need to make Kool Aid! I should buy pure Stevia. 

My plan for the squash is somewhat off-beat. I will slice them, put a tiny bit of oil over them in a bowl and stir in cornmeal Then, I will put on a pan for the oven. I have done this before in place of frying the squash. I cannot stand or tend to them for a long time. Plus, if you don't use an iron skillet, fried squash is nothing special and does not turn out right. It is better in the oven. 

Tuesday night, I folded kitchen linens, folded my bathroom stuff, struggled with Tommy to open a huge box that we could barely get inside, had meatloaf and vegetables for dinner. Tommy heated his own leftover meatloaf and vegetables and went out and watered the flowers. 

The flowers are surviving the heat from the brick house. Of course, Tommy's watering them is working miracles. Tomorrow, it will be 100F here, so we will stick close to home. 

Monday night and Tuesday afternoon, I talked for a total of four hours to an abused woman whose husband and his attorney agreed to give her $1000/month as long as she does not marry or cohabitate  with anyone. She thinks living with her brother out of necessity or staying with our mutual friend to do his 2020 taxes is cohabiting! (Friend lives far away and her work laptops were stolen, so she uses friend's computer.) He gets $7000/month from his pension from former high level govt job. He told her that it was not money she could get like social security from him since they were divorcing. 

He and his family stole her medicines, computers with clients social security numbers and all their financial records. The items he stole include pre-colombian articles that a dead husband gave her. I know that sounds fishy and will not criticize her or listen to criticism. He abused her in ways I cannot imagine and have never heard before. 

His daughter took her walker away so she was helpless, pulled it across the room. He stole her son's computer and camera, and phone! She did not recognize elder abuse, and obviously her son does not recognize theft! 

She talked to an attorney who wanted $5000 up front. So, she has given up, suffering, I believe, from learned helplessness. I promised I would help her. I will. So, I have a chore set out for me. 

It all makes me so sad and wears me down emotionally which affects me physically! 

12 comments:

  1. Odds are she can get a portion of his retirement if she fought it. That is definitely abuse!!!!! He is even trying to control her with the money and saying no cohabiting. Hope she finds someone to help her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I told her that! She believed every word he and his attorney told her. She even signed a POA with a guy who is also taking advantage of her financially. That is my selp-appointed job today--find someone to help her if it takes all day.

      Delete
  2. Last year I tried making a cooked cranberry sauce with Swerve and it did not work. The sugar dissolved at first, but then when I refrigerated it it got all sandy and crusty. It was weird and unpleasant, just like you said. Re-heating it did not help, and I had to throw it out. I don't know if Allulose would have worked better.

    I can't stand Stevia or monkfruit. At least not the first ones marketed. Maybe they have improved the flavor since they first came on the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. I suppose I have ruined all my blackberries! It was such a strange feeling with all the sweetness on my tongue and lips. Even taking a dishtowel and wiping my lips and tongue over and over did not help.

      Stevia is fine but the stuff on store shelves is a combination of other sweeteners, and I cannot stand those.

      Delete
  3. I was put on medication 2 years ago that instantly made me an insulin dependent diabetic! 590 blood sugar, almost overnight. I had to cut out sugar quick, but I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners.. I found Monk fruit. If I added a tiny bit of real sugar with it, everything tasted fine to me. I was switched meds again and no longer take the insulin (and found people to give it all to, a win-win for us!) I though of Swerve, but am glad I didn't switch. The monk fruit can be used in baking too. I bought mine on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene,
      I want to avoid that med. What was it? I read monk fruit was not good for a person, but I will read further. Thanks. I will consider that.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it sad what people do to each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am continually amazed, and she told me more today.

      Delete
  5. I'd get her connected with legal aid, and domestic abuse counselors or combination. This needs professional intervention. Though just listening to her probably did her self esteem good. Abused women so often feel no one cares, and your good ears showed her you do. If I was more familiar with your systems in Alabama I'd offer better leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      She has all these excuses why these people cannot help. Plus, she lives in a county that is accustomed to poor, beaten down women. I listened her for a total of more than six hours in the last three days. Oh, I assured her the husband was definitely lying and identified the problem as one women face, not just her imagination. She thinks it is all wrong yet gives them the benefit of a doubt. She did not even think of the stolen cameras and equipment belonging to her son as theft. But, she quickly agreed. She will not say "stole" as she just says "took."

      Delete
  6. My med was for kidney transplant, I think you should have no worries , lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene,
      I certainly hope I don't need med for a kidney transplant. I am glad you are better.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...