Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Thinking of Thanksgiving

 Tommy and I decided, well, I decided to get up  early and go to get things I needed or wanted. Of course, I awoke too early and it was sooo foggy I could not see across the street. By the time I figured out the fog had burned off, it was 10 am. So, we rushed out. 

I did get a thing to protect the glass on the tablet, but could not figure out in what to put the tablet. ugh. And, I got as sd card for my flip phone. 

It seems that construction paper I need is not available. I want to make the red and green chains to decorate for Christmas. All I can find is a $10 pack of solid green or solid red, so not spending $20 on construction paper that will take me 20 years to use. I bought a $1.25 package in DT and it had one sheet of red and the wrong color green. I thought that by starting early, I could find some. 

I bought two more of the 20- or 28-ounce white Corelle bowls, like the two I bought last month. We both like them. I forgot to buy more paper plates for emergency use. Tommy is finally using China or Corelle plates without moaning about "no paper plates." So, not having paper plates will help ingrain this habit of using real plates. 

He went in the first store and returned two purchases. The $2 leggings did not fit and the jacket was too small. So, that money is back on a card. 

There were no Halloween sale items that tempted me. I want two things--more dish towels and a large fake pumpkin to use every year. 

I bought a new plastic trash can for the bathroom--white. The harvest gold can was filthy and finally, thankfully, the top rim was tearing off. I mentioned washing the filthy thing when I came here and was visited by the wrath of Tommy. He said he had never washed a trash can in the house and I could not either. The harvest gold filthy can in the kitchen is next. I have no idea how he can live with the filth! 

In my house, I had a wicker waste basket in the bathroom, but plastic will work just to get the place cleaner. 

We came home famished and exhausted. I had a tuna sandwich. We had to hurry to make it to another place I wanted to go. Then, I took a 2-hour nap. Tomorrow, we will take my shoes back to SAS. 

This morning, I was awaked from a sound sleep by the guy's souped up Mustang. I awoke with the bed shaking, thinking I had been thrown from the bed. I am not sure how a car can start with such a roar! He continued to rev it for about ten minutes before roaring off down the road! His son got a motorcycle that he does the same thing with when he leaves. But, thankfully, he is off to college most of the time. I suppose the guy is going through a mid-life crisis, but this is round before 7 am. 

Dinner was the last of the pork loin for Tommy and carrots and potatoes, I think. I have not eaten and have no idea what I will eat. Oh, I had chicken and cheese and salad before the nap, so that is holding me just fine. 

Okay, my thoughts are now on Thanksgiving. I want to get the two turkeys out of the bottom of the freezer and roast both those, using the breast of one for our meal, cooked ahead of time as everything will be. Actually, I will hire someone to come do a few things here. I have one package of cranberries in the freezer. I need to cook those and freeze for T Day and find good prices for more. I have cranberry sauce in the can since I love both. I have pumpkin and Pet Milk for pies. I have soup and green beans for Tommy's green bean casserole. Of course, I have sweet potatoes which will not be polluted with stuff for our meal. I like them plain. 

I will need to look for things on sale or reduced--Fries onions, and potatoes. But, Idahoan may be all we have or need. There is a package of frozen broccoli in the freezer that will work for Thanksgiving. 

This meal will be prepared a little each day like I have done in years past. It is easier that way for me.

Have your thoughts turned to Thanksgiving now that Halloween is past? Right now, what are your plans for food, company, or travel? 

13 comments:

  1. I would just wash the trash cans without asking. Nothing he can do about it, if he doesn't know you are going to do it. Odds are he wouldn't notice anyway.
    I have all I need for Thanksgiving goodies that I may make. I will probably be at my niece's home for that day with my brother and his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      These waste paper baskets and kitchen trash are so nasty I would have to wash them in the tub or outside. I cannot wash around his shower doors or outside because of my back. I am not going to stay in bed for washing things he will yell about! I did do some things he forbade me to do. Just would not wash them, so they have stayed filthy and germy.

      Delete
  2. I am going to try and talk my husband into the idea of us buying a cooked Turkey and stuffing from the cooked Thanksgiving meals that they have at some of the stores around here for Thanksgiving.. I could then make mashed potatoes and maybe the green bean casserole. I'll buy a frozen pumpkin pie and a pecan pie for my husband and I to share. First we will have to price how much just a cooked turkey and stuffing would be. If the turkey doesn't come with stuffing, I can easily make that. That meal would certainly last us a few days for Thanksgiving week, and some turkey meat for the freezer to be thawed for future Turkey sandwiches.

    We are invited at my daughter's house, of course, but I can't make it up the steps into her house this year. My knee just won't bend enough right now due to the swelling. Plus last year, I was ready to come home after two hours, because there is nowhere there I can sit that isn't real low furniture. Everything is real low and modern furniture, and very hard to get up and down from. My rollator is comfortable, but I needed to get my legs up. I don't mind missing Thanksgiving too much.

    Have a nice day wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      You started out great then the whole plan stopped and you will be cooking a lot. Have you ever considered cooking a turkey now and freezing it in small packages for Thanksgiving? Buying pies sounds good to me, but I want mine like I want...lol.

      It is too bad you cannot get up the steps. I have always like higher furniture, but now, not so much now. I can get up steps still, even with my swollen leg, but I would need a nap. I understand about leaving after two hours. Feed me and let me go home.

      Delete
    2. If the store says they cook and mash the potatoes at their catering place I will buy theirs, but I do not like boxed dried mashed potatoes at all. If they do not have corn bread stuffing, , I will probably get their stuffing. The frozen pies are easy (I probably just jinxed myself for life with that statement ha ha) and the green bean casserole is optional. Because only I would be eating it. Green beans never cross my husband's lips.

      Delete
    3. Susie,
      This is the second time I have typed this! I would definitely check and see if they mash their own potatoes. I imagine they are frozen. I prefer cornbread stuffing but will eat any except oyster stuffing. We both like green bean casserole, but Tommy really loves it. Green beans are my favorite vegetable!

      Delete
  3. We have given Thanksgiving some consideration. I have a deal with my 4 kids...they spend Thanksgiving and Easter with their 'other parents' and I get them for a manditory Christmas eve dinner. Usually my husband's youngest son invites us for dinner but last year his daughter-in-law got her panties in a knot and did not invite us. We ate here.
    This year, not only will we be alone, but our kitchen/dining room is undergoing a major face life and we have a totally empty space (not even running water in there). We have decided to eat out and have reservations for T-day dinner at one of my favorite restaurants.
    Working on your dinner day by day sounds like the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan,
    Working out arrangements months ahead of time seems more reasonable than arguing about it. I cannot understand all the drama with the holidays. No matter what was going on, we always got along at my mother's house. No one wanted her to be disappointed. Of course, if she had lived these past 40 years and had more children married, maybe there would be more drama and not inviting.
    Not having a kitchen or running water is never a good thing, ever! When you get the new kitchen, I bet you will cook up a storm! Or, just look at how pretty it is.
    Cooking one dish each day is the only way it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SAM,
    My children live in NYC and south Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just going to be 3 of us for Thanksgiving. My DD and her fiance can't make it home.

    Nobody likes turkey all that well, and I don't want to cook; I'm considering ordering from a store as well. Some bird (but not a whole one), some sides, and no cooking. Sounds like something I could really be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Since I love turkey, nothing else would do. But, I understand if no one is expecting it or doesn't care for it. I like the idea of no cooking.

      Delete
  7. I really like the tradition of Thanksgiving even though we don't celebrate it here & I love reading about the decorations and food. It reminds me of the Harvest Festival which we used to celebrate in church as a kid - a time to give thanks for the harvest initially. Mum used to do the display in the church of all the vegetables and fruits. It's just a lovely idea to spend a day being grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I am not sure how many spend the day being grateful, but we Americans sure like to eat and stuff ourselves. I love the traditions and decorations, too. A friend gave us her pumpkin as she was tired of it. So, we have three pumpkins and a butternut squash...our little display. I wonder how many people even think of harvest nowadays.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...