Friday, October 7, 2022

Target Visit

 My friend went to have the stitches out of her forehead, about 15 stitches. The doctor said she most definitely has a concussion. She is driving, working, and going back around the children with a splitting headache. 

She also had Medicare pay for a workplace injury, contrary to instructions in the 2023 Medicare guide. I certainly hope she does not get into trouble for that. I have no idea what Medicare can do to her. 

We did practically nothing today. Tommy picked up meds. They keep forgetting to fill them. We sat there so long I think they had forgotten them again. I have been working on loading the dishwasher by myself. But, at the rate I am going, it would take a week. I did declutter a bit, throwing out three things.

Today, I made my third trip ever to Target, and I am not impressed. The store was nice looking, aisles were wide. Well, except for in the grocery aisle where the aisles were barely wide enough for two carts to pass. There were no clothes in a style I like and in my size. I was told I could order online. I have no idea how the sizes run. 

Inside the front door were racks and racks of $5 items. Even Tommy slowed down, admiring them. I dared not slow down near the Halloween aisles or the cute things for infants and little children. I did slow down for the pretty, flower-shaped basket, all wire covered in cloth or something all wrapped around the wire. 

If a person needs storage items or organizational items like bins, baskets, cute shelves, Target is the place to pick up what is needed. I was impressed with this section. 

I was searching for a CVS branded product because there was an announcement that CVS pharmacy was located in Target. But, the items on the shelves in that area are not CVS, So, I wasted ten minutes looking for something that was not there. 

The first time I ever visited Target was forty-years ago. I went in looking for something, got it and came right back out. The other time I did not find what I was looking for and came out and went home. I probably won't go back a fourth time. 

We had a big thrill today when a wild bunny appeared to be trapped in a yard behind a chain link fence next door. He ran like the wind to another part of the yard and disappeared. Between dozens of huge yellow butterflies, birds and the bunnies, we find things to amuse us. We wonder the name of the yellow butterflies. 

Dinner tonight was a mushroom Swiss burger. Tommy had leftover potatoes, squash and zucchini. I had salad with my burger. Neither of us had a bun. 

Update: I heard Target carried Tupperware, so I checked that display. There was only one set of Tupperware bowls, the ones with the rays radiating from the center, the style where resting the elbow in the center and pushing down was the way to seal it, like cannisters. 

Do you shop at Target? What is your opinion of the store? 

20 comments:

  1. Haven't been in a Target since 1992 and never will be. Not a fan.
    So your friend did NOT lose her job as predicted. Glad to hear she still has a job, but very sad she is working not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I am not a fan, either. I may have been in one the first time about the same time. I still think her job is on the line. But, she needs the job.

      Delete
  2. Target being a Minnesota company, I grew up shopping there for school supplies, clothes, and basics. They've rebranded multiple times to be more upscale than Walmart, particularly getting celebrity type products like Joanna Gaines. I probably more wander in Target than buy, but there are some Target own brands I use exclusively that compare to Neutrogena and Oil of Olay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM.
      Now, I know so much more than ever since I knew nothing. Thanks. I might go back.

      Delete
  3. I loved Target when my kids were little. Now not so much. I find that their clothes for adults run small and they never seem to fit me right. Even Rebecca doesn't like the way their clothes fit. I haven't been in a Target store in probably 3 years or so. The closest one to me is over an hour away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I am glad to hear your opinion and experience. If you and Rebecca find the clothes don't fit right, that is good enough for me.
      It is so good to hear from you as I wondered how you were.

      Delete
  4. The Target near me remodeled their store and moved departments around. Now the food section has even narrower aisles then they did before. I was not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I wonder if this one has been remodeled or is due to have the aisles made even smaller than now. This Target is about 15 miles from me, so not some place I would just go in because we are there.

      Delete
  5. I always loved Australian Target. I'm not sure how it would compare to your version.
    Unfortunately Target here has had a huge downturn since K-mart started to compete more directly. I don't see it lasting a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      There are no more KMarts in this part of the South. When KMart and Sears joined, I think they both went down together. I found a few things at KMart. But, the junior department, for young and tiny women or teens, had really cute items. KMart was always good for select groceries and for housewares, unlike Target. I don't know how they would compare, either. I found pants I loved and an occasional blouse, nothing much else in clothing.

      Delete
  6. I have a Target close by but rarely go there. The people who shop there leave it like a dump. I don't like Target clothes because as Rachel noted they skimp on sizing and the fit always seems off. The only thing I enjoy is the food section, which has items I can't get at regular grocery stores. But many times they are out of stock so it can be frustrating.

    Our local K-Mart and Sears have closed. Walmart is about the only lower-priced game in town, and as we all know, they have severe stocking problems as well. Good thing I'm not a recreational shopper! I rely very much on Amazon to get me what I need, and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Target where I went was immaculate. But, the whole town is immaculate. If they skimp on sizing, I am giving up right now. I didn't look much at food. I did notice that not one can was missing from a display on shelves. Maybe no one buys anything.

      Amazon is looking better all the time, for sure.

      Delete
  7. PS: Linda, you are absolutely right--my DD loved to shop at K-mart as a high-schooler, because they really had an amazing Junior's dept--cute, fashionable clothes at a great price! So sorry it folded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stylish and cute and tiny hairdresser would always say she bought things from KMart when I complimented her outfits.

      Delete
  8. Late to the party, BUT, Circa 1995, I used to love Target, specifically for their kids' clothing like basic t-shirts, polo shirts and shorts. Around 1999, though, they rebranded and tried to go upscale, and the clothes just weren't as nice, so I stopped going there. Plus, I discovered thrift shops. I do not get the love affair with Target--I find it a store of overpriced, cheap goods posing as a higher end retailer. I'd just as soon skip the pretense and shop at WalMart. Although, I have found that Target's Threshold brand, 100% cotton sheets are as nice as higher end bed sheets. I also have yet to find a better value-for-the-quality sheet than their old "Shabby Chic" brand white, cotton sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Thanks. I guess I came too late to the Target party. But, I am in the market for new sheets that are good quality and don't cost an arm and a leg.

      Delete
  9. I cannot remember when I last went to Target. There is one nearby but the traffic to get there/park etc discourages going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      There was no traffic near the one I visited. I doubt I will be going back.

      Delete
  10. I am a huge Target fan! The store nearest to me is always clean and well stocked unlike our local WM. I buy nearly all my beauty and cleaning products at Target. I also buy many of my canned goods and shelf stable items. I rarely purchase meat or produce items there.
    I use the CVS pharmacy inside our local Target. There is never more than one person ahead of me in line. I am greeted by name.

    I try to avoid Walmart but they do carry items that Target does not stock. I order from Amazon more often than I enter WM

    ALDI is a newcomer here in southern California. I have found that I like many of their items. I don't go to Aldi or Trader Joe's very often as they are some distance from my home. I usually visit these stores when I am in that neighboring town for a medical appointment. I am trying to be very careful of my gas costs so tend to do quite a bit of shopping in my neighborhood ethnic markets.

    Speaking of gas. I drove up to my daughter's home on Tuesday and will drive home tomorrow (Fri) She lives 90 miles away but a visit with her and her family certainly makes the gas cost seem unimportant.

    I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      You sound like a big fan of Target. Maybe I will be someday. I rarely go to WM. It sounds like Target is good for you. I like a drive-up pharmacy and CVS is the least annoying...lol. We have Aldi, but not a Trader Joes nearby. If a store does not have an electric cart, I cannot go there.

      I am glad you are visiting your daughter. The cost of gas will be negligible for that visit! Have a good time.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...