Sunday, September 18, 2022

Free Food, Decluttering, "Cream Of"

 Some turn up their nose at the idea of free food. Growing a garden is one idea. Getting surplus from friends or neighbors is good, too. 

Growing one plant in a container works for beginning gardeners or those without space or time or motivation. 

The years I picked up free produce for my chickens were good years. I also ate from that box as did Tommy, taking apples to his house. The owner knew I ate some of the stuff, acknowledged it to me, saying to eat all I wanted from the box he was dumping. 

Now, I grow free food in the window from scraps. Tonight, I saved lots of money by using window-grown onions. Just save the bottom of the onion after using the green tops. Put it in water until roots grow or grow longer. Mine had roots when I put them in water. Now, they can be planted in a pot or in the ground. I just reached up with scissors and snipped off all the tops.  Then, I used scissors to snip them into half-inch pieces. Green onions went into the chicken casserole even though they were not in the recipe. 

By looking for green onions still viable, I grow all the green onions I can use. I just keep cutting off the tops to use. Carrot ends are a good source of carrot tops, greens for flavor and nutrition. At some point I was going to plant them all in one a flowerpot on the porch. But, when I went out one night, roaches were all over the end of the celery I was regrowing for the tops. Now, water in a short glass container in the window works. I will put it in soil before winter because I think it might grow better. I don't know. 

CLICK HERE for a guide to growing 19 different vegetables from scraps.

Last night, I did not get my 7.5 hours of sleep, but that was my fault. I went to bed later than I would have, read longer and then wanted to get up at 10 am to watch Meet the Press. I love that show. So, I took a nap. I am okay with that because I did get my allotment of sleep I need.

The next-door neighbors have decorated their porch for Halloween, the first yard decoration I have seen for the season. The woman on the other side have four extra vehicles where the whole gang came to work in their mother's yard, clearing and hauling to the street. They also put up a huge trampoline in the backyard, right next to the chain link fence for her grandchildren. It looks dangerous to me if someone accidentally bounced off. Maybe they are not through and will move it out a bit or put up a mesh fence. My friend a block away has been lopping and moving the lopped limbs to the road. Everyone has been busy outside, it seems. The mild temps and lack of precipitation and low humidity have inspired people to spend hours working outdoors, it seems.

Tommy is watering the mums and last of the summer flowers. I need to store them somewhere over the winter so that maybe they will bloom next year. 

I have decluttered a bit more. Tommy has plenty of hangers, but he wants to keep every last one, all the hangers from dry cleaning. A few wire ones are good to keep, but too many is ridiculous. There was a pair of rubber rain pants in that box. He says they are too long, coming all the way above his chest. Well, they are about half the waist size he needs, too. So, those will go. That makes one more box empty. 

A basket of soups was retrieved from the back bedroom to replenish the kitchen supply. I think I will start making my own "cream of" soups. Even the healthy request type has enough sodium to kill a person. Now, there is a space in that room that was filled before. 

The chicken thighs were actually legs stuffed in closely, so I only saw round shapes and thought they were thighs. When I remove food from the freezer, sometimes I mistake what cut of chicken I have. There is sage and a bay leaf cooking with those in the crockpot. The breasts, rice, soup, and broccoli are in the oven. 

I put the chicken in first instead of last. Then, when I put in the soup and broccoli, I forgot the rice. It will be okay and the whole dish will cook, but I will have to add water and cook it all a bit differently since the rice went on the top. To top it all off, I forgot to put foil over the pan. THEN, I could not squeeze the foil tight because the glass casserole was too hot. There will be dinner and legs for the refrigerator for Tommy. 

Dinner turned out fine, delicious! 

There are recipes for the "cream of" mixes online. Do you have a different one? 

Have you taken advantage of less than torrid conditions to do outdoor work this week or do you have plans as the temps rise again?

What vegetables do you regrow from scraps? 

18 comments:

  1. I have my green onions growing a glass now. The next one I am going to try is the celery. I have never made a cream of soup mix. I did go stock up on Campbells soups this week. Kroger had them on for a dollar a can, all varieties, so I stocked up to get through the winter. I make a lot of homemade soups but I like to have some cans if I don't feel well. I also use cream of soups in different recipes.

    They also have green or red grapes for $.89lb and dairy milk for .$99 a half gallon. I am going back tomorrow for more grapes, I have already eaten what I bought on Thursday! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Texas,
    I put the onions in a tiny pimiento jar. Then, when they became about ten inches tall, I set the little jar into a short glass. They were getting top heavy. The pimiento jar stabilized them in the short glass.

    There are lots of cans of soup here with 2022 expiration date. So, this winter is okay. I will try a homemade version and if I don't care for it, I will stock up when they are on sale.

    That is a great price on grapes and milk. I wish Kroger were closer to me. I love Kroger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ll take free food when it is offered to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lately I have started putting a can of cream of mushroom soup over my chuck roast when it is looking pretty done. It mixes with the chuck roast juices and makes a kind of gravy. I started doing that a couple of years ago and forgot about it until I was reheating a chuck roast and potatoes that the roast was a little tough the first time around. After being reheated in the oven on low with the cream of mushroom soup over every thing, it was much more tender. I have a back molar that is twinging once in a while so I won't risk eating any meat that is the least bit tough. We have expenses coming up, I don't need a dentist bill. Our Fritzi Pom pup has to go to the vet for a check up before we have her spayed. And then last night our back car window would not close no matter how hard my husband tried. Luckily just two nights ago my husband had bought a club for our steering wheel

    I know it can't always be some expense coming up, but those expensive occasions sure do like to come in clumps..

    Have a fun day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never put a can of soup over a roast. But, it sure does sound delicious. Oh, I have a similar tooth, but soft stuff is what bothers it. I hope it does not rain in your car or an animal gets in and gives it fleas! At least, the car won't be stolen, thankfully!

      Delete
  5. When I was a gardener I didn't grow things from scraps other than what I bought from seed companies, as I wanted certainty. Now I think it would be fun to take a seed from a store-bought item to see what grows from it - often not what the original was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      No, I am not talking about a seed. Read the article. You take the bottom end of celery, white part of green onion, etc, and stick it in water. The green onion tops will grow and you can cut. use tops, and more tops will grow again.

      Delete
  6. I have tried the green onion trick but too many died. My kitchen faces north so I can't grow anything on the windowsill, anyway. And I hate to clutter up my south-facing sills because not only does it look tacky but they face the street so all my neighbors can pronounce me tacky as well. I only care about what folks say when they're right. LOL!!

    I have always wanted to grow my own sprouts (particularly alfalfa) but have been too lazy thus far. One of these years...

    Like any good Midwesterner, I grew up on "cream of" soups. ALL OF THEM. But I don't use canned soups very often because my fam objects. I have made my own bechamel, veloute, and mornay sauce plenty of times, though--it's easy and they are delish.

    After making "crispy chicken legs" one night my fam politely informed me that they don't like legs and prefer skinless, boneless thighs instead. I guess they don't enjoy gnawing on them. Shrug. At least I won't bother to make them anymore and can save myself the frustration. They are nice and cheap but if the fam says no, they just go to waste until I chop them up for dark meat chicken salad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine get no light except for what filters through wooden blinds. Growing food is never tacky!

      I grew sprouts once just to do it and never again. Soooo...

      We never, ever had a casserole with soups growing up. I don't know why. If Daddy objected, it did not go on the table.

      Well, if the family objects, I would not serve it again. But, for cheap meat, you could cook thighs just for making chicken salad. Or not.

      Delete
  7. all "cream" soups are is a white sauce (bechamel). Make a roux (flour and butter) add dairy (I like cream, but you can use milk) simmer -- stir stir stir -- until it thickens. If you want a mushroom cream -- saute minced mushrooms in butter, add liquid and all into the white sauce, cook (stirring constantly) until it thickens. If you want cream of chicken add chicken "cooking juices" or aspic, or chicken bullion to white sauce. If you want an onion white sauce..saute finely minced onions in butter, add to white sauce. And, on-and-on. I highly recommend experimenting with this. I've really liked making celery cream sauce (boiled celery over cooked and blended in the blender to make a slurry) and carrot cream, and bell pepper cream sauce.... I gave up on canned soups years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how to make a white sauce. However, I think I need a recipe for anything else...lol.

      Delete
  8. I keep this mix all the time https://extension.usu.edu/sanpete/files/Soup_or_Sauce_SOS_Mix.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did some yard clean up, installed a new light over the garage, and put up Christmas lights outside while it was nice out.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sassybear,
      You have been busy. You must feel so much better.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...