Saturday, July 23, 2022

Great Saturday Shopping, Price Drop

 We went to the Festhalle Farmer's Market and I found homegrown tomatoes. The market only allows farmers within the county to sell their produce and products. There was everything to imagine. I found tomatoes and squash to bring home for $5 each, so $10 spent on produce. We bought apple fried pies, also known in some parts of the country as hand pies. We both wanted peach but by the time I went to the car for cash, peach was gone. So, apple fried pies were delicious. 

Tommy loves fast food. We got burgers and sat in my driveway. It was so peaceful! I offer to make a sandwich from chicken, bologna, anything he wants, but he says he wants something hot. And, I am not averse to having a Whopper with cheese, lettuce, and tomato! 

For the last year or so, I have been struggling with plastic bags that tear up before I can even put anything in them. So, I finally called customer service. The woman sent me three coupons for $4 each with an expiration date of today! So, I had to work fast, considering I only got these coupons a week ago. I bought a box using one coupon and still had to contribute $1+ tax to the purchase even using the coupon. 

Today, I decided I needed to spend the other two coupons in Cullman or go to the store once we got back home. We only want to get into the house and relax when we drive so far. So, I went into Publix and found what I wanted had been on sale. I got two boxes of bags for $7.50 and had two coupons for $4 each for a $3.50 product. I spent $0.63 for tax on two boxes of storage bags, 180 in total. I spent $0.63 cents for tax. Good deal! 

We dropped off the dozen shirts, so that is gone. 

Gas has gone down again to $3.43. 

Tommy saw a large hawk flying along with two mocking birds chasing it. Mocking birds are vicious and fearless. I have seen them terrorize cats and crows, now hawks. 

I had a nap when we got home. Tommy never wants a nap, he just does...lol. Friday night, I slept about an hour, if that, so I needed a nap. 

Tommy is out watering flowers. Next spring, we will have an irrigation system that goes from pot to pot. I saw one on someone's porch. So, they do exist. I had no idea, just wished it existed. 

Believe it or not! I put out a package of woody chicken to thaw! I am so disgusted and irritated. I will cook it, but only because it is thawing. 

Tommy spends hours using a reacher picking up bits of trash from the carpet around the house. Right now, he is putting together a cordless, stick vacuum cleaner that has a hepa filter. This won't be for the whole house and dust that has been here for about 16 years, but he can at least get up what he sees and wants to get up. In four hours the battery will be charged and I suppose he will be using it all over the house. Of course, the cleaner will use the corded, more powerful one. So, YAY for a vacuum he can use instead of a reacher. 

About the hepa filter, I need it. Regular vacuums just push out dust into the air. With almost twenty years of dust, I suffer. It would be worse having it pushed back out into the air up where I breathe. 

Tonight, for dinner I am combining stuff already cooked and leftover--half a jar of spaghetti sauce, spaghetti noodles in the refrigerator, and ground beef we cooked last night. I will probably add some zucchini to the sauce. No, I sliced zucchini and squash, he got slices of red and orange peppers, and some grape tomatoes to a huge bed of salad greens. So, he had a hearty and healthy dinner. 

Around midnight, he tried out the little stick vacuum using his walker with one hand and the vacuum with the other. After three minutes on a "clean" carpet, the dust bin was full. This was in front of his chair, in front of the front door, and toward the hall. 

Do you have a full-sized vacuum or a stick? Does the stick seem to do a really good job? 

Are you going to markets that limit vendors to farmers in your county? 

Have you ever observed a mockingbird terrorizing crows, hawks, and large birds? This happened daily at my house, but I cannot see out well here. 


13 comments:

  1. I have both a stick and full-size vacuum. Use both off and on. I also have Rainbow - which is a water filter system. I used it last week for the first time in ages - it was amazing how much dust and gunk that was still in carpet after vacuuming. The Rainbow works fabulously - just heavy and cumbersome.
    We don't have mockingbirds here that I know of. Hawks yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I would love to have a Rainbow. Mama had one when we lived in the country with wood floors and no ac. There was lots of dust. The water was filthy all the time.
      I don't know the range of mockingbirds. If you had them, you would know.

      Delete
  2. Morning...I found a mess of feathers in the backyard the other day, thinking the local hawk got it. Gas is going down here in Nashville TN also. FINALLY a small break. Now if food will go down that would help a lot. I was given two homegrown maters yesterday, I have not had one this summer. Heat is unbearable right now.....crazy temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      Got your mockingbird? Hope not. I am so glad gas is going down for the sake of the poor who need the lower price. Food going down would certainly help us all! Tomatoes are just now coming in locally. The only way to bear the temps is to stay in the ac. I live south of you on 65.
      Walk slow and stay in the shade.

      Delete
  3. I love fresh tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt! No convenient farmer's markets around here.

    We have a regular vacuum that works on carpets & hardwoods, but I've noticed our broom does a better job. With allergies & 3 pets, I sweep often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      We are having BLTs until we run out of tomatoes or bacon...lol.

      Since this house has not been vacuumed in almost 20 years, I am starting with the big, powerful vac. He can use the stick for just a local clean up. I cannot imagine how you have pets with allergies!

      Delete
    2. Thankfully I'm not allergic to animals (my Mom was). Moreso dust & outdoor allergens. I recently tried Zyrtek again; made me feel awful.

      P.S. I got your email & replied!

      Delete
    3. Jane,
      I think I am allergic to everything. Add lots of foods to that. Have you tried Claritin? That is okay for people with heart problems.

      Delete
    4. Jane,
      There is nothing in my inbox, spam or trash from you. Please send again.

      Delete
    5. I've tried it all (Claritin does nothing for me).. 🤷🏼‍♀️

      I just resent the email.. 12:21 AM timestamp. Hopefully you find it! (It's the email with a recap of what I've been up to. If you replied to it already, I didn't get it)

      Delete
    6. Jane,
      Since I am having heart problems, Claritin is all I can take.

      As of right this minute, I have not looked at my email in a couple of hours, so, no, have not seen or replied.

      Delete
  4. This weekend we go to Santa Fe. I look forward to the produce as much as the opera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa Fe, produce and the opera, a trifecta of pleasures.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...