Thursday, November 10, 2022

Friday and Dressing

 Wednesday night, I received an email from my attorney that upset me so that I did not even mention it to Tommy as I wanted to sleep and go to Cullman on Thursday. I hoped by not discussing it endlessly, I would not disrupt my sleep. No luck. Plus, Tommy would have endless questions for which I did not know the answer. In the middle of the night, I emailed for him to call me.

Finally, about 6 am, my mind gave up and I slept until about 12:15. I carried my phone to the bathroom, everywhere, not wanting to miss the call. It made my day miserable. Still, I did not want to be more  upset, so I did not tell Tommy. 

About 4:30 I called the attorney. Well, he came to the phone immediately. I asked him if he got my email. He had tried to call me and got the message that my phone was not receiving calls. Since a doctor's office, a nurse, and various people tell me this happens, I suppose I have to approach the cell phone company to see what is the matter. 

As it turned out, the email was not a bad thing, just annoying. So, I explained to Tommy as I understood it and he did not have one question. I wasted a night's peace because of nothing. 

I am continuing with the Thanksgiving food made early. I got a box of SS, cornbread. I made it with the intention of freezing it if it were okay. It is not. The cornbread SS is way too salty and the herbs and spices are not to my liking. I suppose I tried it long ago and never bought it again. 

Maybe I will bake a pan of cornbread, crumble and freeze it to make later. We will see. But this box was a big fat fail. Other flavors of Stovetop Stuffing have always been fine. 

Going off DST had really played havoc with our schedules--when we can shop. About 2:30, I told Tommy I needed bananas. He wants to watch Jeopardy from 3-4 pm, so I asked if 4 pm was okay. It was. So, we just made a grocery list. I tell him what and he writes it. 

All I wanted was bananas, but it took him almost an hour and he came back with 2 packages of Ocean Spray whole cranberries from the produce section. I did not want two and not even one now. I always write down all I want and then look at the list and see which store is cheaper. He thought I definitely wanted two, when I was just writing the price. One will do and if it is cheaper in the next 6 weeks, I can buy more. It's okay. 

We then stopped at Walgreen's to get a prescription I need in the morning. There were only two people in the car line, but it took forever. Usually, there are at least six cars. 

We did not get home until almost pitch dark. There was the faintest bit of light at 5:30. This will only get worse until Dec 22. This depresses me greatly.

A story on the news reported that research showed that meditation/mindfulness is as good as medication for depression or almost as good. Well, that is what my swing was for. That is what sitting facing trees and flowers was for. That is what my chickens in the yard did for me. It was peaceful and green. Plus, birds in the trees and squirrels scampering helped meditation. I miss my swing. I miss my yard. And, for a long time, I have missed chickens. I have never been diagnosed with depression, but I suppose anyone can be depressed. 

Today, I staggered into the kitchen, put my scrambled eggs into the microwave, and opened the dishwasher to get a fork. I stood there, a little stunned and confused. Where could all the forks, all the other utensils have gone? Tommy had put them all in the drawer. I thanked him profusely. He had said he hated getting out one utensil, much less all of them. When I told him how the utensil holder would come out, he started emptying them. He is just now learning what most people have known for years. I never expect him to do any emptying of the dishwasher. 

We are expecting Friday to be a rainy day, so we will be inside, hopefully decluttering or something productive. How about you on Veteran's Day Friday? 

Do you have a proven de-stressor for your life?

Is the lack of sun playing havoc with your plans? 

Do you stuff the bird or make a pan of dressing? Do you make cornbread or loaf bread dressing?  

15 comments:

  1. We are also expecting rainy cold weather for a few days. I love it, being cozy in the house. My destressors are my dogs, just like your chickens were, Does your new town allow it, Maybe you could just a couple for pets and the bonus eggs.

    I have never been good at making dressing. I buy the pepperidge farm bag stuffing mix. It is a big bag. I can make stuffing just adding all the good stuff, celery, onions, spices and herbs. Then I just add some chicken stock for the liquid. The rest of the bag I just seal up tight. It makes a good topping for many chicken casserole dishes,

    I am not going with poultry this year since I am alone. Maybe a good lasanga, salad and garlic bread. I will make a pumpkin pie.

    And yes, anyone can be depressed. I take medication to help. Some people suffer from SAD, in the winter, I think you are one of those. Without the sun shining and warm temperatures you just don't feel well. I would talk to the doctor about it when you go in next.

    Have a good friday, maybe we both can work at decluttering LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Tommy says his town won't allow it, but I see people with chickens in their yards. I tease him about it. But, until I can easily get to the backyard, I would not want chickens. I would depend on Tommy to help me, but he and I both are less able. I would love to have the eggs. He liked my chickens a lot. He always told me what they were doing when he went out to do something in the yard. But, my chicken days are over, I think.

      Lasagna sounds really delicious! I do need the poultry, even just a chicken breast with dressing, gravy, and cranberry sauce. I have wondered if Pepperidge Farm was good. I would fix it up, too.

      I am quite sure I have SAD! Always, I complain about needing more light. I have talked to several who say to go get a light machine. There must be more to it than that. Tommy remembers and always asks me if I need the door open. So, he realizes I need it.

      After decluttering the drawer from 43 years ago, I can do anything...lol. Before, Tommy told me not to throw away his stuff. He told me to throw it all out. So, I am on a roll.

      Some of the decluttering is not organized or planned. I just suddenly feel the need to toss things...lol. He sees the difference I make in his house and his life. Yes, decluttering across the states.

      Delete
  2. I crave sunshine! My happy place is in a lawn chair on my driveway with a book. Sometimes I read it, sometimes I don't.

    Please don't take my Southern Lady Card, but I have a recipe for our Thanksgiving dressing. Gasp! It uses cornbread and sliced white bread. Isn't that a bit unusual? My Mom always used cornbread and biscuits. Her's was delicious, but how easy to use purchased bread. It is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie,
      When I was young, I sat on the driveway in my folding lounge. It was wonderful in the heat. no more. Just give me the sun and no heat. At least, I cannot sit in the heat anymore.

      I have heard of people using sliced bread and cornbread. But, I have never made it. Ours was cornbread all the way. I bet it is delicious.

      Delete
    2. Angie, I think you should post that recipe for everyone!

      Delete
  3. Keep your SS cornbread you made and add pan made cornbread or stuffing cubes and some more onions/celery/seasoning. No point in throwing out the SS if you can mitigate the salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      That is exactly what I was considering doing. However, this stuff is so salty I am not sure how much cornbread it would take...lol. Tommy likes it. I told him to take a bite and taste how salty it was. He ate a lot of it for dinner! So, the bit I have left may just be just right for seasoning a pan of cornbread dressing. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I use a light machine for SAD, and yes, that's all there is to it. I use the Phillips Go-LITE for 20 min/day. More is not better with these devices. Use it too long and you will experience sleeplessness; I know this from personal experience.

    https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HF3332_60/golite-blu-energy-light

    Pricey, yes. But mine has lasted for years and it's worth every penny.

    I usually make stuffing from a Pepperidge Farm-type mix of dried croutons. I have tried to make fancy stuffing from dried artisan bread (like a boule or ciabbata) and it always gets too mushy. I suppose I don't dry the bread long enough, until it gets rock hard like the Pepperidge Farm croutons. I add sauteed onions, garlic, and celery to mine, along with chicken broth (no water!), butter, and extra seasonings and herbs.

    This year, if we even have stuffing, I will make it from toasted and then oven-dried low-carb bread cubes. I'm not gonna blow my carb allowance on a half-cup of dressing!

    Oh, and I never stuff the bird. I know people have done it for centures, but I think it's just asking for trouble. I stuff my bird with celery, carrot, onion, and garlic bits to season the juices, which will be made into gravy and/or stock.

    If we do a traditional dinner (which will probably happen since DS and DH have not offered alternatives) I will make

    - low-carb bread stuffing
    - mashed cauliflower (again, for the carb savings)
    - green bean casserole (one without canned Cream of Crap soup)
    - broccoli (for DS)
    - roasted delicata squash with maple and bacon
    - my delectable cranberry chutney with apples/pears
    - some sort of pie with a graham cracker crust (I hate pastry crust)

    Well, now that I have it all listed out, I may as well make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue,
    Maybe I will just go out and get a light! I will do anything to sleep except drugs.
    Your dinner sounds great. I would have to work for two weeks to get your dinner on the table.
    I think I like mushy dressing since I always put more broth over the top after I have it in a casserole ready to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when I misinterpreted something and it keeps me up all night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Those lost hours of sleep are such a tragic waste!

      Delete
  7. The time change has always affected me - but it seems most of the year I get up in the dark (early riser). I don't like it being dark so early - but not a thing I can do about it. I do need sunshine. Blinds are open as soon as it is light.
    I make dressing from scratch, the way my mom did. No cornbread - I love cornbread, but not in stuffing. Never would I stuff a bird.
    I will probably go away for Thanksgiving, but I always make a turkey. I really like it and can feast on it for a long while (even freezing some).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Ugh! I hate to awake in the dark. I would have curtains or blinds open, too.
      So, you make bread stuffing. Dressing belongs in a pan. At least you have leftovers, the best part of Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  8. I bought a frozen, precooked, smoked turkey at Aldi. No one around her likes turkey very well. That being said we do like a smoked turkey.
    My mother made the very best cornbread dressing. In our family cornbread is savory, not sweet. I think she also added some leftover biscuits. Daddy liked chicken and dressing so she made it at other times not just with a turkey. I have attempted stuffing/dressing with very little success.

    The last couple of times that we hosted we served Tacos! Carne assada, or carnitas, or pollo for the meat eaters. Mushrooms or beans (black or pinto) for the vegetarians. The other day my daughter and I made tacos with roasted, seasoned, butternut squash cubes. Delicious. The family members who are gluten free can eat everything since we use corn tortillas. I offer salad, rice and beans but most people stuck with the tacos. Of course we had guacamole & chips too. The gathering is the thing to be thankful for more than the standard turkey dinner.
    This year I am not certain what I am going to do for Thanksgiving. I have received an invitation to join my son-in-law's family for an Indian food meal. They will order it from a restaurant instead of cooking it at home. I do cook several Indian dishes. Indian is one of my favorite cuisines!
    I am also tempted to just stay home.... I do realize that I need interact with other people. Since John died much of my life feels "wonky". I have gone to my daughter's several times and a couple of weeks ago I did go to lunch with some people from High School. I'm not feeling particularly social.

    I received your happy little card. I LOVE it and have hung it beside my "office" end of my dining room table. Did you do the darling drawing? It is so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make my dressing with cornbread Ms Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix. We all love it and look forward to it every year. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...