Sunday, November 20, 2022

A Beautiful Beginning and End to Sunday

Plus, it was good all day...lol. 

Today dawned bright, beautiful, and cold! Cold is okay as long as it is sunny and dry. I slept well and long! We went for a short drive, and while we were out, I stopped by The Pig to see if I could find pie crusts. I did. The place was so crowded! Pie crusts will probably be on sale in the Tuesday ads since I bought them this week at regular price. I don't want to take a chance. I did buy two, thinking we don't even need one pie. However, I will make at least one pie for Thanksgiving and pie when we actually eat a turkey dinner the next week. So, today, I bought another package of two. 

This next bit was cute, funny, sad, not sure. But, definitely not a criticism of skills. He just does not know. Really, I need to record every word spoken between us as he swears I always get it wrong. 

For some reason Tommy decided to load the dishwasher when I was ill this last week. He said he loaded the utensils into the dishwasher door and "they are all pointing up." That was really nice of him. When I am ill, I am so lethargic. Then, when I was starting to feel better, he said he put all the plates into the dishwasher. Wow, he is getting very helpful. But, I felt guilty. 

When I put in dishes later, I noticed all the plates were facing in one direction. This way, the water stream hit the backs of half of them. So, I started changing half of them, the ones to the right, placing them backing the sides of the dishwasher where they were facing toward a side. He came by as I was doing this and I showed him how it should be done and why. PLUS, the instructions said explicitly to place all dishes facing toward the center of the dishwasher. "So the water from the center hits all dirty surfaces." I kept changing them until they were right and not trying to get him to fix them. 

He put the plates in again on Saturday and said he got them all facing in the right direction, just like I showed him. I was shocked. Picture this.  The plates were paired facing each other. Two by two. Of course, with the edges of the plates being curved, this configuration practically assured that no water of any amount or force would hit the dirty side of any of the plates. 

I was laughing inside and called him to come and let me show him something. Then, he swore up and down that he did it exactly as I showed him. He said he watched me. Well, obviously he watched and did not see. After a few loud words from both sides, I knew he was just too defensive to listen. Still, he brings it up that I showed him a different way. 

It was cute what he did. Funny! But, I did not laugh or scoff. He is so defensive and has never done anything wrong. EVER. He has never said anything like "sorry" or "I did not know" or "I misunderstood." His answers--"I have done it that way since I was 10." or "All my relatives did it that way" or "everybody I know does it that way" or "that is exactly the way YOU told me to do it." 

When I went to sleep at 7 am on Saturday morning, I awoke at 1:30 and felt awful most of the day. However, I was sleepy early Saturday night and went to bed about 2 am. I realized I have not slept well when I don't wear my new pocket nightgown. When it was wet and hanging to dry, I did not. It has been hard to sleep when the blankets keep sliding off my shoulders. Hopefully, sleep won't be too hard from now on with my shoulders warm and the rest of my body. Of course, I love the length, but it could be six inches longer.

These nightgowns are going to be my day dresses. I hate pants all day! Yes, they will be nightgowns, too.

It has been over 24 hours since I last saw my phone! I take it to bed every night, put it on the nightstand until morning. On the way to bed I sometimes put it on the counter in the kitchen or on bathroom vanity. Often, when I get up in the morning, I find it where I put it on the way to bed. We have looked everywhere. Of course, it is off so I cannot just call my phone. Okay, I found it. I had carried a clothes basket with the new sheets and other things to the bedroom with my phone on top. The basket was beyond my bed, and with no light in the ceiling, I could barely see it. Okay, a day without even using my phone is rare. And, no one called me. 

We were watching Gunsmoke one day when Tommy exclaimed that they all had blue eyes. Five scoundrels were onscreen. I think it is 6% of the people on earth have blue eyes and 100% of the cast of Gunsmoke screen had blue eyes. Tommy commented that Hollywood sure loves blue eyes. Of course, Matt, and Kitty both have blue eyes. 

At 9:30 Sunday night, Tommy went into the kitchen for us. I told him if he would gather everything, I would make a pumpkin pie. So, he is there searching for the spices, cans, and eggs. I could have gone in and stood while he got things out. This will make things so much easier on my back. I even had him get out the right measuring cups and measuring spoons. So, I need to get out the mixer and a bowl. Good deal! I think I can get a pie into the oven without spilling it more easily than he can. I will start at 10:30 after the news. So, I suppose pumpkin pie will happen at midnight.

Okay, the pumpkin pie will be out at 12:15. Actually, it is two pumpkin pies. So, one for each of us. I am a pig when it comes to pumpkin pie. Mama made a pumpkin pie that was about 3/4 inch thick or whatever goes into a regular bought pie pan, not deep dish. I certainly hope it doesn't taste bad. 

I knew I had a can of Pet Milk, but it had a date of Jan 2022, so I had him take the top completely off. It seemed clabbered. The new can was smooth and no clots. 

Pumpkin is my favorite pie of those I make. And, I don't even want one if I did not make it. 

What is your favorite pie that you make? Do you like pumpkin pie?

15 comments:

  1. We are not pie people except at holiday times. TheHub is the only one here who will eat pumpkin pie, so he gets a piece occasionally with his lunch. This year we are having pecan pie and peanut butter pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I am pumpkin pie people. I rarely have pie unless it is holidays. Peanut butter pie sounds delicious.

      Delete
  2. I make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I love it but my hubby doesn't. If I make pie for the family usually it is an apple.pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      So, you will be baking two kinds of pies? I made an apple betty last week.

      Delete
  3. My favorite is pecan pie. I do not like pumpkin anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can find fresh pecans, I will make one of those. I do love pecan pie.

      Delete
  4. I love pumpkin pie, but only if it is not too spicy with cloves. I usually buy a frozen one, but since I can never remember which brand is the one that isn't so clove-y, it is the luck of the draw whether I will like it or not. Cloves spice seems to burn my tongue, but it doesn't bother my husband's.

    A couple of years ago at Thanksgiving, my daughter did her first pie making. She made an apple pie with a pretty lattice work top, and then when she made her pumpkin pie she put a lattice crust on top of it, too. I really liked it. It was a tasty crust, and it all tasted really good to me with whipped cream and hot decaf coffee to wash it down. However, her husband made so much fun of her pumpkin pie. Guess who has made the pies ever since. Ha, Ha I think she makes him make them now. He also makes the turkey. He makes a delicious turkey. The first turkey he ever made, he didn't look hard enough for the packet of giblets. and there they were after the turkey was cooked right there inside of the cavity..
    I looked at them and they were thoroughly cooked. Since then, his turkey has always been total perfection. He is an excellent cook.
    They have such a nice big kitchen with a good layout for the stove refrigerator and sink, and then lots of counter space, and cabinet space. That is the only reason that I wouldn't mind living in a big house. My kitchen is so small. It will fit two fluffy people in it, but behinds bump if we are working trying to do something. Three slender people might fit, and no amount of people plus one goofy little Fritzi Pomeranian would fit at all. The other night I was bent over and kind of squatted down, as far as my legs will do, which isn't far, reaching far back into the cabinet for a trash bag. I stood up, took a step back right onto Fritzi's foot, I almost fell backwards but was able to grab the handle of my butcher block table in there and I caught myself. Fritzi screeched, I hollered, and even cried because it scared me when I came so close to falling backwards. I was barefoot, and her paw was fine, but I pulled a muscle in my back on one side and my neck when I caught myself. Lucky my butcher block is a real, real heavy piece of furniture my Dad made with strong side handles. Little Fritzi was scared of me for a while after that. She must have thought I hurt her foot on purpose. I do hope she doesn't do that Stooge routine again, Remember on the Three Stooges where Moe would have Curly get on his hands and knees behind someone and then that person would fall over Curly when they stepped back. That was Fritzi and I, Fritzi played the part of Curly. If I would have actually fallen backwards, it would have squashed her. She always has to be right up on us everything we do. That's nosy puppies for you.
    Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. susie,
    since I lost mama's recipe, I have tried to remember it. I think I remember she left out the cloves, not liking them so much. So, I only put in 1/16th a teaspoon in my pie. It seemed to work, but the pie did not taste right since my taste is off. Luckily, pumpkin pie is not one of the foods that tastes gross to me with this antibiotic. Good for you daughter! Let him cook it all. I am glad she has someone who can do it since it is exhausting. https://www.bing.com/search?q=pumpkin+pie+with+lattice&form=ANNTH1&refig=382099709fcb42489f56a3218d5cd0b0&sp=1&qs=RI&pq=pumpkin+pie+lattice+&sk=PRES1&sc=1-20&cvid=382099709fcb42489f56a3218d5cd0b0

    Or google
    pumpkin pie lattice
    There are dozens of pictures with lattice on pumpkin pie.

    I cooked the giblets the first time I ever cooked a turkey because I could not get it thawed enough to yank them out. It still has happened through the years. But, they were cooked and I suppose the turkey processors know someone will roast the giblets since the package is intact and strong.
    There was barely enough room for two pie crusts to sit beside the sink while I filled them. Of course, the small space he has for counters is barely adequate if all counters were cleared. It will happen some day. I had plenty of counters in my house, even with microwave and big dehydrator.
    How awful for you and Fritzi. Did you know that dogs cause many injuries for elderly or disabled people? Thankfully, you had the table to save you. Maybe the dog could be banned from the kitchen. Tommy's walker has to be accounted for when we go in the kitchen together.
    We warn each other when we are moving. I do remember the stooges stunt. LOL and I don't want to be either character.


    ReplyDelete

  6. Despite it only being myself and my husband for Thanksgiving, I will be making both a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. My dad is staying at his assisted living home because he feels the need to be with others, who have no family or their family lives a long ways away. He knows he can come here, but he does enjoy the meals they provide, so I know he will get a nice dinner. I will bring him a piece of pie next Sunday, when I visit. My dad is the pie maker of the family, so I am always pleased when he compliments my pie. I love both pumpkin and apple. I put lots of spice in my pumpkin, mostly pumpkin spice but a bit of cloves etc. Both my MIL and I prefer our pumpkin pie to have a little kick or we think it tastes boring to us. She is no longer with us, but I will put an extra sprinkle or two of pumpkin spice, in her memory. The apple pie is due to a need to use up some apples that are starting to show some wrinkles, so don't want them to go bad. Everyone in my family loves pie, but no one wants to make it. The closest they would get to pie was store bought and I, personally, am not a fan of store bought pie. When we would get together with my husbands family, I would make pumpkin, pecan and apple and they would be so happy and there wouldn't be much left, after the day was done. My dad does not have the facilities to make pies anymore, but at almost 90, I think he's made his fair share, over the years. I can't even begin to tell you how delicious his apple crisp is. Just like my grandmothers used to be and elusive to my abilities, unfortunately. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      I am sure your father has a good time with his friends. It is good he wants to be with them. I have never used pumpkin spiced. I have the little jars out all over the counter, measuring them all. I think my pie has kick. Plus, I use dark brown sugar. Mama put molasses in hers and so did I but I don't have any molasses even though I thought i did. Making a pie is easier than some dishes for Thanksgiving. I would do that. Your in-laws must have been grateful for your skill and willingness.
      Do you have his recipe for apple crisp? I made a terrible Apple Betty last week. And, I have made them before that were delicious! I no longer have that recipe.
      That is wonderful he was a pie maker, but your cooking is probably close to his.

      Delete
    2. Sadly, I do not have the recipe and after asking him, he didn't really follow one, at least, not that he remembers. I will keep trying. I can get close but just not quite the same. Now, I'm wondering if it's the apples he used? Maybe he used more of a tart apple than I do. We both mix apple types too, so that's similar, and both agree that it might not be the same apples each time.

      Delete
  7. It's pretty sad that Tommy has to be so defensive and argumentative over something as dumb as loading the diswasher. My god, man--let it GO. Such defensiveness speaks to a small mind and an insecure personality.

    I'm sorry you won't be enjoying Thanksgiving on time, but late is better than never.

    I just made a batch of Keto seasoned croutons for stuffing. They are so tasty I am going to make them regularly to add to salads. I can't tell you how excited I am about making and EATING low-carb stuffing!

    Yesterday I pulled the turkey from the freezer to thaw in the fridge. But I decided to move it to a cooler of ice water so I can have it thawed and oven-ready to cook on Wednesday morning. It will be so nice to have the meat sliced and ready to reheat for dinner. Plus DH carving a turkey resembles nothing so much as a masacre without all the blood. Turkey bits everywhere, fat and juice dripping off the counter. He has a good time doing it, but the cleanup is a loathesome task.

    I want chocolate pecan pie for dessert, but I don't think I'll make my own. There's a local bakery that sells them by the slice; that way I don't have to test my will against leftovers. We will bake an out-of-this-world apple crumble that is from a local orchard. Must remember to buy vanilla bean ice cream for that!

    I do not like pumpkin pie. I never have. I like pumpkin cheesecake, though. The cream cheese tones down all that pumpkinyness.

    Ugh, what else, what else? I need to start a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I am always amazed what sets him off. And, yes, he is insecure! I finally tell him we are ot going to argue anymore. He says I won't let him talk. Yes, but not so long about the same thing and saying the same thing over and over!

      Not enjoying Thanksgiving food would happen anyway if nothing tasted good. So, it is okay.

      I probably need low-carb stuffing, too. I am glad you found what you were looking for.

      Your description of your husband's carving is hilarious. Well, if he is having fun. "massacre without all the blood."

      I love chocolate pecan pie! Pumpkin pie needs to be pumpkin-y. Pumpkin cheesecake seems like it would destroy the pumpkin taste. But, that is what individual taste is for.

      It does get complicated! That is why I have always made a list.

      Delete
  8. I love pumpkin pie and will eat it sliver, by sliver all day long!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...