Saturday, November 19, 2022

No Thanksgiving Dinner for Us, Pomegranates

 Since I started taking this new antibiotic, at least one thing of every meal tastes gross. This is not a lack of taste, this is just bad taste. As I was thinking about eating Thanksgiving dinner that tastes bad, I hate to cook a meal and not enjoy it. I was telling Tommy this and asked if he would be disappointed to have our Thanksgiving dinner a few days later. He said it would not bother him at all. My last capsule will be December 1. I doubt this taste will go away since it has been here for three days. 

We might still have different food or something a little festive. I am still excited by the prospect of a turkey dinner with dressing and cranberry sauce and all the trimmings. So, when it happens, it will be good. I have fallen down on preps since I was sick. 

Tommy is taking the meat off the carcass of the chicken I roasted. I took the meat off the breast but cannot locate the breast skin and bones. Of course, all this will be eaten for sandwiches or casseroles. The breast meat for Thanksgiving meal is already frozen. 

One day, I asked Lynda what kind of fruit was growing in her yard. She said someone told her it was a quince. I asked her if I could have a few if she did not want them all. She said I could have all of them because she was not sure what a quince was like. I took three next time I went and was shocked when she brought them to me. They sure look like a pomegranate and the broken one she brought looks like it has arils inside. I have not tasted anything. These got pushed aside when I was so ill this last week. 

Does a quince even vaguely resemble a pomegranate other than being red and global? I have looked at pictures of both and it certainly looks like a pomegranate. This has the unusual part at the stem end. 

It is like midnight outside and it is only 6 pm! I went to the fanlight and looked out this gloomy afternoon, so the extent of my enjoying the outdoors. Pooh! This stinks! Well, I had no desire to go anywhere even though I had places to go. For one, I want to pick up my shoes at SAS. Monday, there will be less traffic. Or Tuesday.

Dinner will be the thinly sliced beef I baked one day this last week, slaw, and mashed potatoes. I think I will have a salad since the mashed potatoes tasted bad to me. The tomatoes will go bad if we don't eat them. 

I will bake an Apple Betty tonight! Okay, we had the Apple Betty and watched The Wizard of Oz.

Have you ever had a med that made some food taste awful? I sit here and can taste my mouth when usually there is no taste or a neutral taste. 

Is there anything else that looks like a pomegranate and is not a pomegranate? Do they grow in central Alabama? The internet says it is possible, but I wonder. 

12 comments:

  1. I've admittedly never seen a quince in person, but the internet shows it as looking like a pear, with minimal seeds. A pomegranate is as you described, with a red outer flesh (inedible), usually white pith between that and the arils. As far as I know, there's no other fruit that looks like a pomegranate. We have a large tree at our house, and our weather is pretty typical northern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP,
      So, she must have a pomegranate tree. Thanks. I have never opened a pomegranate, but have eaten arils. Somehow, I thought pomegranate was not a tree for cold, but I suppose I am wrong on that count. Thanks a lot.

      Delete
  2. My Mother-In-Law had pomegranates in her backyard (Tuscaloosa) Some years they produced fruit and sometimes they didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Interesting! I suppose they do grow around here then. I wonder why the tree did not produce every year.

      Delete
  3. My Mom had flowering quince in the yard at their house. They were a smallish bush that had reddish pink blooms very early in spring. In fall there were shall child's size fist size fruits on the bushes, but I just googled quince and the fruit on those bushes was nothing like what was shown in pictures for quince. Hers must have been some different type of flowering quince. The fruit on those bushes smelled really good. Kind of citrus-y and very fresh smelling. Those bushes lived for many, many years. At least 30. I think my Dad took them out after Mom's death to make it easier for him to do the weed whacking in the yard. His knees were terribly arthritic, so he would mow the grass on is riding lawn mower and then go back on the riding lawn mower, taking his weed whacker with him to trim the yard. He did that until he was in his late 80's and finally decided to hire someone to mow and trim the yard. It was a big, old fashioned yard. I mowed it from the time I was 9 until I was 20 and got married. Mom mowed it before I did. When I was a teenager Dad bought a lawn mower that pulled itself, but not a riding one. For a while, Mom hired a neighborhood kid to mow it, before I was big enough, Dad didn't mow it for years and years, and when he started mowing it, he bought a riding mower, that he modified to use as a snow plow in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I had several flowering quince, small bushes in my yard. I never smelled them or saw fruit. I am not sure why the neighbor took out my bush, probably thought it was hers. I had one of the self-propelled walk behind lawnmower. It climbed a six-foot fence when wisteria got caught in the blades and pulled the lawnmower up. I never had a riding lawn mower because of my allergies. Even a mask would not have saved me.

      Delete
  4. Quince is like a pear -- rather bland to the taste, but good with sugar and lemon and made into a jam. Where you live is a perfect place for pomegranates. In fact, they've been there, and naturalized for several hundred years. good article: https://alabamaliving.coop/articles/gardens-pomegranates/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meetsy,
      I read an article that gave me a vague idea pomegranates could grow here. But, I have never known anyone with a pomegranate tree or seen them at farmer's markets. Good article.

      Delete
  5. I have quince I would say they grow on a bush not on a tree. They are green and in the fall turn a yellow color. Smaller than a pomagranate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Thanks. I suppose this is more a tall bush than a tree. Do you eat them or cook them? Where do you live?

      Delete
  6. We are likely to postpone Thanksgiving dinner as well when we are not so tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Dinner will be better when you are not so tired and I can taste the real dinner.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...