Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Big, Fat Fails

 Today, I went to the retina doctor. There is no change. So, that was good, a relief. 

We went to a place to buy a battery charger for the recliners. No luck. So, I suppose I will buy one from Amazon. And, I don't even know what I need. But, I do need something that gives me more than just the opportunity to use it once to get out of the chair.

Last night, I put one bag of the salad into a huge pot, put in more water than it needed since I was planning for more bags of salad being added. I put it as low as it would go. Then, a few minutes later, I smelled the salad burning and heard sputtering. Well, I did not put it on the absolute lowest hear; I put the eye on the absolute highest heat! So, I waited until it cooled and put in vinegar. Tommy will clean it. 

In my defense, if there is any...lol, I did put it next to the "off" mark, just on the wrong side of "off." I was exhausted and still am. 

The other fail--eggs. I won the six eggs and brought them home secure in the knowledge that since they were just laid and not washed, they would last a couple of weeks in the cooler-than-normal kitchen. Then, I found them on the microwave where they had been for at least a week. The microwave gets warm on top, so I figure I have rotten eggs now. We use the microwave about ten times a day. 

We bought eggs today so I can make the meatloaf tonight. When Tommy gets all the burned salad out and the stuck-on salad off, I will try it one more time. Keep your fingers crossed.

The other thing I will do is chop and sauté the mushrooms for use another day. I found I had two boxes this week like I received last week. Tommy put them in the refrigerator, and I did not realize I had two. I will have to keep them away from Tommy's food, but I can do that. Now to get chopping! 

Yesterday we paid $1 for a Bell pepper. I have never seen such a juicy pepper. The juice was running between my fingers which were very clean...lol. Otherwise, I would have had my hands washed in the juice. Maybe so much juice means it is really fresh. I chopped it all, some for the meatloaf and some for freezing. I cut about six half-inch slivers for Tommy to use on a salad. He decided how wide strips should be.

Have you ever burned your salad by boiling it dry? 

A woman told her husband to notice when the beans started to boil dry since she was going out to buy groceries. She came home to find the beans burned to a crisp. She was upset, asking why he did not notice the beans boiling dry. He said he did, they started boiling dry at 3:15 pm. 


Tonight, my dinner will be salad fixings with a Roma tomato and chicken, maybe on top of the salad, maybe not. Maybe we will have the chicken/onion/pepper on a skewer. 


16 comments:

  1. They say that misery loves company--so I did the same thing, thinking I had the burner on low, only it was vegetable soup. I thought I had ruined the pan, but after several days scrubbing with various things I managed to save it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Having to scrub a pot just adds insult to injury. Right? I groaned when I read what you did. At least mine was a free salad. Sorry about that. Someone will guard this next pot of salad! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Have you checked to see if your battery charger you got for the car would work with your chairs, Mine, I can charge the a phone and a computer. Not sure what yours might do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need a battery backup power source, not a battery charger for the chairs. A battery charger does just that, charges a battery. The chairs are electric.

      Delete
    2. Alice,
      hmmm, I have to figure this out. At any rate, the chair must be turned over to plug in anything. So, this has to be sort of permanent.

      Delete
  3. My mother taught me not to scrub, fill pan with water, add a quirt of dish soap and boil the water till the burnt debris is loose, doesn't take long,(don't let it boil dry, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ming,
      With my luck, I would boil it dry! Right? I put it to soaking overnight for Tommy with vinegar and Dawn.

      Delete
  4. I don't know why these emergency battery set ups are designed to use batteries for just one use, maybe it is unsafe to have it wired into a charger at the same time that it is wired through the transformer(?), I don't know. Another one of those things I would like to call and ask my Dad about, but can't anymore. What I wish is that they would have a design with a standby lever to lower and raise the chair during electrical outages. I could do it for a few days, but just not all of the time. The last lazy boy chair we had was not electric and it was so poorly designed, which I somehow didn't notice in the store, duh. I had a hard time using the lever to adjust the chair back footrest out. It was fine for a while then I noticed my shoulder started having trouble and we ended up having to buy a lever extension for it. After my knees got bad we put bricks (wrapped in foil, fancy, right.... not)to make it high enough for me to get up and down easy.

    I would actually prefer to be able to just use the old fashioned lever set up when the electricity was out, rather than try to hook the battery into a charger while it is plugged into the chair. Is the wire that attaches your battery pack long enough that you can reach it while you are in your chair? If so, maybe you could have an extra unused battery within reach of your chair so you could put a new one in as needed. My battery is wired into a transformer that is wired into the controller for the chair.
    I can just barely get the battery pack to a place where I can reach it from the chair, I used to do that and keep extra batteries in the lamp table drawer, but I somehow stopped doing that as time went by.

    I have never made salad soup. Does it have lettuce in it? I have never made vegetable soup either, my husband is not a vegetable fan. I had borscht soup one time at the English Language School where I used to help tutor in the Level one class. One of our Ukrainian students made and brought in borscht for one of the potluck dinners we used to have sometimes. She used beets, onion, and other vegetables in it and brought it in a crock pot. She also brought sour cream to put a dollop on top of our bowl of soup. It was absolutely delicious. It looked pretty, a deep ruby/beet red, but I could taste other vegetables in it, too. Her version of borscht was smooth and she served it hot, maybe because it was winter. I wish I would have written her recipe down, I could kick myself in the behind for not getting that recipe. I used to get to sample some of the best food from all over the world from students in those classes. Ethiopian home baked bread, Chicken and potatoes cooked in a sauce that had beer and other flavorings in it from Peru, and another chicken dish cooked in mole sauce a Mexican student brought in. Best home cooking from all over the world. Nicest people from all over the world, too.

    I think you always have something good cooking in your kitchen, and I enjoy reading about what you have cooked or are cooking.

    We are having more rain here this morning, quite a bit fell last night , too. Not helpful to all of the people who suffered so such damage from all of the rain water flooding places that haven't flooded many, many years, if ever. At least this rain cools us down from the high 90's.

    Have a fun day today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      An emergency lever would work at least to get a person up. All this talk of putting in a battery is making me crazy since I read how to do it. TURN THE CHAIR OVER! Well, there goes replacing a battery or hooking up anything.

      I might get myself out of a chair once, but that would be it for a lever. Or, Tommy might get me out once. He could use a lever on his old recliner just to get him sitting up and foot part down. It was not a lift chair, something we both needed.

      At least you wrapped the bricks in foil, making it festive for Christmas.

      All the different food sounds like a great experience. I try to make things nutritious, tasty, and cheap. At least Tommy loves vegetables.

      It hurts to hear how the people in Kentucky are suffering. I hope to never have to endure anything like that.

      Delete
  5. I can honestly say I've never burned salad, but mostly because I've never cooked salad. I didn't know that was a thing. But I'm not going to start now, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I guess it is not, and i don't blame you for not cooking your salad.

      Delete
  6. The only salad greens I have ever cooked was romaine lettuce halves put on the grill for about 1 minute just to get some char on the cut surface. I can't imagine how boiled lettuce would taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I hope it does not taste like boiled lettuce. Broth or other vegetables and maybe some chicken might make it pleasant enough to eat. I will let you know.

      Delete
  7. You remind me I have never made a meatloaf. I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Don't forget to put green bell peppers in your meatloaf. Be generous!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...