Friday, June 17, 2022

The Saddest Movie I Have Ever Seen

 Thursday night into Friday morning, we had lots of thunder and lightning. I am not sure if it rained or not. But, Friday afternoon, we had a terrific storm. The rain was blowing almost sideways. My wave petunia had all the flowers blown to one side. Another plant on the ramp blew over. I was surprised the shepherd's crooks with the hanging plants and feeders did not blow over. The ladder in the end of the carport blew over, thankfully missing both our cars. 

We had the door open, not a good idea, I hear, in a storm with lightning. I saw streaks of lightening followed immediately by the loudest boom of thunder I have heard in ages. I jumped, so startled. Lynda said her dog yelped and jumped in her lap. She is not a small dog! Everything is calm and past us for now.

The temperature cooled about 20 degrees in an hour. WOW! For several minutes, I thought we were going to lose power as lights flickered continuously. Scary. 

The shooting and killing of three people happened in an area in Birmingham that has the second highest wealth in Alabama and right next to the area with the highest wealth in the state. A 71-yr-old white man killed people in a church. As yet, no one has said why. The point is, killings do not happen just in lower income, ethnic neighborhoods, and in depressed areas. He killed three elderly people at an Episcopalian church potluck. None of us are safe. Well, we are until we aren't. It seems only luck spares us. The whole area looks like the safest place on earth. 

The saddest movie I have ever seen is Cheyenne Autumn. Tommy said he thought it was sad when he saw it when he was eleven-years-old. Have you seen this movie?

Cheyenne Autumn is a 1964 American epic Western film starring Richard WidmarkCarroll BakerJames Stewart, and Edward G. Robinson. It tells the story of a factual event, the Northern Cheyenne Exodus of 1878–79, told in "Hollywood style" using a great deal of artistic license. The film was the last western directed by John Ford, who proclaimed it an elegy for the Native Americans who had been abused by the U.S. government and misrepresented by many of the director's own films. Wikipedia

If you have not seen it, you have missed a great movie. Maybe you can find it. 


11 comments:

  1. I saw it as a kid. My many times great grandmother was on the march of the trail of tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I did not see it as a kid but as an adult. This is the third time, and I don't think I can bear to see it again. I suppose you have stories to tell.

      Delete
  2. No community is immune to violence today, so it seems. I don't understand people now - they just have no regard for life at all. So much evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      If it can happen in this community, no one is safe.

      Delete
  3. I wondered about dementia when I heard about that shooting. It just seemed so odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone considered that the random shootings are crimes by enraged males? I think men should be banned from owning guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I think the point about males is certainly valid. They don't even have to appear enraged, which is the whole problem. No telling who will be the next killer. But, some males certainly should not own guns.

      Delete
  5. We live in scary times. I have not seen that movie, but is sounds sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sat up at the title, and I confess I scrolled down right away to see the title. I do not know this movie. I learned something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      It would behoove you to watch it sometime. Well, I think it is worth a look.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...