Sunday, September 11, 2022

All Done

 On Sunday, I did not lift a finger. I was tired this weekend, so this was a necessity. One thing was good, I was not ill like I have been the last two years on my birthday. Of course, this tiredness could be a precursor to being ill as this happens. 

I had forgotten that Lynda's birthday was on the 7th, so needed to do something for her. First off, I bought a little gift bag that cost me $0.33. Since she had said she would like to purchase some of the 48 cans of tuna I bought cheaply from Amazon, I could fit four of those on their sides in the bag. Next, I wanted her to have some of my birthday brownie, so I cut a large one from the center of the pan and placed it in a sandwich bag. I poked a hole in the bag and inserted a yellow candle. That went on top of the cans of tuna. Then, I put a large, juicy halo in to hold the brownie in place. Since I wrote nothing on the gift bag, she can reuse that. And, of course, the rest of the gift was consumable and all food I knew she loved. 

Someone's birthday is on the 12th since it was not Lynda's. Now, I wonder whose birthday I will be forgetting tomorrow.

Since I forgot to put a birthday card in her bag, I will include that with the coffee I am giving her. I won coffee on The Occasional Nomads, vanilla. Tommy did not care for it. But, it won't go to waste. 

We went for a ride once we delivered Lynda her gift. Then, in order not to go home to go out again, we ate. Sonic has been having a delicious looking cheeseburger on Texas toast. We carried drinks from the refrigerator. The park was shady and we watched a baseball game of high schoolers. The Texas toast was so scorched it was almost inedible. A Whopper would have been better. But, now the Sonic ad will hold little lure for me. I had another burger from Sonic once, and think that the footlong chili cheese is the best thing at Sonic. 

I forgot to light the candle I got out to put on the brownie, but that's okay. The sun shone all day, a change from the forecast. I had a nap later on in the day. Tomorrow, I need to make calls and arrange for the only thing I wanted as a gift. 

For a week, the weather will be sunny with no rain and the temperatures will be in the 80s. I am sorry to see the heat go, but it will be pleasant. Today, even though the temp was in 80s, we were very hot in the car. Lynda had sweat on face, neck and chest as she stood beside the car to talk. So, the cooler weather is a way off right now. 

There was a bag of fire ant bait by the front door. When we went out, it was torn open and scattered about. Tommy said a dog or possum did it. The porch was covered in ants going for the spilled bait. I left them until they all were gone. I suppose there are fire ants in some of the pots on the porch or below on the ground. Tommy took both bags, opened and unopened and put them in a trash bag. He covered the broom with a plastic bag, swept all the bait from the porch and discarded the bag into the trash. Now, I wonder if the ants will still come to the open bag in the trash bag. 

9/11 will forever be a day of horror for me. My daughter in Brooklyn called me terrified. Her husband worked 3 blocks from the WTC and she could not reach him. So, the day was quite scary for her and, of course, for me. When you expect the phone call early on your birthday to be your daughter, it is hard to hear some woman screaming and crying, a woman I did not recognize as my own child!

I hope your weekend was clear, blue skies. What did you do at your house?

16 comments:

  1. That was such a nice and thoughtful birthday gift for your friend. And yikes on your daughters phone call on 9-11. 😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      She seemed to like it. I will never forget the terror in her voice.

      Delete
  2. I don't think my grandma ever forgot a birthday. Every year on Jan 1st she would take her new wall calendar and go through the previous years calendar and write down everyone's birthday. She also had a box of misc greeting cards, so she was always ready. Last year I bought a box of misc birthday cards to have on hand and gave my dd some of them. She recently messaged me that she forgot a friends birthday until the last minute and then remembered she had the cards and saved her from having to make a trip to the store that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Every year, I say I am going to write all birthdays on a calendar. Have I? Maybe this year will be the year...lol. I have a box of birthday cards, box of plain cards, box of sympathy cards, all sorts of cards, just so I never have to pay even 50 cents for a card, Look in Big Box for these boxes. It may seem like a lot of cards, but if I die with half of them, it is still a savings to me. Good deal that your daughter saved a trip to the store. Oh, I do have several boxes of just plain cards and one box that is plain, no picture at all, cards. I love the bright colors of the pieces of paper and envelopes.

      Delete
  3. I keep a list of birthdays at the back of my diary and transfer them to next year's diary as soon as I buy it (I've just done it for 2023 in fact). And I think your birthday gift to your friend was very thoughtful - I would be delighted with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Soon I will buy a day planner for the year. Maybe this will be the year I write in all birthdays. I was pleased with my choices and she certainly acted thrilled. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I hope your birthday was a happy one!
    I transfer all of the birthdays and important dates of people I love to my new calendar from the old one every year at the start of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It was a happy one. You are smart. I should do that. I say that eevery year!

      Delete
  5. I am happy you are feeling better, and I worked way too damned hard, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness! I can't begin to imagine that phone call from your daughter on 9/11.

    I keep a list of birthdays in my dairy, I find it easier to do this.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I was gutted to hear her agony. You know how you do not want your child to hurt. And, then, the reason was agonizing, too. But, I lost no one nor did she, so in the end it was all about the whole 9/11 loss of life and peace of mind.

      Delete
  7. They have perpetual calendars that don't ascribe days of the week to the numbers. So you can fill in the calendar once and keep it hanging forever and just keep turning it to the new month. Like this one:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Just-For-Birthdays-Perpetual-Calendar-24-page-6-x-8-closed-spiral-bound-Birthday-Reminder-Book/315852741

    I think your birthday gift to Lynda was really lovely and clever!

    I cannot imagine the absolute terror that your daughter endured on 9-11. She must have thought the world was ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. I need one lots! I did not want to give her something to store that maybe she did not need.

      Oh, my daughter and sil were changed forever and in significant ways. She was terrified and went to get her child she had just dropped off at school, just to keep him safe with her.

      Delete
  8. I keep all birthdays in my head. I probably should stop doing that, One day it will catch me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certain birthdays I will never forget, but new ones are the ones that catch me. I just need to write them all down!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...