Friday, September 9, 2022

Lazy

Today was to be taken up by a long list of calls I need to make. I managed to get some calls made. But, few of them ended up positive since people were not in and/or could not help me. 

The Amazon call was so difficult. The only people I can talk with are overseas. One guy could not or would not speak up. So, besides trying to navigate his accent, I could barely hear him. Then, his voice was vibrating, then raspy. then like he was in a bucket. I think he did this, so I hung up. 

Finally, I got a woman who seemed to have the microphone in her mouth so that understanding her was so difficult. She told me to be patient like it was my fault only one box of five I ordered was sent. As for the otc, she said to keep it and she would remove the cost. 

As for my disliking talking to people on the phone whose first language is not English, there is more to it. When I had told one man I could not understand him, he was adamant. "Yes, you can understand me." Over and over. I do believe he was trying to reassure me he could understand me. 

I have studied Latin, Greek, Japanese, and Spanish, so different languages are interesting to me and I was good at these studies. From the time I was 18 other people in my group would ask me to talk with someone who they could not understand. I had a friend who was Japanese, and we worked through understanding each other. So, understanding someone who has an accent is not a problem in person.

However, when trying to convey a problem with an order to someone who speaks too fast and with a heavy accent, and who repeats the problem back to me wrong, I find it annoying. 

It seems Amazon has no agents in the US at this time. They can find cheap labor overseas and do not use employees in the US. This was one of my gripes with ATT. 

Well, I feel lazy even if I have spent time on the phone, working to set a few things straight and get appointments. I did get one appointment 100 miles away. And, feel happy to go to this setting. 

The grocery ads are better for me this week, but I will deal with that tomorrow.

How are the ads at your stores this week?


11 comments:

  1. The ads were nothing to write home about - not a thing I wanted or needed.
    Those workers have a script for questions - and have no understanding how to deviate from it nor are they supposed to. It is quite aggravating. I don't understand why companies think this is OK nor why they continue to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Yes, the script they have to follow is a big part of the problem. Sometimes, I am so frustrated I just hang up and regroup.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you absolutely about call centres. My French is good, since I've lived and worked in this region for over 40 years and I had a degree to start with, BUT when I get a call centre they all seem to have the microphone up their noses and speak way too quietly! A bloody nightmare most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      May I quote you? You are absolutely correct. I knew surely others had had the same experience as I.

      Delete
    2. Treaders, if they are speaking that quietly, I should think the microphone has been stuffed someplace further south! Bwahahaha! ;^) ;^) :^)

      Delete
  3. We’ve been busy, so I’ve not had a chance to check our grocery sale ads, but need to do that before Tuesday. It bugs me as well to talk to some people on the phone as my hearing isn’t as good as it used to be and I have trouble understanding them also. It’s so frustrating and one of the reason I like the closed captions on TV so I can read the, while listening which makes for better understanding for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda.
      I still have not checked all the ads! I depend lots on seeing lips. I have a very mild hearing loss. I used to like some programs in cc, too. Now, I never use cc.

      Delete
  4. I try as hard as I might not to look at ads anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I detest customer service. They provide nothing but aggravation. Yet you must handle them with kid gloves--because massively incompetent or not, they hold the key to getting resolution. GAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I so agree! If I find a good one, I praise her to high heaven.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...