Saturday, June 18, 2022

Plans That May Change

 I bought four containers of blackberries at Publix, of course, small containers. The plan is to make blackberry jam or something resembling blackberry jam. Since I don't want to add 2 cups of sugar and don't want to add artificial sweetener, I think I will crush the blackberries, add about 1/4 the sugar required, cook with or without no sugar Sure Jell and call it jam. 

Strawberry shortcake was in the works, but Tommy prefers the little shortcakes sold for dessert. I hate those and love my biscuits that have a bit of sugar and butter. Do I please him or please me and have less sweet stuff? 

After visiting two more stores as I shopped, no special trips, I found that the vinegar was cheapest where I bought the first two gallons. So, I will go there for another 8 gallons. 

The terrific wind brought down a large limb that will need a saw taken to it. So, we need to get that taken care of this next week. It fell on the neighbor's fence but did no damage. Just the end leafy parts are on the fence. But, since the wooden fence is inside the chain link fence, there could be damage not evident from my view from the car as we passed the house. 

I told Tommy he should go over and tell them he will get the tree off the fence. Tommy said he will do nothing, not even talk to them and ignore the limb unless they say something. He is a terrible neighbor. 

Produce is lasting forever here since I convinced Tommy it should go into a storage bag with the air pressed out. One week, at the food giveaway we were given 7 clamshells and bags of salad greens. We bagged them all in separate storage bags and not one was lost. Tommy ate out of them for over a month. So, he is a believer. These are Christmas designs and cost very little. We reused the bags for other uses, not food storage, before they are thrown out. 

I think I will make Kool Aid with Swerve. About once a year, I want Kool Aid. I wonder if Swerve will freeze so I can make popsicles, too.  ???

Tommy is not a father, but he was a good chickydaddy the ten years I had chickens. I always wish him Happy Father's Day. He did object but I point out his job as chickydaddy and he smiles. We are doing nothing spectacular or celebrating. So, it will just be another day. Both our fathers are dead, taken by cancer. 

We celebrate having air conditioning! The temps are high here. So, what are you doing on Father's Day?

12 comments:

  1. I was kind of pleased today. The high was only about 93 and I was able to sit on the screened porch this afternoon. I will admit I do have ceiling fans out there which bakes bearable unless the temps are over 95. Then it is simply hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      We were only out a bit, but it was not so hot to us as earlier in the week. A ceiling fan outdoors certainly helps. The humidity will be a bit less for a day or two. It sounds like a good trip, all things considered. I just read your post about the trip.

      Delete
  2. I bought strawberries for shortcake, too. Dh's summer favorite. What is all the vinegar used for? I might have missed that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use vinegar for all sorts of things, cleaning, in the washing machine, soaking feet, etc. It is $2.24/gal, so getting while I find a good price. It took over 2.5 years to use the last ten gallons. Now, the cheapest I found other than this was $2.94/gal up to $4.98. Using vinegar when washing black clothes or even jeans keeps them dark. I like vinegar but cannot have much in food as I am allergic to wheat.

      Delete
    2. Also, killing weeds, Tommy will spray it on his skin to repel mosquitoes, it makes bites quit itching, too.

      Delete
    3. We use about 8 gallons 2x a year to flush out our propane tankless water heaters. It sure does have lots of uses.

      Delete
  3. Kool-aid! I haven't had any in decades. I remember thinking this oh so scrumptious as a boy. Now, all that sugar - alas no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Sugar is why I am not going to add sugar. I am hoping Swerve will work and taste okay.

      Delete
  4. Laso put a paper towel in your green bags and the lettuce lasts even longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are celebrating FD next weekend because DD is off on a trip. DH wants to race go-karts, and I am all for it!!

    Homemade blackberry jam sounds so good, until I remember that I only like SEEDLESS blackberry jam--those crunchy little seeds drive me bonkers. I search for the fruit-only and no sugar added jams (like Polaner) and just use those. The rest of the fam enjoys Bon Maman.

    Does Tommy prefer those little yellow sponge-cake cups? I just read somewhere that using a Twinkie as the base for strawberry shortcake is really delicious. Ooh, or can you imagine a banana Twinkie? That seems even more delicious.

    Maybe you should buy Tommy some Twinkies and make your own shortcake biscuits to please yourself.

    I used to use angel food cake for shortcake until: too much sugar. I also have used GF poundcake, and have made my own shortcake biscuits, too. I have also trimmed the crusts off of white low-carb bread and used that. I enjoy experimenting.

    If I were making popsicles today, I would make them with sugar-free gelatin, swerve, and unsweetened kool-aid. I have never used Swerve in a popsicle, but I do know that Kool-Aid/jello popsicles are really good. If you make them, let us know how they turn out!

    https://aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com/jell-o-kool-aid-popsicles/

    But since I like sugar-free Fudgsicles and sugar-free Popsicles, I just buy those. Less work! ;^) Hmm, I think I hear a Fudgesicle calling to me now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kool Aid and Jello popsicles? I never heard of that, but I can try that. Tommy hates bananas and twinkies (the filling) and I hate banana twinkies! He got neither kind of shortcake. But, the strawberries are still here.
    The seeds are annoying, but I want these like from my childhood when I went to visit aunt Willie in Mississippi. However, I may buy some Polaner.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...