Friday, November 18, 2022

Dogs in Clothes, Rotten Raspberries, Tommy "Cooks"

 I did a double take because my noisy neighbors had a new dog. No, the black dog had on a grey dog coat/sweater that has four legs. So, the black dog appeared to be a light gray dog with black feet. 

Lynda's dog was in the yard with a red coat on and looking proud. Lynda said she came right over and stood still to get the coat on and pranced around afterwards. When Lynda wanted to take the coat off, the dog kept backing off, wanting to keep it on. Funny. 

Remember how I bought three containers of raspberries and had to take back two? Well, I got two more to take their place. AND, they were bad, too. So, I took those back, got my money back. No more raspberries. One container is frozen.

Then, I went to one store, bought three more warm nightgowns and a few miscellaneous items. The truth is--I don't remember what I bought! We had one more chore and came home about 4 pm. Since I slept well, warm in my new warm nightgown, I did not feel a need for a nap. YAY! 

Thursday, I put a chicken in the refrigerator to thaw. About noon today, I put it in a stockpot in the sink, filled it with water to thaw it. After we watched the news tonight, we baked it. I say "we" because Tommy was heavily involved. I told him I would give him credit he earned. 

I stood at the sink, hanging on and groaning in pain, he turned on the oven. He got out a pan, the cooking bag from the box and held the bag while I put the hen inside. He got the carrots from the refrigerator, opened them, and helped get the baby carrots into the bag with the chicken. I managed to put the fastener on the bag to shut it and poked knife holes.  Then, I hobbled back to sit in the living room. He made all this prep go faster with less pain for me.

Oh, before I put the hen in the bag, he got the flour out and sort of shook some from the quart jar into the bag. I did manage to shake the cooking bag to coat it with flour. He got all seasonings from the cabinet--salt, pepper, rubbed sage and sprinkled them on the breast of the chicken before I put the hen inside. He put two pieces of celery on top of the hen. He sprinkled powdered onion and powdered garlic on the hen, too. His help is indispensable! Then, he put the chicken in the oven. 

The carrots and celery came from the food giveaway. I had two little snack boxes that had vegetables and hummus. So, I used all the carrots from the two boxes and celery from one of them. There is a bit of broccoli and three grape tomatoes left. 

While the movie was on, I chopped celery and onions. I used the ones I had chopped for dressing. So, there is more chopped. Later, I will take the rest of the breast off the bone. He will remove the rest of the meat from the carcass. 

Dinner--We had baked chicken and carrots and mashed potatoes, Idahoan Three Cheese. There will be meat left for another meal and two lunches. He can have all the potatoes. Carrots are all eaten. We will have a salad. Since dinner was so late, I had crackers and cheese and he had a bagel. 

If I feel like it tonight, I will feel for another turkey, turkey breast, or chicken in the refrigerator and put it in the refrigerator to thaw. 

Very few foods taste right lately. It must be the antibiotic I am taking. Tommy said the mashed potatoes tasted okay. I could barely eat them.

Tonight, we watched Christmas in Connecticut and The Bishop's Wife. To say they were both wonderful is an understatement. 

Tomorrow, the plan is to stay home! I will bake the sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving and remove the skins.  

How do your dogs feel about wearing clothes--sweaters or coats or tshirts, whatever you put on them or try to put on them? Or, do you believe dogs should not wear clothes? 

Do you need help or get help in order to get a meal on the table in a timely manner? I can do this and take longer and hurt more. But, he comes to me and helps when I ask. It saves time and pain. 

What are your plans for Saturday? 

11 comments:

  1. If things taste odd, you might consider covid?
    I usually laugh at people who put their dogs in coats, I think most dogs are fine without a coat unless it's really quite cold.
    With greyhounds I have learnt to put coats on. Harry used to get cold easily and could wear up to three coats if the temperature approached zero. Milly is a smaller dog but seems to cope better with cold but i still dress her up for the cold.
    For many years now I've routinely put coats on and off dogs at night and in the morning so I guess i have to suspend judgement!

    Before my foot surgey I got very fatigued by trying to cook a meal and took all the help I could get. These days I find it easier but I still don't do anything very ambitious. I'm glad Tommy helps, cooking is so relentless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the antibiotic I am taking. I can see how greyhounds might get cold. It is amazing how we do what we have mocked sometimes.
      "Relentless" is a very apt word to describe cooking.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you got help with the chicken. I think it is nice when both work together.
    I do believe animals should have extra protection when it is cold out. Most dogs have shorter hair and coats make sense.
    No big plans today - just winging it. It is VERY cold here, so staying home for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      He helps all I need when I ask. Otherwise, meals would be sparse. Some dogs do seem to get cold.
      It is 29F here, frigid to me. I need to be home. Besides, I am up in the middle of the night with 2 hours sleep, so I will be napping while the cars are wild today.

      Delete
  3. Fritzi had to wear her little onesie after spaying, but she is not one to stay still long enough to put clothes on. Our Fuzzy Pom used to like to wear his Batwings for Halloween when I would sit with him inside the house on my lap with the widow on the storm door off and hand out candy. All of the kids got a kick out of his bat outfit, being a black pomeranian with red outlined fabric bat wings did look cute on him, and he would smile with his mouth open all of the time. He liked his Halloween costume, other than that with all of the fur he had, clothes were kind of hot for him, so I never had him wear any, though he liked to wear a bandana sometimes. I love seeing cute outfits on dogs but have always had long haired dogs who always had their own fur outfit on.
    It is great when my husband helps out getting a meal ready. Sometimes while I am cooking burger, he will blend the Hunts stewed tomatoes with the immersion blender for me and that saves a lot of time. Sometimes my leg gets too tired while I am cooking and he will finish browning something in the skillet, too. Steak and Shake and Jack in the box that were near us closed down and now we only have fast food places that we don;t like nearby, so we don't do much fast food at all anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. susie,
    That does sound cute, a black bat on your lap. That is funny that she liked the bat costume. Did she ever see herself? Taking the window off the storm door is a great idea for Halloween and handing out candy.
    Any little in the kitchen really does help. Tommy was a real help last night. It is my back that hurts below my waist and needs surgery. I turned around and caught him wrestling with the Glad Press and Seal. Finally, he got a pair of scissors to cut it. He still has not figured out how to tear it off. I think he was sort of humiliated.
    Standing at the stove is HARD! What do you do with the blended stewed tomatoes?
    I have never been to a Steak and Shake or Jack in the Box. But, the nearest burger place is my favorite--BK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the blended stewed tomatoes, and add a can of tomato soup, chopped onions, green pepper and rice, and the seasonings we like, with lean burger or cut up small pieces of pork roast left overs. I guess it is kind of Spanish rice with the meat built in. My Mom used to use her home grown/canned tomatoes and cook a similar dish using browned pork chops for the meat and cooked covered tight with foil in the oven. That was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I make something similar. But, I was thinking with hamburgers in buns. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Here in summer it is common to put booties on the the paws of pooches to they won't burn on the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      That makes sense and is not just for the owner's vanity.

      Delete
  7. Hey,
    You shared a nice collection of the cutest pet clothes. Pet clothing differs in function. We have to choose the right clothing for pets. We need to consider their living environment, the breed of dogs, and the time of the year. A few days ago, I purchased Snow Drop Dress from Posh Puppy Boutique for my Pet at an affordable price.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...