Sunday, November 6, 2022

Gunsmoke Chickens + New Pet+ Reading New Book

When we watch Gunsmoke, we both watch what the chickens do as the action goes on around them. Gunsmoke chickens just keep pecking or scratching or walking around. The don't become alarmed as people walk by. They don't mind horses unless one almost steps on a hapless chicken. On many Western movies the chickens are skittish when horses walk up, but not on Gunsmoke.

This tells us the animal handlers and trainers keep chickens where there is action all the time--people, dogs, and horses. It looks more natural than scenes in other movies where the chickens are skittish of even their own people in the scenes. 

My chickens were skittish of everyone except Tommy and me. Other people came there, but no one came regularly. 

When Sluggy came, the chickens were hard to get settled because she was new. Sluggy thought I was running away from her. But, I was trying to keep my chickens from taking to the bushes or trees. Tommy had known them and they knew him from when they were about three days old and living in the house. I had to warn other people to wait so I could get them in their pen. 

Oh, I do remember Gunsmoke from my youth. I would not watch it. I read. I did not like Kitty's trashy earrings, garish makeup, and the beauty spot. I thought she looked cheap. Okay, no criticism of my thoughts. I was really young. 

Daddy must have like it or he would made us turn it off. I suppose my brother did, too. 

Coming home today from Lowe's, I found a pet I have been wanting. As it crawled around, I captured her, well, Tommy did. He let her loose at home. Hopefully, she and her babies will help protect my flowers next hear. I had been wishing I had a ladybug. At Lowe's I found yellow daffodils and brought them home. I don't want the paperwhites or the yellow daffodils with the orange center. No, we planted nothing today. Since it was 83F, the ground won't be freezing anytime soon.

Saturday night, I started reading A Dog's Purpose. I stayed up too late reading. It is one of the best books I have ever read. Have you ever read it?

Have you had trouble with the time change? I have not. When we change all the clocks, I won't be so confused. The one on the wall is the last one to change since laptop and cells change themselves.

Do you ever notice the Gunsmoke chickens?

Do you encourage ladybugs to stay in your garden or do you ever order them? 

I thought I had Stovetop Stuffing, but obviously I don't! So, I will be looking for a couple of boxes of cheap SS for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Everything I need for Thanksgiving and Christmas will be gathered in one place, just to make sure I am not caught short when the holiday is here. I do not want to go out in crowds at the last minute. There may be some in the bedroom, so I will check tomorrow.

Do you have any close experiences with chickens? Anyone else getting things together for Thanksgiving so you know what you have?

12 comments:

  1. I am not shopping right now for the holidays, but will make and freeze cornbread for Thanksgiving dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have not bought anything yet, just looking for sales. I thought about freezing cornbread for dressing, but I think it would be too much for me right now.

      Delete
  2. I purchased my turkey the other day but only because I saw them on sale for 79cents a pound. I have green beans I canned during summer along with other vegetables. Need to get a bag of cranberries but will wait till week of. Wish I could find lady bugs to put in my garden. Thinking of ordering some next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHH,
      Since I have trouble handling a whole turkey, when I am though with the ones in the freezer, I think I will just get breasts. That is a good price and those prices always cause me to buy "just one more" whole turkey...lol. Those vegetables canned will be delicous.

      Delete
  3. The change of clocks impacts me both fall and spring. It'll be a few weeks before my internal click changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      It has never seemed to bother me, even though sleeping is a problem all the time.

      Delete
  4. Hubby and I were just talking this morning about all of the Thanksgiving events we are going to be a part of. We'll need a few dozen eggs now so they won't be new ones when it's time for deviling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      It is a nightmare trying to fresh eggs for devilling!

      Delete
  5. In the past years, where we lived in a different state, I have purchase lady bugs. I think I got them at a local store, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      There are probably local stores that sell them. However, I have never checked.

      Delete
  6. Your Gunsmoke chicken observations are so interesting! When you watch a show, you don't just watch it superficially, do you? That's a detail that would have escaped me completely.

    I am no chicken trainer, but I am far more experienced with chickens than I'd like to be.

    My parents raised chickens when I was young. They'd get 100 chicks every early spring & raise them until the fall. I would have to cut alfalfa from our hayfields and bring it to their coop for fresh greens.

    Come October, we'd spend the month butchering 25 chickens every Saturday. I HATED it. My job was plucking the headless birds after they'd been eviscerated and dipped in boiling kettles of water. Ugh, there is nothing worse than yanking smelly wet feathers off a dead bird. GAG.

    The roasted chickens we enjoyed all winter were delicious. ;^)

    I have never ordered ladybugs before. I don't know how to teach them to stay in my yard and not fly elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      No, I suppose I don't....lol. I am interested in everything that happens. I don't know if that is good or bad.
      Ugh, I would hate the slaughtering and dressing of chickens, too. But, winter meals were guaranteed. If I had chickens to slaughter, I would pay someone to do it!
      I suppose a person hopes that the ladybugs will be happy with what you provide. Unless I get a greenhouse, I will not be buying ladybugs. Chickens would love lady bugs to eat.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...