Thursday, November 3, 2022

The Way it Happens

 You know how my life goes. After a good night of sleep, I only slept two hours Thursday night. So, we did not go to Cullman. Bummer.

My friend who had a concussion finally lost her job. She is supposed to work 20 hours per week. However, Monday night, the owner of the daycare sent a text saying she was being put on call for the rest of the week and to please call the next day. The owner said she did NOT say to call. Friend was distressed. I told her to just enjoy the day off and do as she said she might do--get a job at Walmart as a greeter. 

When I saw her, she looked stronger and sounder, more perky instead of an old woman who is on her last leg and has lost her will. She laughed and said she felt better. 

Today, I asked Lynda if she would use her little saw and cut the mop head off Tommy's mop that he wants to throw away. The mop handle was not wood, but metal. While I was there, I gave her a box of books I have read. Remember, a couple of years ago I got box from a free shelf? Well, now Lynda, who loves to read, has a box of books, about a dozen books gone from this house. Score a big one for decluttering. 

Tommy sat and cut down two identical boxes to fit under the coffee table where the tv lives. He used Contac paper, marble pattern, and covered the boxes. This way, the living room looks less like a warehouse. I will take the sweet potatoes from their boxes, all 64 pounds of them and transfer to paper bags, fold the top down and put them in the boxes. This room is the only room that does not get too cold or too hot over the winter and summer. It is dark enough under the table and in paper bags. So, we have food under the tv. These will last until June of 2023 if we don't eat them first.

I slept from about 4 pm until 6:30 pm and had a strange awakening. I very slowly became awake. Usually, I am asleep and then awake. 

My request for an absentee ballot was mailed. I think it is a lost cause. Tommy was so sweet and told me I could just fill out his ballot. Still, that is only one vote for two people. He said he will use mine if it gets here in time. I heavily advise him, so he can do it himself. I get more upset at the thought of not voting than he does, so he was trying to console me. I called three places today and heard from no one.

Three books are out to read--Moby Dick, book by Obama, and another. I dug them out since I finished a book two weeks ago and never took another one to bed. 

I found out another friend died in Cullman. A guy who is an antique dealer and friend here in Birmingham is recovering from cancer, almost died! 

Tonight, we had meatloaf, sweet potato, and cole slaw. I heated a loaf of bread and was eating from my portion when I noticed a huge green area on the bottom about 2'x2'. I spit out the bite I had just taken and chewed. Most of it was green. Gross! I warned Tommy not to eat his piece either. I hope we don't get sick.

We have leftover meatloaf for tomorrow night. It took me forever, it seemed, to get it mixed and in the oven! I forgot to put in onion and there was not enough salt, but neither of us salted it more. There was so much diced bell pepper that we were both happy with the taste. I used Hunt's tomato sauce in the meatloaf and on top instead of catsup. That should make it healthier. Oats were the filler and two eggs bound it. If it only had onions....

Beside me is a delicious, icy-cold glass of unsweetened tea. I certainly don't drink much else now that I have ice for tea! Thanks, Janet! This will make 32 ounces of tea this evening.

Friday, I will cook the pound of frozen, raw cranberries from last year to freeze for Thanksgiving. Preparations have begun. I know they were on sale somewhere last year. Maybe I can find more to freeze.  Tommy will wash the kitchen linens on Friday. The folding of clothes never seems to end! Tomorrow, I will plant tulips! I promise. 

Have you planted any bulbs for next year? I am so far south that these can be planted in December or January and they will bloom. I did that one year. But, I will plant part of my bulbs tomorrow, even if not many.

7 comments:

  1. Being put on call doesn't necessarily mean she lost her job - maybe there were just less kids this week. Did they say she was fired or let go?
    Kroger had fresh cranberries on sale this week. I don't eat them - but did notice. Hopefully you see some in your area in the next couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      The owner talked to her. The director talks and laughs with other employees in the halls, but when friend comes along, the director does not even look her way. She is last white to work at this place and is being replaced. She hired another employee just last week, so it is not a matter of few kids. More enroll all the time.
      i think the Monday ads might have cranberries on sale!

      Delete
  2. I planted my bulbs about two or three weeks ago (Michigan). I was worried I wouldn't get it done in time before winter but the weather turned and it's a beautiful Fall now.
    Daughter gave me a book to read that is in her evergrowing to read pile. It's historical and I can't wait to read it. I can't read in bed too much ...I fall asleep in just a couple of pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      No worries here about being too late. I am glad you got it done so you will have flowers next spring.
      I am one of the rare humans who is stimulated by reading and stays awake. Mostly, I have to make myself quit reading or I would be up all night. I like history.

      Delete
  3. 32 ounces of tea in an evening ? I would be up so many times in the night ! Unless you are drinking decaffinated tea, does this not add to your sleep issues ? I love iced tea but have to be careful when it is consumed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,
      I do drink decaffeinated tea! I slept four hours before I had to get up to go to the bathroom.

      Delete
    2. Connie,
      I do drink decaffeinated tea! I slept four hours before I had to get up to go to the bathroom.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...