Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Busy Day


Things planned today happened with only one snafu. The weather was beautiful--80F, calm, pretty skies. The whole day would have been better if I had started earlier. 

First stop was the courthouse to turn in request for an absentee ballot. Tommy had to go down a steep ramp and then up, something I cannot do. I cannot do steep, up or down. So. they refused to give him a ballot for me. I have to go in by myself. Even in a wheelchair, that ramp is too steep. So, now I fight for my right to vote. 

We took the shoes I ordered to SAS. I just got another pair of sandals, a very bright pink. Shoes for my swollen feet will be bought somewhere else. I love pink, but if these are too bright, I still need something to wear at home.

Then, I went to King Cotton, a store that sells only upholstery and drapery fabric. They helped me with a place to sit. They brought five samples--I immediately said Tommy would like the huge buffalo check. But, I wanted him to have a choice, so we took the three best choices to Tommy. He took like three seconds to say he wanted the buffalo check. It is blue and a tan/gray color, not really greige. 

I ordered it with his cc and left--2 yards at $37/yd. So far, that is the only expense so since we got these from the trash in front of a house being renovated to rent. I expect to spend money on foam to go underneath and a layer of polyester over the foam. This is still cheaper than buying new chairs. And, these are old and sturdy and wood ladderbacks. Someday, I will find a free table to replace the smoky glass table of his that I just hate. Of course, he will have to agree. 

Lastly, we stopped at The Pig to get milk for Tommy and to get Lynda some guaifenesin for her congestion. This for lung congestion. She really needs it. I found a really fresh bag of cole slaw mix for $/97. We will have that for dinner.

At Lynda's house, she gave us her pumpkin and a bag of fresh green beans. Tommy has added it to our two pumpkins and butternut squash on the porch. I may cook the green beans to go with the coleslaw I will have with the ground beef from the freezer. 

So, we are home and watching a wonderful woodpecker documentary. Amazingly, all our plans have gone well, except for me not being able to vote! 

The week ahead looks good with highs near 80 and little rain except for the weekend. This makes me very happy! We may break record highs. I won't complain about that. 

Once again, I am looking for someone to help here. I have a call in to a friend. I gave Lynda the number for the missionaries to help her with a few things at her house. 

We have a hard day tomorrow, and I have phone calls to make tomorrow, also. 

I love to pick out fabric, especially upholstery fabric! Do you? Maybe this will expand in this house, to maybe some painting. Or something! I need to get some of my lamps rewired. What projects do you need to do or wish you could do to improve your home? We can all fantasize. 




15 comments:

  1. I would like to get my kitchen ceiling flourescent light fixed, Only one of the two bulbs work, the other one we tried replacing it with two different new bulbs, thinking one may have been damaged at the hardware store, took it back, got another one, and it didn't work either and neither did installing a new something or another that I cannot think of the name for right now. So I think we need a new ceiling lamp. Nothing fancy. Just a regular old style flat against the ceiling fixture.

    My dream of dreams would be to get a completely walk in shower, with the old cast iron tub completely removed. It is really hard for me to get over the edge of that tub to get in to shower. I never cared for sitting in the bath since I was a toddler. I have always liked a nice warm shower and wash my hair at the same time. The problem is we have one bathroom in this house, so I am sure that would lower the value of our house for resale if we end up not being taken head first out of here. The other problem is I have no idea how much time of money it would take to have a walk in shower installed, because I think it would be very expensive to remove the old cast iron tub and would require removing the toilet to have room to move the tub out.
    That is just a big dream. Probably will never come true. There is a reason that people (not me) hide in their tubs when a tornado comes. Those tubs are heavy and made to stay put forever.
    Your shoes look cute. I still haven't ordered any shoes yet. Fritzi's spaying cost more than we expected, and her micro chip, so I have to wait for my check to come in to get my new shoes.
    I hope you have a fantastic day today. I have so much I want to get done on this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie you should get some free estimates on removing that tub and putting in a shower. Many homes are going tub-free; I don't think it will lower the value of your house as you fear. And if you go with a molded unit rather than a tiled shower, you could save big bucks. It costs nothing to get estimates, and I think you'll be surprised at how affordable it could be.

      Also, it sounds like you need to replace the lighting ballast; they are pretty cheap at around 20 bucks.

      Delete
    2. There is no light on his kitchen ceiling that works. For three years, we have had two ceiling fixtures for his kitchen and dining area. The son of the guy next door was going to put them in, so maybe I need to find someone else. It is so dark in the kitchen, that even with new ceiling lights, I cannot see in the dishwasher!

      I am ready to paint the dark and ugly paneling, but I would have to subdue him...lol. However, I don't blame him.

      A soak in a tub is wonderful to me, but we need a flat floor type shower. It would be horrible expensive, I know, plus the time involved. His bathroom is one-inch tile all over, even the counter, so I would be a nightmare of dust.

      Maybe we could buy a lottery ticket and get a shower for both our houses, yours and Tommy's.

      The shoes are cute, but a person might see the shoes and never see me because they are so obvious. Dogs before shoes? Well, she is worth it.

      Thanks. I have lots to do, but that does not mean it will happen...lol. I make plans.

      Delete
  2. Love your sandals! I adore hot pink and would wear those beauties everywhere!

    If Tommy turned in your request for an absentee ballot, won't they just mail you one? All those assinine vigilantees screaming about non-existent voter fraud are sure making it difficult for everyone else...

    So I take it you're going to reupholster some chairs? That will be fun and very satisfying. I have an unnatural love for beautiful chairs; especially bamboo/rattan.

    I, too, am looking for fabric (well, marine-grade upholstery vinyl) for four aluminum Phyllis Morris Chinese Chippendale chairs (I got the table/chair set on Craigslist for only $50--the deal of a lifetime). I REALLY want an ostritch pattern in a blue-green, beach glass colorway. I may as well be hunting a unicorn.

    If you can reupholster a chair, you can rewire a lamp easily. There are how-tos all over the internet and on YouTube.

    What would I do to improve my house if money were no object? Hire my niece as my decorator. She's a professional and I love her taste. But she's so good she's out of my price range. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. I cannot wait to get them.

      I suppose I will spend today complaining! I doubt it will do much good.

      "Phillip Morris" is how I read that and spent a few minutes trying to imagine it. I think I saw the material you wanted today. I will check on it.

      I have upholstered all sorts of chairs, but this one is just the cushion, the kind that comes out. I wlll staple the fabric onto the chair. I am afraid to wire a lamp. Maybe I cannot get it put back together. The electricity does not scare me.

      The decorator I don't need. I just need some money! Also, I cannot haul things around like I could. So, I need a bit of muscle to help me.

      Delete
    2. Phillip Morris--LOL! I would be puzzled about a table/chair set named after a tobacco company as well! Here is the set I'm talking about:

      https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/building-garden/garden-furniture/phyllis-morris-patio-set-dining-chairs-table-faux-bamboo-chinese-chippendale/id-f_4426073/

      Scroll down a bit to see a big pic and the description.

      I'm telling you, if you can find my vinyl fabric, I will kiss your hot-pink-sandaled feet!!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I looked those up and I would say you got a deal of a lifetime! You could make a tidy profit. I am going to call the place where I saw the fabric.

      Delete
  3. Please fight for your right to vote! Damn "if there's a steep slope you can't vote"????? I feel so strongly about this because having been outside the UK more than 15 years I can no longer vote there. When the UK left the EU I Iost my right to vote in European elections and not (yet) being French I can't vote here either, so keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Thanks for the encouragement. I did not start the fight soon enough, I fear. But, I am still going to question authority.

      You are disenfranchised everywhere. Bummer.

      Delete
  4. Will election day be more accommodating for the polls with your mobility needs? A public building should really be accessible though every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      If I want to stand in line with my walker, it will. But, the point is to avoid that. The voting is in a different place than the courthouse.

      Delete
  5. Picking through fabric is one of life's great pleasures !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      You are so correct, sort of like holding a baby to me.

      Delete
    2. I recovered my dining chairs this past weekend. I had several pieces of upholstery fabric to choose from. I settled on a black fabric with large colorful fruit. (apples, plums, grapes & berries) This is probably the 4th time I have recovered these chairs. I had thought that I would need to add new foam and batting but found that it wasn't necessary after all. This fabric was stiffer than the last one I worked with and was more difficult to work with. I got right down to the last seat (This set has 4 chairs and a bench) and discovered that I didn't have quite enough fabric! I ended up having to add a strip of remnant fabric to the side in order to make it work. The seam is off to the side and will never be noticed. I bought this set second hand more than 20 years ago.

      Delete
    3. Janet,
      The fabric sounds pretty, something I would love. At least you made it work and unobtrusively, too. My kitchen chairs that I bought in 1967 need to be upholstered after I finish with Tommy's.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...