Thursday, July 21, 2022

Woody Chicken Breasts, Storm

 Now I know why I have gotten chicken breasts with a strange look and strange texture. I asked a meat guy why the bscb looked funny. He said they were just fine, that some just looked that way and he did not know why. So, here is why!

These packages of bscb were lowest in years, $1.49/lb. I think someone, somewhere knew what was wrong with them. I have to watch this store because they have great sales on items with only 3 days left until "sell before" or "best by" dates.

CLICK HERE and HERE

Thursday, we went to Publix to get milk for Tommy and my milk for me, Miracle Whip, and ice cream. The MW has a best by date of Jan 24. I bought 3. The vanilla ice cream will be good with the strawberries. 

(I just remembered--Kim, have you discovered that Cokes at McD are no longer $1. They went up to $1.75!)

So, we drove about 3 miles. I was only in the heat to go into and out of the store. Since it rained, Tommy only went to the mailbox and back. I did not poke my head out the door the rest of the day. 

Just before 4 pm, the storm started, first with far off thunder, then wind, and then torrents blowing. It looked like one of the shepherd's hooks with a hanging basket of flowers was going to blow over as the basket blew back and forth. 

We both put our recliners in a position with foot down and backs where we would be comfortable if we lost electricity.  Plus, I did not want to have to call 911 to be hauled out of the chair. I called a mobility company nearby and we discussed the battery pack for the chairs--about $100 we were told. So, on Friday we will get a couple of those. 

Finally, at 7:15 or so, it calmed down after nothing worse than brief blips in the power. Birmingham probably had worse problems than we did. I heard the "feels like" temperature was between 113F and 115F". Now, that is hot. Okay, just heard--a three-month-old infant and a three-year-old child were killed when a tree fell on a home. It was a very nice multi-story home with mature trees. I say this because it was not a weather-related death in a mobile home as usually happens.

For dinner I cooked a package of spaghetti, shredded/chopped the last chicken breast, added a jar of alfredo sauce. For mine I added green beans and diced pimientos. Tommy did not. He had a huge salad with grape tomatoes and mayo. Basically, dinner was boiling pasta and mixing things in. There is more pasta for the half jar of spaghetti sauce in the refrigerator. 

Have you had chicken breasts that were strange with a woody texture? Have you heard of "woody chicken?" How did the storm affect you?

15 comments:

  1. I have never had what I would consider woody chicken, but I have had very tough or dry chicken before, and I don't think it was the way I cooked it because I use Reynolds cooking bags when I oven roast meat. I think it is because somewhere along the line the chicken had been frozen at the chicken processing plant and then thawed to be in the store, or maybe there are some breeds of chicken that just cook up like that. It's always disappointing and annoying when that happens and you have made your other side dishes for a great meal, and then you realize that you have woody, dry, or weird tasting chicken.
    Today I cooked plump chicken thighs in my microwave oven and they turned out good. I seasoned them well and used a cooking bag. I start them skin side down for about 10 minutes in my microwave, and then take them out and open the cooking bag and turn the thighs over so the skin side is up. I close the bag back up and cook them for another 10 minutes if they are all medium equal size. I like to put sliced mushrooms, drained jar kind, but fresh would probably be better right in with the chicken, but I forgot to today. I made boiled potatoes, husband's main vegetable, and was going to make stuffing, but started feeling sickly and had to go sit down. Imagine being worn out after making microwave chicken and boiled potatoes, I am really not liking this. It turned out that I had developed a near 101 degree temperature. I had to take Tylenols and eat a popsickle to get my fever to start going down insted of up. Finally, the sick nauseated feeling went away enough so I could eat some of a chicken thigh and some potato. Hopefully the antibiotic will go into full effect soon and I will be feeling better. I think the fever is caused by infection starting in and around that blister. This antibiotic takes to to three days to really show that it is working.

    My recliner automatically came with emergency battery system. Mine says in the information it is only good for one down or up trip, but the last time the chair still had enough battery power to make the chair go down, but very slowly. I need to get a new battery in there tomorrow as we are supposed to have thunderstorms this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that cooking bags could be used in the microwave! Have you ever cooked potatoes in with the chicken? I cut a potato in half or fourths, put carrots and onion. I would love mushrooms, but Tommy would hate them. Even if he did not get any, he would not like the taste it gave chicken.

      Of course, he has complained when I mention alfredo sauce and last night, I just made it anyway. He took a hearty portion!

      I get tired after ten minutes standing in the kitchen. You would think I had been slaving over a hot stove for hours. And, i don't even have a fever or reason.

      I saw the kind of battery you have on Amazon. This one plugs into the wall and charges while the power is on. I will not get one that has the once up or down life. The mobility store or WM has what I think I want. How much is the replacement battery you need to buy? I am so confused.

      Delete
    2. I think it takes 2 nine volt batteries if I remember right. it's been a long while since I changed the battery. Usually my husband does it.

      When I cook chicken in the regular oven I have often put big chunks of potatoe in to roast with it. It turns out delicious. It
      makes me hungry to think of it now. I didn't have my chicken and stuffing today. I ended up having cold chicken sandwiches and macaroni salad.
      The macaroni salad was so good, not too vinegary like some companies make. It was such a cooling super. We will be getting our new puppy tomorrow and our housee was such a mess it took us all afternoon and evening to get things in reasonable shape..My husband had to go and get a new dog bed for our new little puppy. She weighs 4 lbs.

      Delete
  2. No storms here, but the weather turned from 80 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny, to overcast, 58 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm sure it will change again before the day is out! I have had woody chicken. In fact, I thought I had coined the term "woody" to describe my experience. Several years ago, I got on the Zaycon bandwagon, and bought their BSCB. It was inexpensive, but you had to buy a good deal. It was also convenient--I drove to a church, pulled up, and they loaded my order. The afternoon was spent "processing," that is to say, taking them out of the original packaging, separating it in smaller portions, and freezing. Several breasts, many, in fact, had what I called a "woody" appearance in texture. When cooked, they were a bit unpleasant in texture. When I encountered these in subsequent packages, I made sure to pound them out, cut them, and use them for things like soup or casseroles. I couldn't have, say, breaded and fried them with a good result. I never purchased from Zaycon again after that, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Maybe that is one reason Zaycon went out of business. That was the week I was going to order chicken breasts. I tried eating some woody chicken and it was difficult. I had to cut the cooked chicken into tiny pieces. I probably have some hiding in the freezer. I WILL RETURN IT! I am glad I never bought from Zaycon. Thanks for this information.

      Delete
    2. If I remember correctly, it was NEVER the quality of their products that caused their closure, but legal fees due to this:
      https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/06/zaycon-lawsuit-reveals-allegations-of-fraud-and-co/
      For what it's worth, their bacon was AMAZING!

      Delete
    3. The only thing I ever heard was that they were not delivering things. Thanks for link.

      Delete
  3. Unless it has changed recently, McDonalds has senior cokes, if you ask. They are kind of small, but are not full price either. I always ask for them when I eat there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      We have never gotten the senior coke, usually just drink our water. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I’ve not heard of woody chicken, but I can use my imagination. I’m sure I wouldn’t like it. That is so sad about the two children and the trees. Trees can be so dangerous for this very reason. That poor family. My heart breaks for them. 😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I just heard of woody chicken and am appalled. You can tell by looking, so that will not happen again. I shed a tear for the family and tiny lives lost.

      Delete
  5. Well, if they go to $1.75 here, we are done buying cokes. We will go to the gas station with refill cups although it will be hard as McD's has the best coke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Some grocery stores have Cokes/Pepsi out front for 75 cents! They went up from 50 cents. Or, we can carry a can from home. Or, drink water.

      Delete
  6. I just LOVE a good thunderstorm 🌩 The bigger, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      I am not a fan of thunderstorms anymore since I have a freezer full of meat to worry about. Also, there are tornadoes to consider. But, often I am in awe.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...