Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Teaching Maybe

Maybe I will have a job. Maybe not. I am considering creating my own job--teaching reading readiness. It would be at a daycare that has all sorts of programs for the children beyond just caring for them while parents work. One worker takes it upon herself to teach sign language and Spanish. She learns it before she teaches. She is quite enterprising. 

All daycare workers must wear a mask, so that will be in my favor since I do not intend to give up my mask in public. Plus, little kids are germ factories, petri dishes. 

I know the activities and need the worksheets. Of course, visiting a bookstore for teachers will give me the ability to find many activities. And, yes, I will read up on the concept. Yes, I can download worksheets online.

Of course, my certification is 7th grade through junio college, but I know what I need to do. 

A first grade teacher told me I was teaching my two-year-old reading readiness skills. The child's "job" was to take utensils from the dishwasher and put them in the drawer in the correct slot for that utensil. I had no intention of teaching a "reading readiness" skill, just taught her the same things I taught the others--sorting. Of course, oldest child, son, learned to sort his toys into the correct bucket--cars, blocks, soldiers, cowboys and Indians. Middle child learned to sort with her dolls and toy dishes. 

There is more to reading, but there are concepts little minds need to gain. Since children are often behind in their reading skills these days, I think my services might be well-received. Even though I have not felt well, thinking about all this and planning lessons has provided me with a happy feeling. 

Tommy will be my helper. I would be annoyed with helpers who don't know how to help. Over-helping is annoying and counter-productive. He was not for helping at all, saying he didn't know how to be a helper in this endeavor...lol. When I held craft camps in the civic center, I had mothers who just came and helped. It was a disaster, especially when they "helped" their own child and stifled the child's creativity and spoiled the experience by standing over their child and pushing for excellence. 

Tomorrow, I will get my allergist on the phone and see what else I can do for myself to keep this crud from returning. Thursday, I have a doctor's appointment, anyway. 

While I slept, a restorative nap, Tommy followed the directions on a bought meatloaf, one given to us. He had a salad. He seemed happy with his dinner. He was diligent in getting the puddled grease from the little pan. He learned from me how to drain it and to use a paper towel to soak up the excess grease before it all reabsorbs and cools to a gel. He hates greasy food since he says he can feel the grease coming out of the pores on his face. ???

When I went to the store before the ads ended, I forgot to get broccoli, so the chicken, rice, soup, broccoli dinner was postponed. Tomorrow, I hope to get all the chicken cooked. I won't be sneezing, coughing, or breathing germs on any food. Actually, I have not sneezed or coughed once. I do still breathe...lol

We were going to Cullman tomorrow, but that is cancelled since I am so ill. This is my usual October illness that seems to be coming early. Do you have a season of allergy induced illness?

The temperature was 75 today, but it was torrid here. cloudless. The good part is the low humidity. That part thrilled me. Are your temperatures cooler now? I do expect we will see 90s again. 

13 comments:

  1. We have had a couple very cool days - close to 90 this weekend. Summer isn't over quite yet in my area.
    I commend your interest in teaching, just not sure how you will be able to that with sleep patterns and up and down health. If you can figure it out, that is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      We have 90s headed back again, too. I just wish we had sun in the winter.
      Those are my only two concerns...lol. Children need help and I know I can help.

      Delete
  2. The job sounds interesting. I hope it works out if that is what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just add my two cents that early childhood development is a specific professional discipline and scope than elementary school age. Taking curriculum and resources designed for older children and pushing down to preschool age may not be developmentally appropriate. I would encourage you to look at the early childhood developmental domains in your state and what .might already be developed rather than investing time in developing your own content. That being said, early learning programs can greatly be helped with more caring adults involved. You may want to look at program already designed to include additional support like Reading Corps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I have taken early childhood course, not all, but many. I know the habits of these children and what they obviously get at home. When five-year-olds don't know the mechanics of drawing a circle, there has not been much investment from adults with whom they come in contact. I think I can handle what I will be teaching. I am not against learning more. Who cannot learn more about any subject? (rhetorical) No children will be harmed in the teaching of sorely lacking skills.

      Delete
    2. What I mean is that the child care or preschool is likely using literacy resources, and you could be a good resource to support implementation. I can't speak to Alabama, but in Minnesota there's a wide variety of emerging literacy programs with terrific outcomes, but need people able to work in partnership with the regular teachers and staff.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I am that as an educator and a mother you would be a natural at helping youngsters with reading readiness. No debate there. Tommy as an assistant? I don't know of any research that shows that grumpy, unreasonable old men can motivate children. I mean, Linda--come on. Tommy kicks and shouts and fusses over plastic cutlery, for gawd's sakes. It's not going to end well, setting him loose with a bunch of 2-year-olds...

    What I REALLY worry about is your health. No blame ascribed, but it's delicate, let's be honest. Small children are living cesspools of germs and bacteria. Just a few minutes around those bubbling little snot fountains is gonna do you in. All it will take is 1 germy kid + 1 hour and you will be out of commission for 2 weeks.

    I would try and find something you can do online. Sylvan hires retired teachers to do remote tutoring--maybe something along those lines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy can be an angel in public. He will not be the motivator, just assist as I need him to. But, I can see why you would say that. Amazingly, he is take to real utensils really well...lol. He won't be alone and will do what I teach him to do. He can follow directions if he has a mind to do so. His pay will be more per hour than at his other retirement jobs.

      I will wear a mask or too and clean my hands well upon leaving.

      Sylvan would pay me $7/hour to teach many children at the same time...this was several years ago. I got three times their wage when I tutored one child that I found or found me.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...