Thursday, September 15, 2022

Wednesday Continued Through Thursday

 When the guys emptied all the cabinets in order to have them clean inside the cabinets, there were boxes of stuff just stacked in the floor filled with items. Well, Tommy was upset that I was going to throw out his stuff. I was not. So, Wednesday night, I tired of having the top of the box that sticks out scrape my leg when I tried to walk in the kitchen. He was adamant that it was all junk and needed to go in the trash. Eventually, he was raising his voice. I could see one of my Tupperware lids and did not know what else below was mine. He did not want to put FREE on the box and place it on the side of the road. He insisted either trash or thrift store. I was having neither. He did not even want me to go through it, saving him the effort. I insisted I had to look at the contents. 

So, he begrudgingly brought the box in for me to empty and go through. There was another one of my T lids. AND, all his good glasses, here from forty-years ago as housewarming gifts. He calmed down a bit when he saw those. They are now in the dishwasher. I did toss a lid lid from a pitcher he wanted tossed this summer. And, there were stored deli containers and tops, none of which matched--trash. I found two of the Kraft Parmesan shakers I washed and a sandwich box that I kept. 

We tossed the carafe from a long-gone coffeemaker. He has the carafe from the last old coffeemaker in the cabinet to use to put water in the new coffeemaker. So, that third one was definitely redundant. He wanted to toss it, so I did. I kept two decent pieces of plastic for gardening. Three of my Ball jars, lids, and rings were in the box, so they were rescued. I imagine this is the last box he will want to toss without looking in it first. So, one box decluttered. That ordeal with the arguing and taking things from the box exhausted me. He had insisted all the boxes were junk. Now, we know. Don't we? 

Drinking tea the last two days has kept me from drinking diet Coke. I just love unsweetened iced tea. Tommy actually got a bottle of water to drink instead of coffee or a diet Pepsi. 

In the Publix ads this week, Miracle Whip is on sale for something like $5.49! I am shocked. By buying at this price, I can save $2.50. Really? How lucky for me. $7.99 will never leave my cc for MW. So, now the hunt will be on for sales on Miracle Whip. I remember when I would cringe when the full price was $4.99. On sale, MW would be $2.50. sigh

I looked through the Publix ad this week and found nothing to circle. I gave it to Tommy. Later, I looked at the ad to see what he circled, and nothing was circled. He said he found nothing. So, back to bummer ads so far this week. I will check the others later.

At The Pig I got a six-pack of Cokes free with $10 groceries--vinegar, zucchini, and something else. When I look over the ads at home and think what I need and is not exorbitantly priced, we will get the 24-pack of water for $.98 by buying another $10 worth of groceries. 

Tommy was driving in front of Publix. People were pulling out of parking places while others were waiting and creeping along, as were we. All of a sudden a woman sort of bounced off the front of our car, putting her hand on Tommy's hood as if to shield herself. I thought he had hit her. No. She was just bouncing off with her hand, not hit, though. She had walked toward us, and then she immediately stepped in front of the car. Tommy slammed on his brake. If she had not been involved with her phone, she would have seen us. The event frightened me even after I realized she was not hit. When she could walk in front of us and was not hit, she immediately went back to her phone. Some days I wonder about people! 

There is a Knorr's Spanish Rice Mix that I believe I got free from The Pig sitting here. I will put a package of thighs in the crockpot to cook on Friday. In about an hour I will put the mix and one of the bell peppers into the crockpot. Tommy loves bell pepper in Spanish rice, so this is for him on other nights.

Maybe we will go through another box! I love decluttering, especially now that I know Tommy is agreeable to going through this junk that was in his cabinets. 

Do you ever have to urge someone you know to declutter or at least watch while you declutter. Take note, I am not trying to get him to get rid of anything. He would have lost his good glasses if I had given in to his wish to be rid of it all and drop the box into the garbage can outdoors.  

Tonight, I am putting carrots, potatoes, another bell pepper, and an onion in the oven. The chicken I cooked last night will be served tonight, too. It was delicious, but I had no onions. I put garlic powder and celery seeds and olive oil in the bag to cook. 

Thursday night, I am somewhat better but tire easily when I think I can work a bit.

Have you had a close call that scared you when you or driver almost hit someone talking on a phone? What have you decluttered lately?


17 comments:

  1. Yes, I once had a lady do that to me in the Walmart parking lot. So scary. I have a packet of that Spanish rice too. I’m waiting for a sale on hamburger to use it for a new to me recipe I want to try. Good thing you went thru that box! You never know what treasures you’ll find. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      So scary. I am going to put thighs in the crockpot and sort of make this up as I go. I hope it will be good all made in the crockpot with chicken thighs. He told me tonight that he would not have been upset if the glasses had been thrown out. But, I know he would have thought I threw them out when they were missing.

      Delete
  2. People are so pre-occupied with phones today - wonder more people don't get hit. Good find on the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be so out of place because I don't keep my phone on or out all the time. He is happy about the glasses. Best thing for me is it proves my point.

      Delete
  3. I decluttered lots of little piles of things before our big Labor Day bash. The kitchen table had been used as a catch-all. The kitchen counters had been a place for random sinus medications to collect. Another spot on the kitchen counters was where several cups, drinking bottles, and random containers were sitting. The room where the grands' toy box lives needed to be tidied up. The other bedroom where I put the clean laundry that I don't want to fold or hang up yet. All those things needed attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Those are the worst little or big clutters, a stack here a pile there. My house always looked so much better after those kinds of decluttering efforts and looked like I had cleaned. Good job. Those are the things I need to do after being ill because the junk just happens.

      Delete
  4. There's no way I would throw out a box of stuff without going through it - hence I'll probably be 110 years old by the time I get done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After going through a divorce, I packed up a bunch of boxes and stored them, and then moved into a tiny NYC apartment, so I left the boxes with my mother and figured I'd go back and get what I needed. After 5 years I hadn't gone into any of them, so I donated them without opening! I still dont know what was in them, but I clearly never needed any of it! I'd never have gotten rid of it if I'd opened them ;)

      Delete
    2. obscure,
      I do wonder what keepsakes you lost. But, that was a good decision if a person can live with it. Something happened to another box in the kitchen, so I am not sure if he just tossed it...lol.

      Delete
  5. Treaders,
    Me too! I once gave away a box, saying to the person, "There is nothing in here I want." Well, I gave away the most racist children's book I have ever seen. It was museum quality content. So, now I go through every box, item by item. I doubt I have enough years left to see everything in every box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there you recently asked a question in one of your comments on the low carb diabetic blog here
    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2600659484694637338&postID=6650662644124956788

    ".Practical Parsimony said...
    Are you familiar with the sweetener SWERVE? If so, what is your opinion? Thanks."

    Hello there and many thanks for your question.
    Sweeteners have been in the news recently, I think due to the report in the BMJ "Artificial sweeteners and risk of cardiovascular diseases: results from the prospective NutriNet-Santé cohort" which you can see on this link here
    https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj-2022-071204

    However, there are also many articles regarding sweeteners on the internet that you may like to read, these two for example

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/artificial-sweeteners/art-20046936

    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners

    Swerve Sweetener seems to be quite popular and there is an article "Swerve Sweetener : Good or Bad?" that you may like to read, see it here
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/swerve-sweetener#what-it-is

    Of course, whether or not to use sweeteners is an individual choice.

    I hope you may find the articles I've highlighted useful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. I will check these out. The only artificial sweetener I consume is in Diet Coke. I am not sure what it is. But, I like iced tea without sugar or any artificial sweetener. I do have swerve, used it once and hated it in my oats. But, I will put it in KoolAid instead of sugar and see how I like that. Thanks again.

      Delete
  7. Linda, Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. It's not good. Swerve or Allulose are better because they don't raise blood sugar. Here's an article:
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/what-to-know-about-aspartame

    Your decluttering story with Tommy further proves my point about him assisting with small children. Both are moody, unpredictable, given to irrational outbursts, and incapable of basic logic. Thoise kids will make mincemeat out of Tommy, because they have the energy to tantrum FAR longer than he does. ;^) :^)

    Talk about a coincidence--decluttering has been big in my world these past couple of days as well! Yesterday I decided to start wading through the stuff DD left in her room; mostly getting rid of clothes she didn't want to move but couldn't bear to throw out. Time and distance have made those decisions much easier to make. I want the room cleaned and well-ordered for her visits and for any other guests.

    It is so much easier to get rid of other people's stuff than your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Of course, Diet Coke is not good for me! What would I expect. I knew once upon a time what was in Diet Coke but forgot.

      Tommy can behave himself in public if he needs to behave. We will see. That paragraph was funny.

      I suppose she is glad she does not have to face her clothes, mocking her and begging her for a new home. Yes, things are easier over time and distance. And, I love to declutter other people's belongings. However, Tommy trusts me to get rid of nothing without his approval. Misplaced trust?

      Delete
  8. So far I am keeping my new year's resolution to throw something out each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      That is a very good resolution. I commend you on keeping it.

      Delete
  9. I am so fascinated by your ongoing purging, organizing, and cleaning project. I try to "see" your spaces and projects through your descriptions, but I'm sure I do not have a clear picture of it. I love to clean and organize, so all your house tidying projects simply titillate me. I have lots of things, as life long collector, but nothing stored or stashed away. Everything we have is regularly used or displayed...nothing in storage, except our holiday decorations that come out once a year. BUT, I sometimes get the urge to give everything away and have a nice clean, barren space aka "abstract minimalism."

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...