Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Upsetting Encounter

 I have cell service with A. Tommy and I went to his doctor to get a DexcomG6, the monitor for diabetes that stays on the arm. Well, the nurse said my phone was not the right kind even though it is NOT a flip phone. 

So, we went to B to get a new phone and service. I told the guy the problem and what help I needed setting up my phone, like transferring all my date from the flip phone. He agreed and we picked out an iPhone, I think, in addition to my flip phone. Tommy only has a cheap flip phone, so he had no iPhone. 

The guy was so agreeable. Tommy sat there the whole time until I almost passed out from hunger and low blood sugar. Well, all Hell broke loose when Tommy left to get me a dollar burger. We stayed there three hours and left with no cell phone or service. 

When we arrived, this punk greeted us loudly, sort of like a barker trying to entice us into a booth at the fair. He called me babe as I gritted my teeth. He called women my age and down to 30 years, babe. Tommy said he called black women and white women babe. I doubt if any of the women were flattered, just insulted. 

When I had decided I had enough and was leaving without service from this company, I told him that calling women "babe" was sexual harassment, he went "pftt" and looked back at me like I was dirt and said "you wish, no chance, darling."  and looked back at me like I was dirt again. This was a young white jerk. Tommy was back and witnessed this encounter.

When we first came in and were waiting, an older black woman came in and like me, needed a seat. She told the young jerk what she wanted. He came back, stood sideways to her where she had to look above her to see him, and spoke with a silly condescending smile, asked her why she wanted a home phone because it was so expensive, like over $100. He treated her like the village idiot when he spoke. She left shortly thereafter and came back with her son. She eventually became angry and was talking to all of us about how she has paid her own bills for years and now her son is trying to tell her what she can afford and how to run her life. She was eyeing the young punk, too. They kept telling her she could not do something that I have forgotten, trying to get her to go along with what B wanted her to do. She cancelled her cell phone that she said she won't use and paid her bill for the home phone and left in a huff. 

When I told the very nice, older black manger, he said, "Oh, that is what we do, call each other and customers babe all the time. We call each other babe." Yeah, like that excused the behavior. I told him he was wrong, that I would get service elsewhere. He told me they "owned" my cell phone number now and that I would lose it if I tried to cancel my service in favor of another carrier. I told him he was lying. Oh, I was not loud or obnoxious. 

I called C that night and got cell service with them and they were sending me a phone. 

I went back to A and told the guy what he had said about them owning my number. He checked records and said I still had service with A, but that he would see that B had tried to access my account to find a four-digit code to get my cell number. No, I did not know the four-digit number they repeatedly asked me to give them. No, it is not my pin. That I know. 

So, it has been two weeks and my phone never was turned off like B said it would be. However, the phones I got from them worked. Weird. However, we do not have a phone that C promised, nor have we been contacted or billed for that service. 

After 3 hours of torment from sitting on plastic chairs, I was wiped out. I was ill from all this the next day and in no mood to deal with this retelling. I forgot what we ate, but I don't think I could even eat. 

No, I have not contacted, A, B, or C about complaining about treatment, trying to get new service, or anything. I had to recover my sense of stability. I did ask Tommy if I were even a little bit of the cause. He would tell me. He said, No, I caused none of this. 

And, No, I have not called customer service. And, No, we have not called about the new service that was set up the next day. And, No, I have not had a call from my present service to tell me anything untoward has been done to my account. And, Yes, my phone still works. Yes, Tommy got a refund on his cc for the service/phone he paid for that day. 

This is just too stressful for me to answer questions. It is all laid out in this post. I am not going to cut off comments on this post, just won't answer questions. I probably have no answers. But, you can comment if you do not blame me. Tommy will have to tell you once again that we stayed three hours and that I did not instigate this and did nothing to annoy the guys.

One other thing. We both know about the diabetes monitor that comes with a device to pass over the monitor. He does not want that. I can see on a phone the constant state of his blood sugar. He would just search for the little device most of the day. He already does that for several things. I don't lose an iphone.

Have you found cell service stores to be hard?

EDIT--By the way, we did not have to wait for service. They were working on our service for the whole three hours.


14 comments:

  1. I find the whole things just stupid, does not matter how much it cost, you pay the bill on time and then it does not work. I don't have one anymore, I am not willing to spend the money on something I don't need, I am not about that much, if I get into trouble or a problem I go to the nearest location and use a phone, If it was a medical or a danger problem, I would just yell call 911.

    I use my grocery store websites at home on the computer. I can add coupons and special sales there and get the sale price with just entering my home phone after I shop at the store. Yes I still have a land line, my husband was sick for many years before he passed, my mother lived with me for a couple of years until I had to put her in care. It was a blessing more than once during those years,

    I don't have to worry about where is the phone, is it charged, I just pick up one of the house phones and call 911.

    For some a cell phone might be a great idea but the house phone is good for me. I can pick up one of the wireless phones and take it to the bathroom etc in case I fall or something.

    Of course you and Tommy are out and about all over town. You need to worry about his diabetes. If he would listen, he could keep that under control and you would not have to worry or be afraid. I am sorry you have to go through that. It is time he steps up and realizes that he has a chronic health condition that he needs to control. It is not your responsibility. I know you will take care of him and he of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      This is not about cost, reliability, danger, or convenience. It is about real abuse at the phone store where I spent 3 hours being called babe and being further insulted.
      It is not even about his refusal to take diabetes seriously when driving. It is about the stress I went through.
      He finally knows he does not know!

      Delete
  2. As far as the young idiot at the phone store, I would have asked for the manager. I would have told him if this person continues to call me "Babe" I will answer with idiot or *sshole, just let me know what you both prefer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ! The manager defended him! I only complained at the end of three hours because I just wanted the phone to happen and it was not. I was not trying to antagonize anyone, get even or change anyone.

      Delete
  3. Wow! "Babe" I feel that was disrespectful and not the right situation or location for him (and the manager) to be calling women babe. If they feel that they should call all women babe they might try working at a bar. Then it might be acceptable.
    Remember the good old days where people in stores were polite. The phone repair people who came to my home were always very polite.
    I used to have the nicest simple little phone. I don't text because I don't like it. My kids email me if they don't have time to talk, but mostly they just phone me. Anyway, my husband's phone is so thin and so sleek and slick that I have a really hard time holding it anywhere that doesn't cause it to do something. My hands are large and I have very long thin fingers, they are the exact same hands as my Mom had, and my Grandma had, except mine are knotted and some bent at the knuckle nearest the nail. The very thin phones that are slick are very hard for me to physically use. I never had a problem like that with my old phone, but I had to get rid of it because it was only 3 Gs. Why do they make all of the phones so slick. They are like water melon seeds with buttons.
    I have been thinking about getting the Dexcom glucometer, but I don't want it stuck to my arm. I prefer it to be on my stomach. And I plan to use the reader for it instead of a phone.
    I need to get some kind of cell phone for emergency use, I will have to look around and see what is available that would be easier for me to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      You are so right, a bar is where they need to work! Tommy and I were the only ones who seemed to think this was inappropriate.
      Tommy's phone is little and thin, sleek, and slick, just like you described. It is hard for me to hold it, too! Mine is a kyocera and so heavy, but not slick. I can hold it. I would prefer it were not so heavy.
      It is hard to grip Tommy's and not cause something to happen. My hands are not knotted. I have age-related arthritis, but they look fine.
      I think this can be used on your stomach. But, the one he was getting was a Lite something with a butterfly, not the one he thought she was getting for him. Really, since Medicare will pay for it, it makes no difference to him.
      Good luck finding a phone that is good for your hands.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you could look into seeing about getting covers for your phones. It will give you more to hold onto and some are made of a material that feels almost rubbery so easier to hold without it slipping out of your hand. It will also help protect the phone.

      Delete
    3. Rae,
      I thought about getting some sort of cover. But, what I found the one place i went was something really bulky and not to my liking. I am like Goldilocks. There has to be something suitable. Besides, I won't hook anything onto my belt because I don't wear a belt. My elastic-waist pants would fall off. Hopefully, I find something just right.
      Thanks so much.

      Delete
  4. Whatever happened to "maam"?
    I don't think babe is appropriate at all but i might be ok with it if I was local; it's such a cultural thing.
    I use "darl" on rare occasions and my children tell me it's frightful.

    When I'm at work, i call customers by their name. Only by their name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      It seems ma'am is disappearing from the vocabulary of rude people. When people call me darling, sweetie, sugar or honey, I cringe or object. "Sweetie" is the worst. I have had 17-yr-old clerks they are trying to be polite. Names are best and ma'am is fine, too.

      Delete
  5. It sounds distressing, though the story is hard to follow. The guy was agreeable at B, but then you were greeted by a punk kid barking at you? Or was that different store? No need to answer, though read through and you'll see why folks might be confused as to who was who, and who spoke to you in what way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. B--punk barking and calling me babe.
    A--where I have service

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you had to deal with such poor service. Normally the manager would understand how to treat a customer, and not let their sales help get away with such rudeness.

    I let only my hairdresser and my husband call me babe--
    because I am. ;^) :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Funny! I have a really good friend who is the only person who ever calls my baby without my getting irritated. I guess I am, too. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...