Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sunday This and That

 Rats! I forgot about the Budweiser Clydesdales in four or five different places right near me this last week! I am disappointed. I remembered in time to go to Cullman, but I have something hard to do on Monday, so I let it go. 

Saturday night, I slept about 7 hours and was ready for a looong nap four hours later. Maybe I can just sleep through the winter, hibernate. Actually, a lymph node is swollen on the side of my neck. So, I will struggle to stay well.

Tommy usually disappears into the kitchen at night. Sometimes, I cannot hear him. Other times, I hear little noises. If I go in there, he may be giving himself his night shot of insulin. I don't like to go in when he is giving himself insulin because I might bump him as he turns loose his walker and stands with both hands on the needle. So, I just sit. 

Saturday night, he was in there forever and making little noises and then long stretches of silence. Finally, during the little noises, I went in. He was sorting dishes in the sink. He told me he put all the plates in the dishwasher and all the utensils! Glory be! The man is almost tame. I felt bad he did all that. Then, later, he showed me that largest of the plates we have and asked could he mix the sizes. Well, of course. But, I pointed out that putting all the same diameters together would eventually leave a bit more room in the dishwasher. I was nearer the dishwasher, so I told him I would just put it in and not to rearrange. 

When we got the dishwasher, he did not know the baskets for the utensils would come out of the dishwasher. When he figured that out, he started removing the basket and taking it to the drawer to put them in their little nooks. Will miracles never end?

Slowly, we are figuring out more items to recycle. It occurred to me that the paper recycling could hold receipts and torn up notes we have written. Now, I need to find out where to recycle other items--dark plastic med containers from prescriptions, glass dark glass med bottles, labels that have sticky on the back, etc. 

Composting is something I need to figure out, too. For twenty or so years, I threw apple cores and such into a hole in the edge of my yard. I suppose I only drew critters. No, the raccoons only came for my chickens. But, nothing went into the landfill. Then, I built a compost pile inside a cage of building blocks. Finally, the chickens arrived, and they took care of kitchen scraps. Now, I cannot get into the backyard. So, I am stuck throwing kitchen scraps into the trash. I don't know anyone here who gardens, or I would offer scraps. So, I think about this lots. 

My red Kiss is sitting on a table nearby and is very handy for keeping coins. 

The low was predicted to be 30F last night and the same for tonight. It is past time to bring in the hummingbird feeders. So, no flowers, no hummingbirds here, just as well since we cannot leave the door open. I am against cold weather. 

Sunday night, we took a quick drive to see what was already up for Christmas decorations. There was a Thanksgiving decoration-one white, huge, turkey--inflatable, and lit. 

The Christmas movie classics are back, so that is a good thing for me. I love those. 

    BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE

This was a pleasant low-key Sunday. How was your day? What did you do this weekend? What are your plans for the week?

16 comments:

  1. Men in the kitchen are suspect and up to no good until proven otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      If only he could cook...lol. He makes coffee that confuses me when I hear water running and little pops.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the FAR north, and we have Anna's hummingbirds all-year round. They survive on the feeders people leave out, and small bugs (hummers eat small flying bugs). I even heat my hummingbird feeders in the worst of the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a nice quiet weekend.
    The weather turned out lovely and sunny, so we enjoyed a nice walk in the Autumn sunshine ...

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think you might be training that man! You get a gold star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I just comment on how to do things and why I do what I do. Last night, I changed the row of plates, putting them all facing the center of the dishwasher. I told him this morning that I did it and to look. He did and was surprised, did not know why. So, I told him. I did not make him redo them or anything draconian like that....lol.

      Delete
  5. Some veterinary offices, humane society, animal control type places, etc will take used prescription containers for giving out meds for pets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is a short video for Tommy. This lady has a lot of short "How To" videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hY8pHKb3HU&ab_channel=BabsAkaNonna (You will probably have to cut and paste that link)

    If you are unfamiliar with cutting and pasting here is how to do it. Highlight the link then right click and choose copy. Now go to your search area. Click in the empty search area, right click and choose the paste option. Easy Peasy after you have done it a few times. If you already cut and paste just ignore my instructions HaHa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I will show him. I do know how to copy and paste.

      Delete
  7. "Men in the kitchen are suspect and up to no good until proven otherwise."

    Hah! I'll say! When my DH is in the kitchen I know he's out to sabotage my healthy eating. His last effort was Magnolia Kitchen's Banana Pudding. He's brought us the pudding from MK in New York and it's fabulous.

    Well, the recipe is even better, because he uses Biscoff cookies instead of Nilla wafers (which are exceedingly bland) and vanilla-spiked whipped cream. Holy saints in heaven, his banana pudding is out of this world! I am helpless before it.

    He does this all the time; decides he needs something sweet and makes a huge, fattening dessert. This is the second time in 2 weeks he's made it. I told him if he made it again before Christmas I'd smother him in his sleep. With his own pudding.

    Could the man not make a pot of vegetable soup or something? GEEZ!!!

    I think it's great to be learning new things, no matter how old we are. It keeps the brain fresh, doing new stuff and changing up old routines. Who says you can't teach an old grouch new tricks? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Tommy can dish up food--period. I don't think he has ever used a recipe in his life. I am impressed your husband cooks anything. But, it would be nice if a guy did cook a meal. Tommy has cooked hamburgers from scratch...lol...he has taken a whole package of hamburger, made all of it into burgers and then put them in the oven to heat...that is the extent of his cooking.
      I don't think vanilla wafers are bland at all. He can whip cream? Tommy and I were discussing that and he did not know it could be done. I don't think there is enough time to teach him a lot more...lol.

      Delete
  8. With a Kitchenaid stand mixer, one can do damn near anything! It's a fun toy and my husband likes to play with it.

    My husband does cook things besides sweets, but everything he makes is loaded with carbs. He makes the best lasagne in the world (no recipe), but it's a coronary/diabetic stroke in a pan. It's killer. LITERALLY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I just asked Tommy if he had ever followed a recipe to cook something. He said he had not. I wish I had a Kitchenaid stand mixer!

      He is not the only master of carb cooking! I seem to make carby stuff. Now, I want lasagna as I love it.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...