Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Nell's Sweet Potato Vine

When I was a child, Nell, my aunt, had a sweet potato vine growing in a window, lots of places. It was in her dining area off the kitchen. First, it grew in a window. As the years passed, the sweet potato vine grew longer and longer and reached another window. She had to provide support as it ventured out. I suppose the last time I saw it, the vine was about 10+ feet in both directions. I was amazed and still am. 

I remember a few things from her house. It was immaculate. She had a loaded pistol on the nightstand in her bedroom that we were forbidden to touch. We would not dare go into her bedroom or touch the gun. My mother laid down the law. (No comments with gun info will be published!)

She had a conch shell and a beautiful piece of coral. I was always fascinated with her life and her. Her life was just different from ours. Obviously, she had been to Florida. 

She was married to a man from Greece. I really loved Uncle Pete, but he possibly just tolerated us, but he was kind to us. He did yell at me once. He took us to the Greek Orthodox Church he attended. I walked up the aisle toward the platform, the raised part and he spoke loudly and sharply to me, telling me not to go up there. It was just one step up. I remember being mortified, embarrassed that I had done something wrong. But, he did not remain annoyed at me. 

My three sweet potato slips are in water still in the kitchen, thriving and reaching for the window. I think of Nell when I see them. I really need to plant them. 

Other than getting slips ready to plant, have you ever grown a sweet potato vine in a window? Do you know someone who grew a giant sweet potato vine in the window? 

8 comments:

  1. It's as if you are talking about my Great Aunt Bonnie! She had an amazing beautiful yard full of flowers and she could do everything a man could do. She finished the concrete when we had a sidewalk poured 26 years ago. She was married to a Russian man and they were hilarious in the ways that they got back at and picked on each other. After my Great Uncle died she was amazed that her daffodils come back the next year and realized he had been digging up the bulbs every year because he hated daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      Your great Aunt Bonnie sounds like a great woman. I am glad she got her daffodils back.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderfully sweet memory. Those are the ones that make us smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thank you! It does make me smile. I had a picture of her that I cannot find. Surely someone took a picture of that sweet potato vine.

      Delete
  3. I do like sweet potato vines in tall planters to cascade down. But I can't have them in my house or screened porch. DS's cat is a nibbler, and those vines are poisonous.

    Soon she and her pusskins will be moving away.
    I wonder if being able to have sweet potato vines, amaryllis, coleus, and the like will make up for not having a silly, funny cat in the house. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I didn't know they were poisonous. But, I won't be having a cat in the house--allergies. Well, I am sorry she is moving the cat away. I also did not know all those things would hurt a cat.

      Delete
  4. SO MANY common household plants/annuals are poisonous to cats (and dogs). It's exhausting! I never purchase a plant without Googling first. The last plant I bought was a bird's nest fern. I think it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I have heard that, but never pay attention since I don't have to know.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...