Friday, November 11, 2022

I Could Not Help Myself

 

First, I bought new flannel sheets--Laura Ashley Lisalee.

I have no idea why this post it the way it is. I cannot seem to get the justification correct. Anyway, I knew last December that I did not need to buy more Christmas cards, no matter how cheap! But, today, I bought two boxes! But, one was very pretty and the other was all African animals in Christmas scarves. So, how could I resist? but, but, but... They are National Geographic and marked down!

The 12 cards were $2 and 18 (17 cents each) were $3 (17 cents each). They are both very colorful, glossy and sort of glitter-y. The glitter I can do without.

The sheets were on sale for less than half price. Then, I found a coupon. Then, I decided to use a gift card, the one that I got for all the confusion a few months ago. Well, that gift card and another will not work. Or, maybe the site does not work. The sheets ended up costing about $50. I hope they are as pretty as the picture above.

The cards were in a grocery store that always has table, carts, clothes racks of merchandise deeply reduced. It is a strange store, but I have gotten good deals from these clearance tables. 

We are not doing very well at getting home before dark. I can tell the impending darkness bothers Tommy since he drives too close to the center line. I see cars dodging to avoid us as they approach. He says it is me, no. 

Last night, I slept my usual four hours, stayed up in here and waited for Tommy to wake. We decided to watch Sgt. York instead of the news. Well, at 11:15, I was so sleepy and went to bed and slept until 3:30. This is just wrong! 

Lynda just called. Her dog has not eaten for three days. She took it to the vet. The doctor said it could be some sort of stress since nothing else seemed wrong. Nothing is happening at her house. So, I suggested it could be DST ending. Then, she said the dog kept going to the bedroom to sleep and she would not. Finally, she turned on the tv in the bedroom so she could watch tv and the dog could go to bed. Lynda said the dog kept making faces, so she turned the tv off. Before she could get back in bed, the dog had scooted up beside her and was asleep before she could lie down. I suggested DST ending had bothered her dog. She thinks I might be right. So, dogs are affected by all the time changes. Do you have an animal who is upset by the time change? 

Today, my Thanksgiving prep is chopping onions and celery. I think I have celery. 

We are watching the last episode of M*A*S*H. There is some sort of special on after this. Good deal. TV is a trial to me right now. At midnight we always watched Frasier. Now, it is all Hallmark. We hate those. Tommy says there are only the murder shows. I would rather watch Hallmark. He would not. Really, I probably don't, either! Reading is best. 

Today is my brother's birthday. Gary was born on 11-11 and died on 12-12 at age 44, my little brother. 

Tommy is doing well eating off the new plates. At first, he sort of had a silent protest by eating off old plates, not that I care. I just noticed. He used a butterfly plate for dinner. Today, I used one plate all day. The first time I made a sandwich and nothing was drippy or smeary. There were only crumbs. The next time, I ate a few of Tommy's Fritos. Then, I had chicken and rice and the rest of dinner. I will wash it now...lol. I am still afraid to get paper plates for things like sandwiches and snacks, fearing he will just use them all the time. At Thanksgiving I will start using my Holiday plates along with these, I suppose. 

Don't you love new flannel sheets? They always get less cuddly as time goes on, imo. 

MASH is just about my favorite show ever. I told my daughter when she was still a child that when I was old I needed MASH, diet coke, and a rocking chair! Were you, are you a MASH fan? 

Do you think a dog can be stressed by the time change? Lynda was not stressed, so there is no chance the dog picked on her emotions.





12 comments:

  1. I love new sheets and your certainly seem to be very pretty. I guess you'll be ok with Laura Ashley. And I'm pretty sure I'd go for cars with National Geographic pictures too. They're always stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I would never have paid the price for these. But, on sale I am happy. Thanks. I love the look. Sometimes pictures of sheets are wrong. Those cards are stunning!

      Delete
  2. Our little Fritzi Pom is only upset by the change in time in the morning until she can scritch scratch as loud and long enough on the floor of her crate to finally make me wake up enough that I need to go to the bathroom. I sneakily watched her this morning without her seeing, first she was beneath her wee pad which she doesn't like to use in her cage, so she stays clean, and she was rolling on her back chewing on it. Then she rolled over on her side and was just laying there on her side looking like she was running in place making the loud scratching noises on the cage floor. I let her out of the cage and so I am up. She goes in the bedroom and goes to sleep in there for another hour or two. She is still on the old waking up time, so she gets up and gets tired again after all. Once I am awake, my nose is stopped up, my eyes are dry, and I start thinking about all of the stuff I need to get done in the day, and I can't get back to sleep, no matter how hard I try.
    But I am so tired and dull feeling that I don't feel like doing anything for another two hours either. Unfortunately, I do not rise and shine in the morning when I wake up.

    I got my Covid booster today, Friday. It was so cold here. Only in the mid 40's, but windy too. I had on three sweaters, because I am waiting for the arrival of my new winter coat. So far just my arm is sore. I hope I don't get the sore throat and fever I got the last times I got the shot.
    I still need to get my flu shot, but I am a believer of only one shot at a time, so that if there is a problem, I know which the culprit is.

    On Thursday I wore the lower parts of my compression garments for the first time. They wanted me to start with the lower ones only. They told me that I could wear them only as long as I was comfortable in them. Well one side started making my knee cap area throb like heck. My knees have not given me pain since they healed from the surgery. I took that garment off after about 4 hours. The understocking was rolled up over my knee cap, I think that was the problem. My knee is still sore. On my other leg I was able to manage a little over 8 hours, but then the big vein inside the inner lower leg felt like it was throbbing and was kind of hurting. I felt fine a little while after I took the compression garment off. I never had varicose veins or anything, but I have heard them described and that is what that vein felt like. Maybe the garments should not have been as tight as they are. But I know they have to be tight to do the job. Maybe just not that tight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. susie,
    I could not deal with a dog waking me. It is nice she got some extra sleep...lol. I feel like a dull lump when I awake even a bit too early. In the best of times, it takes me a while to get to feeling human.

    I read that a reaction to flu or covid vaccine means it is doing its job of immunizing the person. Covid was no reaction at all. And, I was pretty sick and feverish with the flu for about 24 hours. I only wanted one vaccine at a time, too.

    It is only going to be in the 50s here this week. So, I suppose it is true that winter is finally here, temp wise. I am not happy with the temp!

    I read that compression should be light, so I don't know about that. Maybe the doctor or nurse can enlighten you. I wonder. I also read that lymphedema causes varicose veins. Anything with slight pressure is not tolerated by my knees. I had a torn meniscus repaired and the other after a few years decided to be touchy, too. Hopefully, you will get it all worked out.
    Have a nice chilly Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really pretty sheets. I have never tried flannel sheets. I always thought I'd get too warm, but they sure sound cozy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I don't find them too warm. I just don't hit an icy place when I move! Thanks. I hope they are as pretty as they look.

      Delete
  5. I am a huge MASH fan. I watch the reruns over and over again to the point that I know what they're going to say. The farewell show was a big hit through out the US when it aired. It covered all of the emotions in one show. So many of the actual actors are gone now. It's hard to believe how many years ago it originally came out. It started at a time where I had a lot of issues in my life and watching MASH took me away from them for a little while. I even had a MASH 4077 Tee shirt that I literally wore out. Had it survived, I suppose it would have been considered to be vintage. God I'm getting old. Regarding the flannel sheets. I don't care for them for 2 reasons...1) I can't move and 2) I get way too warm. We keep our thermostat turned down and I am still plenty warm. My husband loves the winter comforter and I give him my half too as it feels too heavy to me. I would speculate that Laura Ashley brand flannel sheets would be of a higher quality and perhaps remain more comfortable with multiple use and washings? I think they are a lovely print regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      When we ate, the tv went off! Except for when we ate late and MASH was on. We generally talked around the table. However, no one spoke to me during MASH. If anyone needed to say anything, they could wait until the commercial or figure it out...lol. Of course, I did talk to them afterwards to make up for my absence. They quit asking why I could watch MASH and they could not watch anything.

      I never thought I would like flannel. You are right about not being able to move, but the last few years, flannel in bed has been what I need. I still wear a thin summer nightgown in the winter because I don't like pajamas twisting around my legs. I hope this is good quality. The flannel sheets i have now are worn out from using year round and only having one set for three years. I certainly do hope these sheets aare good quality. If so, I may order another set. These were supposed to be $160 and marked down with coupon to $56.
      Thanks. I, too, think they are pretty.

      Delete
  6. The sheets are very pretty! I've never purchased flannel sheets, because I also think we'll be too warm. I just bought cotton sheets at Kohls. Got it for $37 per set during their one day BF sale. Thanks to you, I've started shopping at Belk too :) We don't have Belk here, so I purchase an item online occasionally. I love when they offer discounted gift cards.

    Never mind pets - my body's still messed up from DST. It's almost 6:30 and I'm ready for bed (I normally go to bed at 10), because it's so dark out. I wish they would just scrap this clock changing nationally. It's detrimental to our health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms goose,
      It seems my feet are always in a breeze in bed since I moved here, so flannel is the thing I need. I have never been to Kohl's. I think you will like the quality of the items. If you ask me, I can tell you how their brands run in clothing. I bought a $100 gift card for $75 a few years ago. I like that kind of "discount" for purchases. At one time when the granddaughters were little, I could find nice clothing cheap for Christmas and birthdays. Between Belks sales and WM sales I bought things greatly reduced.

      My body is not suffering from DST ending since I have problems sleeping anyway. Being dark so early messes up my plans!

      Delete
  7. "we spend our money sort of rashly; but life is so divine with Laura Ashley"

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...