Saturday, July 30, 2022

Cooking and Neighbors

 Dinner tonight--can of cream of mushroom soup, can of cream of celery soup, chicken breasts, thinly sliced carrot coins, celery sliced thinly across the ribs, 12 stuffing mushrooms roughly chopped,1/2 cup brown rice, all baked in the oven. I was going to sauté the mushrooms and celery, but don't want to stand to do that. I should have diced an onion. 

The two breasts were 12 ounces each. I cut them lengthwise and angled them in the 13x9 inch pan. There will be leftovers. 

Oops! I forgot to add pimientos. I intended to put in red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, too. I have a feeling it will be delicious, just not so colorful. Tommy will have a "salad" of the three colors of peppers, squash and zucchini. 

So, the dish turned out soupy, too soupy. I should have put more rice, but I was trying to avoid eating a lot of rice. It was delicious. Tommy did not like the mushrooms and gave his to me. I should have put in only one can of soup, too. This kind of dish is not ruined by adding or subtracting. So, all is good. 

Ha, look at the diacritical mark over sauté. The word had a wavy red line under it and when I clicked on the word, it came up with the diacritical mark which showed up on the page. I love this feature! 

Tommy hates mushrooms but will pick them out and save them for me. I should dice these stuffing mushrooms so he cannot see them. 

Last night, I slept about six hours but took a 3-hour nap early, 11 am until 2 pm. The last four nights I slept about 4.5 hours each, but I felt like I was awake and knew better. That kind of sleep leaves me tired. Both of us have had sinus problems for a few days, so I suppose it has been the weather. 

The neighbors put up a blow-up feature, 2 of them in their front yard. One was a huge structure that I thought was going to be a bouncy house. Tommy said it was a pool. No, it was a feature that had two wide grooves to slide through, sort of a slip and slide. At one end was a blow-up pool to slide into. The two kids were out trying it out about 10 am. All this is in the front yard. It is sort of near our house but mostly by the driveway. By 2 pm. there was a party happening--about a dozen children and more parents. About 6 pm, there was loud music and singing. We can hear none of it from the living room. I am not sure if is a birthday party or just a party. These people are not loud even when the music is up high and all are singing loudly. 

The dogs were nowhere to be seen or heard. So, I suppose dogs were banished for the party. They would bark continually and probably disturb the conversation. Plus, their nails might damage the blowups. 

I took Lynda half the box of mushrooms since she did not get any from the food giveaway. Tomorrow, I will look up a recipe and make stuffed mushrooms from the other box. 

Saturday, it has rained gentle showers three times. There is lots of thunder far away and nothing bad predicted for our house. Tommy and the flowers are happy about the rain. So, I am happy for both. We did not, however, get to test the efficacy of the Alien Tape.

Today, we scoped out a liquidator. Hopefully, we can go there on Tuesday when it is open.  It is the same place, different owner where I got the otc med for $5 instead of three times that price.

As you can see, nothing much is happening here, just the way I like it. I did get a little carried away with the chicken, soup, rice and broccoli dish. I knew I did not have broccoli, so used what I had. 

I was going to make a meatloaf for four meals from ground beef, 96% lean, 4% fat. I had never seen or heard of this quality but figured it would make meatloaf that is not floating in fat. I will make that tomorrow while Tommy chops and cooks two chubs of ground meat. And, I need to chop onions for the meatloaf and chopped beef and for the refrigerator. He likes it in his salad. So, I suppose we will cook again tomorrow and not take a ride. 

Do you like mushrooms as much as I do? I love them. 

Have you ever made stuffed mushrooms?  What did you put in them?

20 comments:

  1. Yes I have made stuffed mushrooms. I just use a small or large baking dish depending of how many I am making. I used to hate mushrooms, now I love them. I do not like them raw. I use a copy cat olive garden recipe. You might not like it as it uses chopped canned clams. Ever time I make them they have been a big hit.

    Better to have too much liquid than not enough, you can always take some out and use sauce for something else.

    Have a good evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Oh, I love them raw, too! I was afraid I was going to eat them all before cooking them. No raw clams for me! I saw the start of an Ina Garten recipe. I may go back and use that recipe.

      We sort of had a soup. It was all delicous.

      Delete
  2. It has been a long time ago that I made stuffed mushrooms. I think I had cooked crumbled pork sausage or maybe it was bacon , cream cheese, and finely chopped onions , the mushroom stems chopped finely went in to the stuffing along with breadcrumbs. They were baked in the oven for a length of time that I do not remember. I used large mushroom caps. I am sure the recipe with measurements and oven temperature would be found online if one wanted to find it. That was something I used to have when we got together with friends on weekend nights, BC- - before children. It was really good.
    I have never eaten a a raw mushroom, and probably won't if I can help it.

    Have a cozy day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      That is sort of the recipe I saw for a moment and did not finish. I love the BC part.

      I never considered not eating mushrooms raw. I think they are scrumptious. I did eat lots of Tommy's mushrooms he picked out. I was wondering where my bowl had mushrooms. I suppose I just ate them without scrutinizing what was going into my mouth.

      Tomorrow should be cozy here. Hope your day is all you wish and need.

      Delete
  3. Occasionally I stuff mushrooms, but generally I just sauté them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stuffed mushrooms. I use the veggie cream cheese in the small tub, top with a small piece of cooked bacon, then shredded cheese before baking in a cake pan with melted butter. They go fast with my family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      Ooh, that sounds delicious! I might try that! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. My son's name is André and I wouldn't dream of missing off the accent on the "e", but then I suppose it's because we live in France. I'd guess many people with hispanic names get ticked off at "missing accents" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      My computer does not have the e with accent, but the blogger does. I often wonder how people who use accents manage on our keyboards.

      Delete
  6. I love mushrooms in soups, n pizza, as appetizers...you name it!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like texture of mushrooms (or onions) at all, but the flavor is good. My husband makes stuffed mushrooms to sell at his store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      I'm glad I don't have a texture thing about either. Maybe it is because I ate them both as a child. Lamb and okra are my texture dislikes.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE Mushrooms!! I eat them any way I can get them! I just had deep fried mushrooms just the other night, dipped in ranch yum!! I've made many different kinds of stuffed mushrooms, they're one of my favorite side dishes. My all time favorite ones are a crab stuffed mushroom, filled with crab meat, cream cheese, parmesan & herbs, topped with panko bread crumbs. My family also loves when I stuff them with a sausage, Rotel & cream cheese mixture OR my mom always makes them with bacon, red onions & cheddar cheese! Mmmm stuffed mushrooms sound really good right now! You'll have to let us know what kind you end up making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri,
      I just don't have any meat, just the cheeses and panko. I will let you know.

      Delete
  9. I read this as 'cooking the neighbors" which sounds bad and funny at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      That is a funny and horrific reading. I do that all the time.

      Delete
  10. We do enjoy mushrooms, and had some in a mushroom omelette this morning.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...