Monday, November 7, 2022

Absentee Voting, Building a Fire, and Other Things

 I did mail my request for an absentee ballot on Friday, unsure if it would be received in time for me to get an absentee ballot in the mail. Well, I got it today, filled it out and mailed it back. Noon on Tuesday is the deadline for it to arrive at the polls. I wonder if I will ever know if it is received. 

The ballot and three envelopes and an instruction sheet came in an envelope. The top of the ballot was folded down and needed to be refolded to go into the inner envelope called "inner secrecy envelope." That envelope had to go into the "affidavit envelope."

I had to sign the back of that one and have it signed by two witnesses or have it notarized. That was a pain. One person never answered the voice mail, the other person was ill and could not come out, the next person's voice mail was full or something. Finally, we got the first person, and it is done! Whew!

While we were at the PO, I bought more "Forever Stamps." I got two sheets of very pretty flowers for me and a sheet of elephants for Tommy. We both still have stamps from before the last time the price went up. So, we are set. We mail few letters, but I hate to need a stamp and have to go in to buy one or more at a higher price. I did not care for the Christmas stamps, so I will check later for those. Last year, some of the stamps were only winter scenes.  I like those. 

I have finished A Dog's Purpose except for 10 pages. My eyes were bothering me, so I just quit. I would still highly recommend this book. So, this was two reading sessions, basically. It is not a short book, 325 pages. Okay, I finished the book. This book is a real tear-jerker. Well, my eyes were wet a lot. 

Here is a story for you: To Build a Fire. Click on the link to read the complete text of the short story by Jack London. It has a dog in it, but it is about building a fire. And, it is only ten pages.

Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut will be my next book to read. Have you guessed I love literature? My son is also an English teacher and both daughters are readers, the youngest teaching reading.  

Right now, 5:30 pm, I am sort of depressed. I have nothing cooked or planned for dinner. I do have sweet potatoes baked and salad fixings. He said the ground beef was some he just took from the freezer, so at least he won't be eating iffy meat. If I had chicken breast, I would be happier right now! 

Okay, I expressed my desire for chicken breast from Publix, saying it was just too dark for us to go out. Well, within three minutes Tommy had convinced me to go. Ha! I did not expect that at all. It was delicious and so was the sweet potato.

An eclipse is happening tonight. So, I suppose I will stay up for that. 

When we went to the PO, we got the pink bag with ads and coupons back in the neighborhood. We will go through those tonight, maybe before I post this. 

When I mentioned my friend having rats, that was six months or more ago, not now. The purpose of mentioning it now was to say I think Extra-Strength Tylenol killed rats. So, no problem with rats at the moment. People gave me advice as to who to call for help. 

We had a record high of 88F today. Right now it is 78 and very pleasant. The temperature can stay right where it is today. By next Monday, the temperature will have dropped 50F degrees. 

Tonight, I had Tommy go into the hall to help me get out some food and other items from the back bedroom. It was a disaster. He can be so helpful or an a$$. Tonight was his a$$ night.  I did all I could, knowing it will wait for me and be here tomorrow. Why does work never abandon me?

He hates me to tell him something he says he knows. Tonight, I muttered words someone on TV had said. I repeated the phrase in astonishment and was not talking to anyone. He asked what I said. I repeated the words. He went into a rage, saying, "I heard that! You don't have to tell me!" It took a lot of arguing for him to know what went on because he just kept yelling at me. Now, my stomach is very upset. 

I think we are both staying up or getting up for the eclipse. How about you?

Did you go to the polls on Tuesday or vote by absentee ballot or another way? Do you buy Forever Stamps?  


24 comments:

  1. I will go to the polls tomorrow. It is just what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the polls on election day - just old fashioned I guess. I seriously doubt that your ballot will get there in time if just mailed the day before. Maybe, though.
    I always buy stamps - I use a lot of them. I pay by mail - again, old fashioned I guess. I will not pay online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Voting by absentee ballot is not something in fashion and new-fangled as opposed to being old-fashioned. It is necessary!
      I mailed the application on Friday and got the ballot on Monday, so I can hope.
      Sending off payments of any kind and by any method is iffy if you ask me. I just pray all will go as planned with any payment.

      Delete
    2. Depending on your state, as long as the postmark is prior to election day, it should be counted.

      Delete
    3. Rhitter,
      Tommy said that as long as it was received by noon on election day, it would be counted. That makes no sense, but that is what he heard on TV. So, I don't know. I think your take is better. I can never comment on your blog!

      Delete
  3. We always buy the Forever stamps. That way we are covered on price increase for a while. I had some real pretty flower stamps and I was sad when I used the last one.
    I felt tired all day because of the time change, I am hoping that I won't be tired today because I have a lot to do today.
    My favorite book about a dog (half dog/half wolf) is a really old book, if I remember right first printed in 1917. It is written by James Oliver Curwood and takes place in Canada. It is called Baree Son of Kazan.
    It is the story of a half dog/half wolf starting when Baree was a puppy in the den in a woodfall in Canada. Baree's mother is blind. He manages to get separated from the other pups and gets into a fight with a baby owl, knocked into the fast running river, climbs out of the water, spends quite a while sleeping near and on beaver dens trying to get acquainted with them, because he is such a lonely little pup, and is finally found by a young French/First Nations woman and her father the French trapper. It has adventure, evil doers, romance, nature, and is a good adventure book. If you can find a copy of it anywhere, it is a good read, in my opinion. James Oliver Curwood wrote a lot of adventure books.
    We voted by mail in last week.
    Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I am sad when I use the last of pretty flower stamps, too.
      For all my sleeping problems, time changes don't seem to affect me. If you think about it, how would I even know?
      I will check out Baree Son of Kazan.
      I should have gotten started sooner on the voting. Tommy kept telling me I had plenty of time until I didn't.
      Hopefully, you can get enough sleep.

      Delete
  4. I will be heading out to vote here shortly before I go to work. And I do buy the forever stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we dropped off our ballots at city hall; it is dangerous here to show up at the polling station.
    Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut - it's on my list to read someday as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      How is it dangerous?
      I hope Slaughterhouse Five is good.

      Delete
    2. Ur-spo - I am sorry to hear your polling station is dangerous.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry for the winger's that feel they can repress voters rights through intimidation. Why are they not rounded up and jailed? I guess " freedom of speech".

      Delete
    4. Yes, intimidation does work. Too bad about that.

      Delete
  6. In California, we voted by mail-in ballot as we were mailed the ballots automatically, and you had the option to drop it off or mail it. Here is Missouri, you vote in person. I just returned from voting.

    I also buy Forever Stamps, and I think I may need to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      Here, we have to formally request a ballot! MO is a different world from CA, I am quite sure. Get the stamps before the middle of January or February.

      Delete
  7. Hubby and I took advantage of early in-person voting last Friday. He got up to see the eclipse, but it was too cloudy here in KY to see anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I voted just now. Some lady was standing 200 feet from the poll entrance, just staring and not saying anything. I should have asked her name and told her I don't vote for people who creep me out. LOL

    I also buy Forever stamps, but in the roll form, because those are easiest to work with. It'd be nice if they had something other than the Old Glory on it--like flowers would be pretty--but it is what it is.

    Men are ridiculous grumps that don't like being told anything, period. Oh, except they do like being told that their twigs & berries are the biggest/best ever.

    So they don't listen to anything but one thing, which is the biggest lie they've ever been told. And to think we let them run around loose...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue,
    Do you think she was a candidate or a self-appointed poll watcher?
    I would buy the rolls if there were something besides a flag. I have nothing against the flag, but would like flowers or holiday stamps. Besides, I can fold he flowers into three sections and have a little square to put in my wallet.
    He is so defensive about everything. Maybe we could do something about their running around loose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did vote and I am happy you reminded me about the forever stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Good job! The deadline for getting stamps will come sooner than we expect. And, other people may get all the pretty stamps.

      Delete
  11. I order my stamps on line where the selection is large. My Post Office only gets a very limited selection. I will mention that there is a very nominal charge for the handling and delivery of the stamps that I order on line. I think it was $1.50 or so. Worth it to me to not have to drive over there and stand in line! I recently received a sheet of "Snowy flowers, a sheet of Charles Schultz stamps and a sheet of International stamps. I am still using stamps from my previous order, the giving tree, and day of the dead stamps. Quarterly I receive a booklet showcasing the current & new stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Standing in line is awful for me. I would send Tommy, but he could not choose for me. Maybe that is what I will do this next time. Thanks for reminding me. Is there a King Charles III stamp, yet?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...