Monday, October 10, 2022

My Quest; My Hair

 Tuesday happened like I planned it. The day was well under way before we left the house. We picked up my shoes from SAS. I need a wider size because of my swollen feet. sigh Then, I looked for leggings and came home empty handed. 

However, I did find some long-sleeves tops that may or may not fit. I have yet to try them on. I tried on the two dresses and they both go back. sigh 

I did find the pants like the ones that dumped things. However, the pocket is a bit deeper and not sewn down. So, these may work. When I try them on, I will just put things in stacks, fit and return. 

Sunday night, I slept well and slept until about 9:30 Monday morning. Then, I fought a nap when we arrived home. Since we had meat cooked in the refrigerator, I still did not cook the chicken. We agreed to eat what we had: pork, sweet potato and salad. 

I like water, so this is not a problem with getting enough liquids. But, the three days I made and drank iced tea, I did not want a Coke or even milk. I did drink milk, but didn't seem to drink it many times in a day. Tommy does not have an ice maker and I don't see him ever paying anyone to hook one up even if he gets another refrigerator. 

Yes, it is a quest. I want two ice cube trays with lids. The Amazon search is still on, but nothing measures up. I want two trays, one for Tommy and one for me. I don't think, well, I know his hands aren't clean half the time! The freezer has limited space and things are always crooked. So, I need a tray that will hold the cubes until we crack them out, one at a time if necessary.

No, there is not room for a box on the door where we can use a scoop.

I remember Tupperware having a tray with a seal. Tupperware seals did hold well. I looked at Tupperware recently and the lids/seals come off very easily. So, Tupperware is out. All the other trays with lids do not hold. I read the reviews for each one. All the reviews so far have the complaint that the lid falls off or is not tight. I am not trying to keep air out, just cube in the tray. 

Does anyone know of a brand of ice cube tray with a lid that holds tight?

Two days ago or more, I cut the length of my hair where I could see it. When I would flip my hair forward where it hung over my shoulder, it was really long, so I cut about two inches. It is still long enough that it touches my shoulders. Then, I decided to cut a bit more of the length of the back since it looked silly with the longer area not blended. 

Today, I sat in the lawn chair and had Tommy cut the rest to a length that blended and was a U-shape. Then I pulled up all the crown straight up and had him cut off the length and straggly part. So, now it is done unless I decide it needs layers, especially around the front. That will be for another day. It looks so much better and feels better. It was getting overly shaggy and weird looking. Tommy said it looked like jack o lantern teeth in the back with some places two inches longer and other places just snaggled. 

My hair color with tax is $10.95 in the store. From Amazon I can get it for $6.63, so it will be delivered every month. 

The weather is so nice, free of rain, sunny, and just warm enough. I woke this morning needing my inhaler and running a fever. So, maybe October won't make me too miserable this year. I just heard on the weather that it has not rained for 35 days. So, with nothing to clean the air, the dust is making weather people miserable along with me. 

Right now, we are making a list of things that we need to do on Tuesday. It is long but easily done. If we don't get things done, we can carry it over to another day. 

Do you know of an ice cube tray with a lid that stays on? Do you have someone who is not a licensed professional who helps cut your hair? Or, do you have a licensed professional who does your hair at your home? Has this always been available to you or has covid led you to seek help at home? 

23 comments:

  1. I have some small silicone ice trays. If you can't find one with lids, get some of those. I put them in a ziplock bag to keep them fresh. They lat flat, dont take a lot of room. It is easy to pop out a couple at a time. One for you, one for Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I will have no problem with ice not being fresh. I use many trays a day when I use it. However, if I can get enough for ice everyday for tea, it won't get un-fresh. Tupperware had a tray that sealed, so no dripping it gets uneven. No tray will lie flat in this freezer--too much stuff that is not flat on which it will have to sit. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I create disaster whenever I try to cut my own hair. I want to get bangs cut and my hair trimmed before winter and all of the colds and illness start. The last time I got my hair cut may have been over a year ago. I showed the haircutter a picture of myself with a cut I wanted and she wouldn't cut bangs for me like were in the picture. She said it is too hard to do because I have a cowlick. I can't believe I went ahead and went out without bangs, but I didn't want to spend any more time with her because she didn't have on a mask. My hair is getting uneven at the edge and way past my shoulders. My son said he may be home for Christmas. I am wondering if he is going to bring his girlfriend. He works in the Netherlands, and she works at the Pentagon. I would like to have my hair styled in some non-Sasquatch way. I have my second lymphedema physical therapy session coming up very soon. After that I will be wearing my compression leg wraps. Nervous about that, and hoping they will work.
    It is supposed to rain here all day today and all Wednesday. We haven't had rain in more than 3 weeks so the roads this morning will be slick with dust, and build up oil coating from when it has been so hot and dry. I have seen cars skidding all over one other time when it was a long time between rain. It was like they were on ice, but all it was was dust and oil and water combining.

    Have an adventurous day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I would be shocked if a hairdresser refused to cut bangs. It is not hard, just hard for her. I might get up and leave, pandemic or no. Yeah, no Sasquatch.
      Can lymphedema not be cured? Email, me, please.
      Tommy does not believe me about the slick roads after a rain from oil buildup. He keeps zooming along, careless!
      It is going to rain tomorrow. I hate that...lol.

      Delete
  3. When my daughter-in-law was pregnant and craving ice, I bought her a counter top ice maker. Solved a lot of problems for her. Right now, we are in the midst of a new kitchen (finally) so our fridge with ice maker is in the middle of the dining room. No ice for us for now.
    I have had the same woman cutting my hair for about 15 years. She's younger than I am and is very trendy...no old lady haircuts for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I have been eyeing a tabletop icemaker! When you get the refrigerator in place, won't it be wonderful?
      When the pandemic hit, my hairdresser not only had a thumb replacement, she moved! So, I have cut my own. I need one younger than me just so she won't die on me. Good for you not getting old lady haircuts.

      Delete
  4. I find ice trays with lids at the $ store. If I wait for a sale and seniors' day I can get hair colour for about $6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie,
      Good to know. Which dollar store? What brand is the hair color. Some brands are not good for my hair.

      Delete
    2. I saw this one at Dollar Tree that looked pretty good:
      https://www.dollartree.com/ice-cube-trays-with-clear-lids-14x1225x175-in/307920

      Delete
  5. Re; ice trays - there are fully encased ice cube molds that you fill like a small bottle, and some that come with a top that fits snuggly and molds the ice into small balls and cubes. (https://amzn.to/3ywBLAL) Was thinking the kind fully encased like a bottle would mean if Tommy was to get you ice for your drinks, he could massage the bottle, pour the ice out the top into your drink and never touch the ice (since you are concerned about dirty hands!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B's,
      I will have to check that out. I passed by the small balls for several reasons. The bottle one I did not see. Yes, his hands are not clean. He may wash his hands sometimes when I complain, but when I touch his walker, it is sticky and nasty. He says it is his walker and he does not have to wash it. ewww

      Delete
  6. Do you have Ben Franklin (craft store) in your area? I bought leggings there this year. Strange place to get them, but they were very lightweight, a great price, and in assorted colors. Probably aren't higher end quality, but should work fine for me. I have friends who love their countertop ice maker. Would that be an option? I just use normal trays for my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie,
      I have heard of Ben Franklin but not a craft store. Was it a five and dime before? I will check for it. I am not looking for higher end, just to wear under dresses. I am leaning more to the countertop model ice maker. I have plenty of regular trays, but one of us would just make it slide out. Things slide all the time.

      Delete
    2. Try Googling "best bargain black leggings" and see what you come up with. But it seems to me that Amazon is going to be your best option for looking at a variety of price points...

      Delete
    3. I looked on Amazon today. I will see what I find that looks good. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. My Tuesday did not go as planned, but that's okay. I got other things instead. I got some free climbing hydrangea cuttings, and I spent much of the afternoon potting them.

    I got 4 pots of 5 cuttings, and 1 pot with 2 cuttings. I have lots of very tall trees on my property and I am going to plant the hydrangeas under them so they use the tree trunks as supports. Climbing hydrangeas don't damage the structure they're climbing on, so the trees will be fine. It will take years before they look grand, but I can wait. The blooms will be white. And they will provide food for pollinators. Not all hydrangeas do, you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I have never heard of climbing hydrangeas before. It sounds like you had a busy and fruitful day. Now, I am going to look up climbing hydrangeas. I know nothing about hydrangeas, but I do know what they are when I see them.

      Delete
    2. I did not know about climbing hydrangeas either, until the cuttings were offered! Did you look them up yet? They are beautiful!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I did look them up. I have seen plants I thought were hydrangeas, but not the right shape plant. Maybe I have seen them and did not know what they were.

      Delete
  8. I've been shaving my own head for years. I highly recommend it. (haha)

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...