Saturday, October 8, 2022

Sweet Potatoes and a Yard Sale

 Saturday, we went to Cullman to the Festhalle Farmer's Market. There were few vendors left when we got there about 11 am. But, my sweet potato farmer was there. His 40 lb boxes of sweet potatoes were not there, just 32 lb boxes. I got the last one. Maybe I will go out to his farm for another box. This won't be enough. 

He also had a $5 container of really tiny squash, bred for their thin skins and smaller seeds. Good. The squash I bought at the grocery store were tough as leather and had huge seeds. 

The whole day was warm and downright bright! The blue skies were so bright! I must get prescription sunglasses. I was blinded all day. The day was very warm, so I decided I should get out something summery and wore my striped outfit, the one with a floral print, too. The red t-shirt I was going to wear will be appropriate all winter long, but the summery one won't. 

We drove another 15 miles out in the country for a sandwich from the Mennonite store, Dutch Oven Bakery. We shared a sandwich that had turkey breast slices 1/2 inch thick. The slices were thin but stacked high. It was delicious and plenty. We both had a peach fried pie, hand-pie. It was awful. First of all, there was dribbled over it an icing of powdered sugar. Plus, the pastry was flaky like store bought goods. The filling was thickened, very thick, lacked peaches but had too much sugar. I never did find peaches, so quit eating. 

They sell wrapped candy by the piece. I had pecan in caramel dipped in chocolate. I chose peanut butter filling dripped in chocolate for Tommy. These went up from 3/$1 to 60 cents/each. We sat under a tree and ate in the car. We could get out and eat at a picnic table, but the wind was very rough. 

The store where I bought Double Luck green beans for $0.69 still had plenty. Five cans came home with me. I should have bought another 10 cans. 

At the PO I had a huge package, dishes I ordered from Belks at a great sale price. I hate them, so they are still in the car to return them. They are they type dishes that have the scuff marks on the pieces like they are old and scuffed. Nasty looking. 

On the way back from the bakery, I wanted to go to the orchard to get apples. But, Tommy passed it. Usually, I would have him turn around and go back. But, today, I told him we could go there next time. I had assured him he should stop at a yard sale we passed on the way out and told him not to stop. But, at the first yard sale I spotted on the way in, on the way out we did stop. 

I found books for a quarter apiece. I purchased a workbook, the kind with pages to copy for children. The activities were all early childhood lessons and the first part was reading readiness. If my back had not been hurting so, I would have shopped more. As I was digging around in my purse and came up with only three fivers, she said to just forget it. Okay. 

This is just the type book I would have bought to use at the daycare. Many of the pages were ripped out, but still stuffed into the book. Okay, I am ready to go. Oh, this table also had about a dozen tiny, blunt scissors. This sale would be great for a mother, home-school teacher, or a teacher. I didn't ask the woman what the setting of the teaching was. Now, I wish I had looked for manipulatives.

The best part of the day was getting home to a nap. Well, having a meal ready for after the nap sure helped my happiness. 

Decluttering--I found the top to one of Tommy's Tupperware canisters. He says he bought these at a five and dime. No! I also salvaged and put into the dishwasher another one of my Tupperware bowls and lid, something I sent home with food. One lid from a cheap container is in the trash. I will probably work on this box intermittently for the rest of the evening and tomorrow. Hopefully, the box is empty by Sunday night. We will have even more walking room in the kitchen when I finish. Yay for decluttering! 

We had leftovers: pork roast with bbq sauce, rest of squash and zucchini for Tommy, salad with grape tomatoes for me. 

After dinner the microwaved peach fried pie was better, sort of. At least there were peaches in this half but not many. Still, the pastry part was like a fresh glazed doughnut, not what I was hoping. It was still too sweet. And, strangely, the gelled part did not get softer when heated. 

How did your Saturday play out? What is on the agenda for Sunday? Do you like fried pies?

12 comments:

  1. I had fun day. Spent most of it in bed recovering from a migraine. I got up in the morning and put a small brisket in the oven. When back to bed, slept for about 3 hours,got up and showered. Went to the store to grab fresh green beans and cheese to make homemade mac and cheese. Stopped a grabbed a pizza next door. I was watching the grandson while his folks went out. Sometimes they want junk food. When with Grandma they get what makes them happy. I have some yummy things for the next few days.We had a great evening whatching Robin Hood, then just things a 9 year old would like..

    I have never met a person more in love with sweet potatos as you but I have not have the kind you describe. I like them but is usually will involve brown sugar, pecans and butter, that negates the health benefits they offer.

    Lord protect us from peach pie in any form. I love it, I most often make a cobbler, the son's favorite. We do like it covered in vanilla ice cream. Tommy can at least enjoy a good dessert without the ice cream.

    Nothing so much fun as good yard sale that have things that seem to appear just for you. I love church cook books and tupperware. I would suggest when you find good tupperware, wash it by hand, do not put it in a dishwasher. I have some that is 50 years old, still perfect buy I do treat it with care.

    Have a great Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I have only had migraines for about three months one time. I am so glad I never had another one. But, you got a lot done for having been put out of commission with pain.
      Today, I decided I am going to get out a pizza crust mix to use some of the jar spaghetti sauce. Grandkids count on getting different food. Mine always did.
      I do love sweet potatoes. I am thinking about making a sweet potato pie using my pumpkin pie recipe. And sweet potato bread using the pumpkin bread recipe.
      The Tupperware will be washed by hand. It is greasy from being stored where gas is used for heat. But, Dawn will cure that. I would have like to shop more at that yard sale.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I forgot to say, go to the dollar store and get some sunglasses that will fit over your regular glasses. That is what I have done, works fine saves a whole lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of pair of those sunglasses and they hurt or do not stay on! I suffer too much pain without proper glasses.

      Delete
  3. Linda, you could also get clip-on sunglasses. I have the kind that flip up when I want to see things clearly. They don't perfectly match my frame shape, but they do cover the entire lens area and prevent me from squinting.

    Also, did you know it's possible to have magnetic clip-on sunglasses made especially for your frames? There are companies who make them, and your ophthamologist should be able to help you out. It does involve sending your glasses to their lab so they can custom make the sunglass covers. So you would have to have a backup pair to wear in the meantime (2 weeks) But the convenience is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I tried to get clip-ons. Nothing clips to my frame. Well, not the ones at optometrist and not the ones at the store. I wonder. If I don't have an electric cart, I am sunk!

      If I have backup pair, I have to pay for that. I suppose I can start all over looking for something.

      Delete
  4. That sounds a lovely weekend indeed, esp. the nap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother made wonderful fried pies! She usually made them with dried apples or dried apricots (the family favorite) She used the dark orange California apricots NOT with those pale Mediterranean tasteless ones that are so common these days.

    My mother said that when she and her brothers were children my Grandma often had hot baked sweet potatoes waiting as an after school snack. The boys would load a few into their pockets when they went outside to care for the animals. They first served as pocket hand warmers before being eaten. The children peeled and ate them like a banana! I bake a mess of them then heat them for breakfast or a snack. I warm them in the microwave in their jackets then open and dig in. I do like to add a little butter and a light dusting of salt and pepper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used dried apricots, forgot what brand. My mother made delicious fried pies, too.

      In the fall I liked to wrap a sweet potato in a dishtowel and take it outside and eat it. I loved to do that, not sure why. I did get them straight from the oven. I, too, bake many at once and also have had them for breakfast and snacks. I add a bit of butter, but never salt and pepper. We do think alike.

      Delete
    2. No brown sugar marshmallow mess for me!
      I do have a recipe for baked sweet potato slices that are somewhat sweet.. Sweet potatoes are peeled then sliced into circles/ ovals. Tossed with S&P & olive oil then spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet. They go into a hot oven for maybe 5 min. I then pull them out and turn them over and place back in the oven until they are tender. At this point I mix up a small quantity of brown sugar, finely diced pecans and a bit of cayenne powder. This should not be ignored. The tiny bit of cayenne is what makes these so special and tasty. I take a pinch of this mixture and sprinkle it on each slice. At this point you either place the trays back in the oven or for a very quick trip under the broiler. Both of my granddaughters loved them and requested them every fall. They can be served as a side dish or as a hors d'oeuvre to be eaten as a finger food.

      Delete
    3. I like brown sugar, but I don't like anything hot on my sweet potatoes. This is an interesting take on sweet potatoes.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...