Saturday, September 10, 2022

Saturday, Ads, Birthday


Today, we started off later than I intended. But, around 12:30 we ate lunch and left. Tommy needed to pick up prescriptions and get gas at $3.15/gal. I got the ad from The Pig, we cruised Lowe's looking at flowers and the bedding plants. I still want a grill. Then, I went in Publix and got things with coupons or that were bogo, still spending way too much. 

Last week, I bought a brownie mix and made that this evening and had a bit of ice cream with a warm brownie. My goal is to not do anything on Sunday since I will start out the day exhausted, so the birthday brownie had to be eaten today if I were going to have it hot with ice cream. 

While I was in Publix, I called Tommy and asked why couldn't we just eat chicken from Publix and take tomatoes for a salad at home. He agreed. We were going to Zaxby's, but that would have meant sitting in the car in a line and spending much more. I think we spent $8 for dinner--chicken and grape tomatoes. We had shredded iceberg here. It was almost like have a Zazby's Zalad. This was not my birthday dinner, just a gift of time. I did not have to spend time cooking or even using the microwave. lol

Tommy is going to find several more packages of chicken, so we can have that next week. I might put it in the oven tomorrow or Sunday, depending on what he finds. 

I did have my first glass of iced tea in a year or so. I had a free cup of water with ice from Publix, so I put my caffeine-free Lipton instant tea in it with a bottle of water. I was able to make a second glass! It was delicious. Most restaurant tea is gross, so this was really a treat for me. 

When there was just me and I was working all the time, I could never drink the tea made with one tea bag and was throwing out lots of tea, so I switched to instant Lipton tea and have been happy since. I hate tea that has been refrigerated, tea left out all night. So, this works for me. Tea for my birthday!

The big thrill of the day was empty stores. All the million Alabama fans stay home and don't shop when Alabama is playing, so Birmingham and area were mine alone. In The Pig there were only two customers--two mean carrying a couple of items in their hands. No one was even checking out! All the checkers were standing idle. It was weird. 

No one was in front of Lowe's, so we could cruise slowly without anyone being annoyed. There was no line when Tommy picked up his prescriptions. We easily found a pump at the gas station without have to wait in a line. 

Publix was equally bare-ish. It was getting later, so I suppose Saturday shoppers could not wait any longer, but it was not the usual Saturday crush. 

And, ALABAMA won! 20-19, I hear. 

On the day of the Iron Bowl, I plan to shop since stores will be even more bare. I will drive myself since Tommy will be watching the game. 

At Publix, I bought a pelee mum. It looks like fall with the orange foil, and it was fairly cheap. It is outdoors, so I hope it was hardened off. Spice Island Spices are bogo, so I bought two garlic powder and one onion powder. I should go back and buy another onion powder. I have never had this brand onion powder, so I wanted to try it first. 

Tuesday through Saturday of the coming week will be dry, so that makes me happy, very happy. 

Tommy said he would sing Happy Birthday to me on Sunday, which is my birthday, so there is that. Plus, I will have more brownie and ice cream. He never gets me anything for my birthday, but he will get me whatever I want. This year, I want something not tangible, something I have wanted for 50 years. Oh, yes, I forgot. I want a Barbie, too. I have never had one. But, these days Barbies are in many shapes, a good thing, except I want the original type. I know that is silly, but I am old enough to have a Barbie and be silly. I shopped a bit for one today, but it was all so confusing! 

Have you ever seen a pelee mum? I have not. What is your favorite flavor for your birthday cake? My brother wanted a cherry pie and got it. 

32 comments:

  1. TheHub picked up a melee mum today at Publix. it is very pretty on the dining room table. After the blooms die I will cut is back and set it outside for a while before I plant it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I hope this stays pretty outside for a bit. Tommy does not allow anything to be planted, so it will have to overwinter and bloom again next year, I suppose. I am not a fan of orange, but it was very friendly looking, so I figured it was perfect for fall.

      Delete
  2. First, Happy Birthday!!!! A warm brownie is never far. I just cut a brownie, put it in a bowl, microwave for 20 to 25 seconds, then add your ice cream. I do the same way with fruit pies or cobblers.

    Nothing must have in the ads this week but I did go out for some fresh veggies and bacon tonight. The store was not too crowded. I normally go during the week in mid afternoon.

    Take yourself out to eat at your favorite place to celebrate your birthday. I normally go alone as the son and family are not always available. I still think we need a special treat even if alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Thanks.
      Well, I wanted some right now, so did not allow it to get cool. Tomorrow, I can microwave it...lol.

      Maybe the stores were not crowded because of the Longhorns playing Alabama. Well, if you went tonight, the game was probably over.

      We are still not going into restaurants. And, we are staying in Hueytown. I like the bbq, but I have been seeing a Sonic ad, so maybe there. Someday, we will go to Bright Star, a Greek-owned restaurant here.

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a happy birthday! I prefer not to celebrate them. Just another day to me. My go to was always pineapple upside down cake - my mmm used to always make me one.
    Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thank you. I like to celebrate, but differently now. I need to make a pineapple upside down cake someday. I am not so sure I can handle and iron skillet now. I love them just like Mama made.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! Glad to see you're still here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy,
      Thanks. Still here. Are you the Wendy that lives in Canada?

      Delete
  5. The chicken at Publix is very good and makes for a great meal. Kudos to you for saving money instead of buying Zaby’s even though their chicken is delicious too. We love their salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I think I remember always having to pick cucumber out of their salad, so I avoided that. I have not had a Zaxby's Zalad in two years, but Publix chicken breasts can't be beat.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! I hope you are enjoying your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a great day. I always make brownies for valentines day and put a scoop of ice cream and a wee bit of hot chocolate sauce. My husbands favorite is carrot cake and I think my favorite cake would be either angel food or pound cake. I wouldn't turn my nose up to a homemade apple pie either. Your mum sounds lovely. When I think of Autumn, I think of orange colors and rusty colors and I really like the burgundy colored mums. I prefer the darker colors overall. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      Thanks. I had a heart-shaped Wilton cake pan for Valentine's Day. It made whatever cake baked in it very festive for Valentine's Day. I wish I had another...lol. I really prefer any color but orange, but this looked so like fall. Usually, I still go with pinks and reds going into burgundy, plums and lavender. But, I picked this one on a whim.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday - and if I were you I would have Tommy sing for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      As soon as he woke, he sang. He was in pretty good voice at that time. I was surprised.

      Delete
  9. A very happy birthday to you and I sincerely hope you get your Barbie soon! I wished I had kept mine. My twin sister and I enjoyed playing with the original Barbie, her friend Midge, and Ken in the early 1960's.
    The brownie and ice cream sounds like an easy and delicious way to celebrate your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I looked at a wall of Barbies and still did not know which one I wanted or needed--the original. I suppose I have to pay for clothing I don't want either! The one I know for sure is the original has lots of clothing and, of course, is expensive!

      Delete
  10. A very Happy Birthday to you. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Thanks. It has been good. The sun is shining still. There has been no rain so far, and I have not had to cook one thing.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday! I have a brand new Barbie I'd be happy to mail you, but I'm not sure if it's traditional enough. If you'd like it, email me your address 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      Thanks. Yes, I will love a Barbie! Email me a pparsimony@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. I sent you an email a few days ago!

      Delete
    3. Your gift is expected to arrive via the postal service by Friday!

      Delete
  12. Happy Belated Birthday, Linda! Chicken and brownies with ice cream sounds like a good celebration to me!

    Someday I would really like to have a birthday cake that is white cake with vanilla frosting and lemon curd and seedless blackberry jam between the layers. The kids always gagged at the idea, so I will have it when both of them leave the nest!

    Usually I just get a chocolate cake so everyone is happy. What good is a bday cake if no one wants to share it with you?

    My feelings about bdays have gotten mixed the older I get. It took the suicide of a good friend and neighbor to realize that each bday meant I was able to enjoy another year in this world. I LIKE it here, and would like to be part of it for as long as I can.

    In fact, I now consider every morning a re-birthday, and try to enjoy it accordingly. There is good in every day, no matter how badly it goes.

    I would pay good money (at least a quarter!) to hear Tommy warble. I'll bet he's quite the silky singer! :^) :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. I had what I wanted and the salad was delicious with the chicken.
      That sounds like a delicious birthday cake. I think the birthday cake should be what the birthday girl likes.
      Chocolate is always my choice, but yours sound delicious.
      I like it here, too. With my health problems, I just hope I don't leave too soon.
      I read what you wrote and Tommy said to tell you he could at least sing better than Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou. So, there you go.

      Delete
    2. Well, that was a might perky (if somewhat misdirected) version of "Happy Birthday!" so I will send that quarter right along...

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...