Monday, June 20, 2022

Progress on Many Fronts

1) Found a local magnifier. It was ten whole dollars. Too much and not really good, but it is the only one in three stores. So, we can use it until I get something larger. The lens is about 1.5" square. It does have a light. I figured out part of the problem, the reason I could not make out one word. Well, two reasons--the tiny print was in grayscale, and it was fuzzy besides. I know gray scale is not supposed to be sharp, but this was the fuzziest gray scale I have ever come across. 

2)List for today, rather tonight: 

put capon in oven

cook frozen pizza with some of the meat Tommy cooked

Load ingredients into crock pot for taco soup/casserole

wash and cook blackberries

hang up with clothes

fold clothes from dryer

hang up wet clothes

None of this is really time consuming, just Tommy's job of picking meat from capon carcass. I did buy 5 gallons of vinegar today. I would have bought another five, but Tommy has to push it in his walker and lift it into the house. He has real muscles, bulging ones from lifting the walker with gallons of vinegar, 24 packs of water, two gallons of milk, Cokes. His muscles are impressive. 

3) I just talked to newest cleaner of bathroom. I asked what she wanted in the way of cleaning products. She wants Windex and she will get Windex, never mind that I think vinegar will do a good job. She wants to be paid $18/hr and she will get that and more! She wants Comet and she will get Comet even though I think Barkeeper's Friend is better. I don't want her unhappy! 

If she willing, Tommy is willing to have someone come and do one room at a time until the house is completely clean and then have someone come in every two weeks. 

4) We have lots of utensils. Today, I found dinner forks and got two packages for a total of 12. Yes, we can have a banquet. I have only purchased 6 dinner knives. However, I have 12 salad forks, 12 dinner forks, 12 teaspoons, and 12 larger spoons. I can eat with either fork or either spoon. I have never seen teaspoons that were not iced tea spoons. These are just regular spoons. The larger spoons are not soups spoons, not sure what purpose. We have plenty with 24 forks and 24 spoons. 

Tommy, who so objected to my buying flatware, is now using metal instead of plastic. When I walk into the kitchen holding a fork with which I have eaten, I put it right into the dishwasher. I have no hopes he will do this. But, it is just as well since he would probably put spoons in so they spoon and never come clean in the wash. 

This pizza was given to us. When the instructions say to put it in the oven frozen, do it. I had a hard time getting all the doughy crust from the plastic to pizza pan. It just was a glob I had to try to smooth and stretch. I have never bought a frozen pizza in my life. 

The weather has been nice and hot and low humidity. Nice! It has been a pleasant day all around. How has your day been? What have you done today? Plans for tomorrow?




14 comments:

  1. Glad you found a magnifier, hopefully you will find a larger one at a good price in the future. I knew Tommy would adjust to using the silverware once he gave it a try.

    Your new bathroom room cleaner, if she is young she does not know vinegar is a good cleaning agent. She also has not heard of barkeepers friend, I love the stuff. I do use vinegar and baking soda in my oven and on my cooktop. Works great!

    Just got a few things done today. My problem is I don't make a list, I just go at it willy nilly. I might try a list. Might motivate me by getting to mark things off when completed. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is slow, not easily persuaded. This magnifier will do so I don't go nuts trying to read miniscule print.

      She is young. I figured she did not know these things. I will get what she wants and then introduce her to other things as I intend to have her back! This is not the hill on which I want to die.

      My problem is that a list in my head no longer works for maximum efficiency. I need to see what needs to be done and mark it off.

      Delete
  2. A cleaner would be nice...I would get her what she needed too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It will be wonderful! I started trying to tell her what I had that would work and backed up and told her I would get what she mentioned AFTER I asked her what she needed. She asked if there were a mirror in the bathroom and then wanted Windex. It is huge, frameless and can be easily cleaned, but I will leave it to her. I looked and it is actually clean. Oh well.

      Delete
  3. today I am working from home as the car is faulty. It feels like 2020 again.
    Every time I read about someone using the crockpot I want to get out ours and do some myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I hate your car has a problem. But, don't drive without proper amount of oil!
      It seems like the taco casserole is all we use the crock pot to cook lately.

      Delete
  4. Crock-pot / casserole meals are so good.
    Just put all the ingredients in, a nice slow cook and you have a tasty meal.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I announced for years that I would never use a crockpot, but someone gave me one as a gift. So, I jumped right in and loved it ever since.

      Delete
  5. I had to go and look up "iced tea spoon". How interesting. These are not common in Canada. I have seen them occasionally but they would be used for an ice cream sundae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy,
      Well, of course that is what I would use them for...lol. Since I don't use sugar or lemon in my iced tea like most Southerners, I have never used an iced tea spoon at all, ever.

      Sticking it in an ice cream float would be my only use!

      Delete
  6. I think the spoons that are a bit larger than the teaspoons are actually soup spoons. Today's soup spoons don't have the rounded bowls--in fact flatware mfrs don't make the rounded bowl spoons anymore as part of their sets. They call that slightly larger spoon a soup spoon.

    I just bought DD a 12-place set of stainless flatware for her new apt. I made sure they were 18/10. Hopefully they have a nice heft to them so they "feel" good to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      These do not have bowls like soup spoons, so it is confusing me. Dinner spoon is what they call them.

      These are 18/0 but, they do have a nice heft. Otherwise, I could keep using plastic. These are balanced, too. I hate flatware that is all uneven feeling when I try to use it. I was not willing to buy the more expensive 18/10.

      Delete
  7. Well, if you are having soup for dinner, then they are dinner soup spoons! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...