Wednesday, November 9, 2022

I Swear with My Hand on a Cookbook

 In order to get everything done and as cheaply as possible, I am doing Thanksgiving in stages. Today, I made a list of everything I will need for the meal. Next, I will check to see if I need to buy those items. Then, from this week onward, I will watch for sales for those items.

One thing I did was prepare Tommy and the refrigerator for the day. I told Tommy we had to keep the top shelf of the refrigerator clear enough to hold a turkey in a pan to thaw. For him, that means not opening a bottle of juice. Telling him this was also to help me remember not to buy too much milk, no matter cheap the price. 

Today, I tried to bend in front of the big freezer to find a turkey at the bottom. Since there is no light in the room, I am doing this blind, so to speak. I felt and felt until I thought I felt the rounded mass of poultry. 

When I pulled, I finally dislodged a turkey breast. YAY! When I put this one in the oven, I will dislodge another turkey or turkey breast. I swear with my hand on a cookbook that I will never, ever buy another whole turkey no matter how cheap it is.  They are too much bother for me to hold and put in a pan and then into the oven. I barely got myself standing after getting the breast loose from the freezer. 

Tonight, I decided to cook the two chicken breasts in a chicken, soup, rice, green bean casserole. I might put cheese on the top if I have what I want to use. Otherwise, it will still be delicious. Tommy said to put broccoli in the casserole. So, I put in frozen broccoli florets, bought on sale, bogo from Publix. I did add a tiny jar of pimiento. Tommy does not like pimiento, but if I drain the juice, he says it is fine. So, I drained it. It looks like a pretty Christmas dish. There will be several nights of leftovers from this. 

I mashed 2.5 large bananas, one too ripe even for me. These will be used in a banana bread. Maybe this will be made before Thanksgiving, maybe not. Don't hold me to anything cooking-related...lol. 

PAM is going to kill me! I staggered out of the kitchen to find an inhaler. I know I can put a smear of oil in a casserole. Why do I do this? Yes, I might get the device that will mist oil in pans. 

Today, about 4:30 pm, Tommy looked to see if we had any mushroom soup. He said we did not, so we headed out to Publix before it became too dark. When we got home, I found lots of cream of mushroom soup. He did not look in the place where I put it. Oh, well. We were going out for bread, anyway.

I told him to get low sodium soup if he found it. Well, he called and said there was a no salt variety and a low sodium variety. The low sodium variety had 750 mg sodium and the no salt had something like 5 mg sodium. I still need to examine all the other ingredients in the no-salt can. That will be done soon, maybe tonight, maybe not.

This morning, we spent time in the kitchen. I washed about two dozen snap-lock lids for the glass baking/storage dishes. Tommy dried them and organized them so much better than I would have. He had found a bin I bought from DT and keeps the sizes together. While he was drying, I finished cleaning out a drawer.  He has held onto fuses since before his fuse box was changed for a breaker box. So, more in the trash and less stored useless items. 

Just now, I asked him how long it had been since he had a fuse box. Never. So, he has had a breaker box since he moved in here in 1980. The fuses were from the last owner! He has kept their stuff for over 42 years. He had no idea where the little light bulbs were from or if they worked as they were from the previous owner! 

It is getting chilly out. Tonight, tiny children were still in shorts and shirts. 

At 11:15 am, I was ready for a nap since I slept less than 5 hours. Of course, I always hope for sleep, so maybe tonight will be better.

The ads start today, but I found nothing of great interest to me. How about you? Any good sales? 

7 comments:

  1. Daddy started cooking roasting chickens for Thanksgiving when he turned 85. Said turkeys were too much work and too many leftovers even when the family popped in on him that weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      There is no such thing as too many leftovers in my book. At 85, someone should be cooking Thanksgiving for him and not popping in. When I am 85, I will be retired from cooking...lol.

      Delete
  2. I think you are very smart to cook in stages like that. It sure saves a lot of headache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting about Thanksgiving food & cooking Linda. It reminded me to buy my French's onions at Sams. I buy the big bag, since the unit price is cheaper than buying the cans at the grocery store. We eat non-traditional Thanksgiving food, but I must have my green bean casserole & pumpkin pie. The non-traditional food also means I have to spend less time cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      I would buy a larger size for the best value, but I am not to be trusted around an open container of French's onions. I would just eat the rest once I made one casserole! And, I don't need them! I am traditional all the way, so that means more traditional food left for me.

      Delete
  4. I still dont' know if we're having turkey for Thanksgiving, but yesterday I bought a 14.5 lb turkey at .49/lb. It was part of a "spend $25, get the bargain price" promotion. I just can't pass up protein at such a cheap price. There's a limit of 2 per savings card, so I will pick up another one before the promo ends. I'll figure out what to do with them later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Publix has turkeys for $0.49/lb with no other purchase necessary, a good price, and no card needed. That is a great price you found. If you can handle a turkey, I would get several more as they become available.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...