Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Much Free Food; We Won; Even Cheaper Gas

 Wednesday was so busy. It was a matter of getting up to leave at 9:30 and go to Cullman. Getting my mail was important since I have not picked it up at PO in almost two weeks. There was the pickup lunch, and a lecture to attend. 

I awoke too early, hot as usual! But, I was able to watch a bit of the Today Show, eat breakfast leisurely, read blogs, read some news, and bathe without feeling rushed. I had scrambled six eggs for breakfast yesterday and put up three for today. Usually, I bathe, get dressed, and take my eggs and a glass of milk in the car. 

The day was so bright I could barely see! We picked up four lunches and went to the site of the pickling lecture. We eat in the parking lot under a tree. When we came to the site, we saw a beautiful white horse out in the sun eating a tall weed. There were four other horses, all brown, under a stand of trees that were planted for harvesting. The brown horses stood so still, sort of looking off into the trees. I surmised the heat did not affect the white horse so it could stand the sun and heat. I could be wrong. Maybe that breed can stand heat better. ???

Lunch today: hamburger, hotdog, condiment packets, huge slice of beautiful tomato and good amount of lettuce leaves for the hamburger. Since we got four, we had dinner tonight, too. 

As soon as we went into the building, there were Covid tests to take home. I got one but Tommy did not get one when he came by.  The young woman gave a demonstration of quick pickles along with a six-page handout. Each person also received a little bag of bay leaves and one of dried dill seeds, Mrs Wage's pickling mix. There was a lunch, too.

I got a portion of a sub with spicy meat and turkey and a tiny egg sandwich and a tiny tuna sandwich. I ate the filling of the tiny sandwiches and took the slice of sub with me. There were five jars of pickled relish and other stuff the young woman had made. The handout had the recipes for those. There was a huge container with water that had herbs in it. Tommy tried all the pickled garnishes for the sandwich but not the sandwich. 

Toward the end there was a drawing for door prizes--jar of blueberry jam, two small jars of smoked honey, quart jar of pickled pears, pint of canned pears, two half-dozen cartons of fresh eggs, two pints of freshly-picked grape tomatoes. All the door prizes were locally prepared. My name was drawn fourth and I chose blueberry jam, changed my mind and chose fresh eggs. Tommy's name was drawn and he chose the pint of pears. We were so pleased both our names were drawn. We came home with 6 pretty, colored eggs and a pint of pears. 

There was a donation jar for the catered lunch. We only had a $1 bill between us. So, that was that. The day was hot (heat index of 105). The only time Tommy got out of the car was to go into and out of the building. I did the same, plus went into and out of the store. He did go out to water the flowers after 7 pm. He said it was very warm, but not hot. At 10 pm, it is still 83F. 

We went to one store. I bought the huge can of Argo peaches for $1.99, and four pouches of Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix for $1.19 each. These were $1.09 about four months ago and $0.99 last year. These are small and make few brownies, but we don't need many brownies, if any at all. Freezing extras won't help since I like frozen fudge brownies.

About ten miles down the interstate, we realized we had not gone to PO! Well, I was in no mood to return, and he did not offer. He would have if I had asked. 

These days, we carry two bottles of water apiece. Tommy insists he does not need even one bottle. But, after seeing reports about the dangers of the heat and how people need to carry water, he does bring along four bottles. Of course, I do emphasize that water could save our lives if the car breaks down. I usually grab one from the table where I have been drinking it and carry it along, too. 

Gas was $3.51. Amazing! 

When you go out, do you make sure you have plenty of water? 

Do you like or attend demonstrations?

Is the price of gas falling more where you live? 


11 comments:

  1. We don't travel far from home, but I carry a little small plastic bottle of water. I put it in my purse, upright, and bring it with me. I almost always am at doctors' offices long enough that I need a drink. My mouth gets dry quickly. If we were going far I would bring the little ice chest with cold water for both of us and cold thin cloth dish towels wrung out and chilled overnight in the refrigerator to put around our necks or wipe our faces and necks to cool down. I tried putting mine in the freezer one time and I wasn't able to use it to cool my face or neck very well because it stayed frozen in the little ice chest. I used to take cold damp cloths for us and the kids when we would go fishing, or to the zoo, or anywhere we we went in summer. It always felt good to refresh ourselves before and after a picnic or just being out of the car in the heat.
    I don't know of any demonstrations like your wrote about around here, but maybe I am just not aware enough of what all is going on around here. I don't know if my husband would like going to any demonstration like the one you and Tommy enjoyed, but I would. I don't get out as much as I used to. I used to love going to the plant nursery/farm stand, but this year I have had so many health things going on that we only took one drive there, and they were closed on that day. We need to go there soon to get some fresh peaches. They grow the there at their old farm which is in the suburbs
    still and is the original family farm. This time of year I love to go there and get peaches and big pots of Black eyed Susans. I'm a brown eyed Susan so I enjoy the blooms of black eyed Susan's this time of year. I usually get two pots and set them inside a prettier pot and have them on the front porch, but last year I put them out further in the yard. If I get some this year I will put them where my ramp ends on either side. I think my ramp is so ugly, but I thank God every time we go anyplace that I was able to afford to get one. I feel sorry for people who can't afford to get one. They would become shut ins without being able to easily get in and out of the house.

    Enjoy your goodies you got at the demonstration, and have a nice day today, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      The cooler with water is a good idea and the cloths for cooling your face. We just carry room temp bottles of water. If somehow i forget my bottle of water to go into the doctor's office, I ask for water. Usually, their water is very cold.

      If we ever are stuck with car trouble, I plan to call for help right away, telling them we are elderly and afraid of the heat. Right now, it gets so hot so fast without the ac on in the car that in five minutes I could be affected.

      That reminds me, I need to get Elberta peaches! They are freestone and so delicious.

      Tommy's neighbor gave the ramp to Tommy after watching him struggle. So, I will have to look up the price. It is beautiful if it helps him get off the porch. I never thought about the lack of one causing people to become shut-ins.
      I am quite sure Tommy will be into the pears.

      Stay safe from the heat.

      Delete
    2. That's great you won fresh eggs and pears - that's awesome! Sounds like you guys had a nice busy day!

      I always take water (or at the very least Diet Coke haha!!) with me in my purse, you never know what you'll run into or when you'll be thirsty.

      I wish our gas prices were like yours! We were happy to see them finally fall below $5/gallon here in Salt Lake City! Currently regular unleaded is around $4.93/gallon. We've been filling up at Costco though which is always cheaper, it was $4.79 last week & we were thrilled. While it was a savings it's still ridiculous to be happy about gas that expensive!!

      Delete
    3. Bri,
      We carry water even if we have Coke. It is always at least 6 hours we are gone. But, we always stay busy when gone.

      I know what you mean about being ridiculous to be happy about high prices! We won't complain since Ukraine is in real trouble.

      Maybe we will all get some weather that is not so hot and dangerous.

      Delete
  2. Our gas was down to $4.53 so you are still $1 ahead but it is falling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always take a bottle of water, summer or winter, I hate to be thirsty. I have a 2nd fridge that I keep drinks in. Always at the ready, water, gatorade, pedialyte and soda.

    I have not been to gathering like the one you and Tommy went to but I am sure I would it enjoy it. I do attend events at our library which are always enjoyable and free. For some reason when I step into our library, my blood pressure goes down, anything that is bothering me melts away. Sometimes I go and just read the paper or a magazine to let the stress flow out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      We need a second refrigerator! Our water is room temperature, but is kept next to a vent. So, practically refrigerator cool.

      We like these as all are nature oriented. Oh, I feel calm reading in the library, too. I have sat and read newspapers and magazines that I see in the store with one article I want to read. It is a calming atmosphere, and I get to be with my friends, books.

      Delete
  4. I have a bottle of water at all times...at home...in the car...at work..all the time. Be careful out in that heat!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sassybear,
      The best wat we are careful is not to go out in it. We have been under the ac all day except for a short trip to the store for Miracle Whip bogo, milk, and ice cream.

      Delete
  5. I love to win "door prizes." Sounds like you got some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I also love to win door prizes. The eggs and pears are on the counter, waiting. I chose eggs so I won't have to pay a high price, and he loves pears. Good prizes!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...