Monday, November 14, 2022

Sick Again

 

Tommy did test me. It did not go well for him. When I am ill, just stop with the nit-picking!

On Sunday night, I slept a good 7 hours, took a 4 or 5 hour nap, and then slept with my recliner back for an hour. 

I had a huge knot on my neck, lymph node, I suppose. I felt so ill, feverish. And, then he went too far. I did not sleep all night long and was in here at about 7 am. My temp is up a steady two or three degrees. I ache. My neck hurts. 

We drove two miles to Publix and back. I wanted eggs and he got Chips Ahoy cookies, too. I felt so awful. But, I can put the turkey breast in the oven. Right? No, it was still frozen mostly. I let water run into the plastic bag sealing it and went to bed at 6 pm and told Tommy to call me at 6:30 pm and I would put the breast into the oven. I finally got up at 8:30 and got it into the oven by 9:30. It will be done at 11:30 pm, so I can eat a bit and get it back into the refrigerator for freezing tomorrow. 

Tommy did everything, handed me everything while I leaned on the sink, never moving, just handling the breast. He handed me cooking bag, dish towel, salt, pepper, ground sage, pan; celery. broccoli, carrots from refrigerator. Then, he put it in the oven and turned it on. I know I should pre-heat! 

Before I got up, he ate chopped chicken on a salad. This is why I keep plenty of options in the refrigerator for him--I don't have to be present for him to eat a healthy meal, and he does not eat junk.  
Oh, I don't have to worry about the cornbread Stovetop Stuffing since Tommy threw it out. Obviously, he did not like it. 

Monday, I had an appointment for an MRI. I cancelled. Of course, I could have napped in the machine. I have done that before. 

Nothing says Christmas like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I love it. I think I will have a cup of hot chocolate since I am freezing. Between being cold and body aches, I am just miserable. 

The pink bag of ads and coupons came today. We made a list of what we need, want, and might buy.  I don't want to be in crowds and fighting to get around in multiple stores to find what I need at the last minute. I will list the sales tomorrow. 

Have you gotten the ads for this week? Any good deals/sales at your stores? What classic holiday movies do you enjoy? 



14 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear you're sick.

    Have you tried a bit of light massage to help unclog your lymph node? I'm not talking about using pressure; lymph node massage is only gentle stroking on and below the node with the fingertips. Do the stroking towards the heart. Doing this several times a day may help clear the blockage.

    Of course keep drinking lots of liquids; hot decaf or herbal tea (or even chicken broth) would be better than hot chocolate. I like hot tea with a bit of orange juice added when I am feeling super lousy. Normally I stay away from the sugar in juice, but sometimes the body does better with it.

    Are you popping lots of Vitamin C supplements? Remember, don't get the chewable or gummy C's; the citric acid erodes tooth enamel!

    Hope you feel better soon, Linda!

    As far as deals/sales, I got a screaming deal on cooked chicken breast at Sam's Club last week. 3 pounds of rotisserie roasted, bone-in chicken breasts (there were 4 breasts) for $1.59/lb. They are all wrapped and in the freezer.

    I bought a bag of Pepperidge Farm stuffing for DH/DS for Thanksgiving. I will be making my own pan with low-carb bread. Hmm, I better season the bread and start drying it out today. Off to see if Google can find me some recipes on how to make/season your own bread cubes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I do the massage, milking of lymph nodes and have for years, before i knew it was a thing to do.
      Vitamin C--got it.
      That was a good deal, but I have to take the chicken off the bone since I think the bone in and refrigerated tastes awful. I suppose I am the only one who thinks that.
      Actually, seasoning the dressing will season the bread cubes. My plain cornbread homemade dressing is seasoned with chopped celery and onion, plus, salt, pepper, and sage. It is tasty without seasoning the bread first.

      Delete
    2. I did take the breast meat off the bone before wrapping them for freezing--no good could come of letting it freeze to the bone. Oh, and the deal was better than I said--it was $.133/lb. An even screamier deal, shall we say. ;^)

      I've made stuffing from plain bread, and was not thrilled with the results. I want to see if baking the seasonings into the bread itself will improve the flavor.

      I guess what I was trying to say about lymph massage (but said poorly) is that a light massage--far less than one would exert on muscles--is best. Also, even though it may not be swollen, it's important to massage the nodes below the clogged ones, to ensure there is space to drain to.

      I find the lymph system absolutely fascinating. If I needed a second career, it would be as a lymphatic massage therapist. Or a speech pathologist. :^) :^)

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I did wonder if you could not taste the bone if you froze it on the bone.

      I know how to lymph massage in my neck. I have been doing that for about 30 years but did not know it was a thing. I was telling my nurse friend what I did that seemed to help and she told me I was doing "lymph milking."
      Being a speech therapist interests me too. But, I would want to enroll most people I hear in the South. Seriously, I taught my son how to help his little sister by getting down in front of her and showing her where to put her tongue and lips. Unbelievably, this two-year-old looked in his mouth and did what he said. All my children spoke well and were very verbal very early.

      Delete
  2. Are you having your turkey this week instead of on Thanksgiving day?
    My friend always has a Thanksgiving either early or late for just her and her husband. She fixes a bone in breast for the two of them.Then they go to other family Thanksgiving celebrations, too.

    I need to have my husband get a turkey breast for us to have, so it will have time to thaw out. I need to get some other Thanksgiving "fixins" for us, too. I don't know what day our son will arrive yet, but he can have some of our turkey and stuff if he wants, and his main.
    Thanksgiving out at my daughter's. He is coming home from The Netherlands, I hope his flights will all go well. My daughter and her husband always make a really big Thanksgiving meal, with lots of appetizers and stuff, because everybody brings stuff, my husband's two sisters bring dishes of food and I used to, too.

    My Grandson especially enjoys it when his Uncle Tommy (my son) comes to visit. I am sure that our Grand Daughter will be crazy about Uncle Tommy this year, too. She is almost two years old and is over all of that shyness stuff. So she is going to want to wrestle and be swung around and all of the rough housing stuff that Uncle Tommy does with her brother.

    I hope you will feel better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      This breast is for Thanksgiving since I cannot do much at a time. Even if I were going elsewhere, I would have a bit of Thanksgiving here, too, just for the leftovers.
      Your Thanksgiving sounds great with lots of people and food. I hope your son gets there in time for the big day.
      At two, children like to have a good time with their older relatives who like roughhousing. My children did. It sounds like fun.
      Not feeling much better, but not worse.

      Delete
  3. PS: I hope you aren't putting Pyrex dishes in a non-preheated oven! They can/will explode--I know from experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I always preheat the oven no matter what I am cooking in. Of course, Tommy wants to turn on the oven and put the food in at any time. The other day I said to him--is the light off? Put the whatever in with light off. I turned to see him turn off the oven and pop the dish of whatever into the oven.
      I was questioning him. He said that I told him to turn it off and put the dish in. No! He cannot stand to be corrected!!! He has to argue for ten minutes over what I said and that I did not use the right words and that he did exactly what I said to do.

      Delete
  4. Hope you are feeling better soon. For Christmas movies I'd have to say Elf is one of my favorites, and of course National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Let's put it this way--I am not worse. Still, I feel miserable, tire easily and pain in neck. I have never seen Elf. Maybe I need to remedy that.

      Delete
  5. I hope you feel better soon! Also, love the shirts in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COL,
      Thanks. I hope so, too. I need those shirts with pithy messages, but I will dream and post them here.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...