Thursday, June 23, 2022

Wednesday and Thursday and Friday

 Grocery ads are not great this week. Aldi had their Honey Nut Cheerios, $1.99/$19.5 ounces. I don't remember the exact price, but for 18 ounces, and on sale, I think I paid about $3.50. Wednesday, I told Tommy to go into Aldi's and get six boxes. He objected to buying so many. I insisted that this was the time to stock up at a really good price. So, we left. I wasn't sure how many he would buy, but he came out with six boxes.

The Aldi brand came to 10.2 cents per ounce. Real Honey Nut Cheerios were 23.3 cents per ounce...over twice as much as the Aldi brand. 

I saw him walk back toward the store with his reacher. but I didn't pay attention to what he picked up. Later, he gave me a penny he had picked up. Good deal! When he gets out at the gas pump, he has to hold onto the car to get around the car to the pump. I always tell him to watch for money, rap on the car, and I will get out and pick up the coin. 

Wednesday, we had several choices of what to have for dinner. Tommy chose the taco casserole/soup. I put everything in the crockpot--cooked, ground pork, two cans tomato bits, two cans black beans low sodium, one can whole kernel corn. I turned it on high and got out the cheese. Well, 45 minutes later I went back and found the crockpot turned to "Off." 

About 30 minutes after I promised it at first, it was sort of warm. So, we dipped out some of what was in the pot for ourselves and put cheese on top and popped it into the microwave. I will stir in the rice and add cheese to the whole batch later. Even though it was not all the way finished, it was delicious. We can do without the rice, anyway. Okay, I put the rice into the crockpot and will add the rest of the cheese before storing. Really, it is done when it goes into the crockpot, it just needs to blend, but it was really tasty like it was, freshly mixed. 

I had an appointment at 10:30 Friday morning a long way across town with my ENT. However, I could not get into the office and they refuse to help after doing it twice--against policy and insurance won't cover. 

Since I really like this doctor, I will work it out. But, I asked if I could get a phone appointment. Lo and Behold! They said he would come to the phone. Usually, I have to wait forever. It appears the earache I have had for two years might be TMJ. So, I suppose it is here to stay. However, I may not be able to take the pain med he prescribed. So, there is that. 

I am firing two doctors because... 

While I was over on that part of town, I got to go into a different Publix. I love Publix though I purchase little. I did get some B&M Bread. It is such an experience being in that Publix, so toney...lol...real or imagined. Now, don't get me wrong, I love digging in bins and dragging good food to the surface in sketchy places with concrete floors. The aisles are generous, staff eager to help. The Publix at Cahaba is a step or two above even the nicest Publix around. `

Sitting in the car and a short trip into Publix exhausted me. I bought everything the cleaner wanted. I even bought the wet Swiffer cloths because I want her to be happy and be able to clean this awful bathroom! I even got Windex instead of the store brand or giving her vinegar. I don't want her to think I am giving her tools that won't work, even though she only asked for Windex after she asked if there were a mirror in there. I know she can do it with less prices items. But, for now, this is the way it is. This is the only room requiring such a list, so we are going with it.  I will have a gallon of vinager nearby when she comes Friday morning! 

Update on friend. I made progress and about a dozen phone calls. I told her to call the clerk at the county courthouse because they know procedures for everything! She did and found out that since he is not doing things he agreed to in divorce papers, he will soon be in contempt. I actually knew that, but it has been so long these facts slip away. She found out other things, forgot what. And, she wanted all the numbers I called to help her. I feel like she is more hopeful. 

He said in divorce papers that he would give her the car. Well, he refuses to give her documentation where she can get insurance. He has not yet given her a clear title. I told her if she wrecks it, all the fault will fall on him for damages. We both like that. So, she has to drive without insurance in the meantime. 

I said often and with compassion that I understood why she did not take steps she did and did not do things in divorce proceedings...and, 

the phone just rang. Long time friend called and her husband has stage 4 esophageal cancer, stomach tube, and mass in stomach and cancer has metastasized! She is sweet cousin of my best friend who died from hoarding...a fire. Her husband is a really good guy, sweet. She has a strong and large support system and a son who quit his job to go home and help them. 

The cleaner comes at 10 am in the morning, and I have calls to make, and now this sorrow. It is 10 pm, and I have not eaten. Tommy had a salad.

We were sitting in the shade today and it was 89F. I love the heat and love the relative lack of allergens. Dry, hot weather suits me. How is the weather in your area?  

10 comments:

  1. Such a sad situation for your long time friend and her husband. So sorry.
    My allergies are really acting up. It is very dry and hot here - but allergens are active!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Yes, it is going to be hard for her. Thanks. Oh, allergens are always present for me because I am allergic to everything! Sometimes, there are fewer present! It's so hot here that I don't expose myself to the outside often. lol

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to hear how the cleaner did! I am hoping that she does not use the wet swiffers exclusively. She needs to get down on her hands and knees and scrub out the corners and the baseboards.

    It is so nice of you to help out your friend, and to be patient and understanding with her. It's important that she is also actually listening to you and starting to make changes.

    Sometimes you can advise and help a friend until you are exhausted and they are still too paralyzed to make the needed changes. But they still want to discuss the problem over and over. That's when I must say, "I love you, and I understand that you are going to handle [the situation] as you see fit. But we have to agree not to discuss it anymore, because I can't seem to help you and it really stresses me out."

    The weather in our area is 78, not too humid, and sunny. Wish
    it could be this way forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I am not sure what she is doing. I won't judge until she is through.

      I am trying to be ultra patient because of the fact she has no one sane around her! She is following through on things I tell her she can do. She just needs a nudge and a little knowledge.

      Believe me, the minute she quits listening or acting, I will tell her how I feel and she will disengage on her own. I am tolerant of abused women, hold their hands figuratively, but when the oppose what I advise, I tell them without further abusing that there is nothing I can do if they won't do for themselves. If she ever quits calling people or responding to others who are there to help, there will be nothing I can do. The one thing I don't do is become abusive to them, also.

      She has one friend who is doing that now. I am trying to pry her loose enough to think. I know how he abuses women, calling them a bedboard! Some he says are only good for that.

      We have you beat by almost 20 degrees. Outdoors is not pleasant, just dangerous. I have to stay out of it mostly.

      Delete
  3. I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. ((())) I like going to a Publix too but don’t buy much as they are expensive, but I do look at the buy one get one free items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I grieved for him for years. Hoarding caused the fire. I am angry about that still.

      Publix is a great store with high prices. BOGO is what interests me. I started going for my special milk and got hooked on bogo. I just need to use coupons on those items to make them a marvelous dea.

      Delete
  4. Your temperatures do sound hot ...
    Keep hydrated.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish some patients would fire me; I can't figure out how to help them yet the keep returning.

    As for the weather we had a frightful wind but no thunder. I miss proper thunder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orspo,
      Maybe they like your prescription pad. Some patients do stick with a doctor to get their drugs. I bet you did not know that...lol.

      you can have my thunder.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...