Thursday, November 24, 2022

Thanksgiving 2022

 I slept well and long on Wednesday night, so when Tommy waked me to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I was ready for the day. I always enjoy the parade, but this is only about the second time I have been able to enjoy the whole thing since I was always in the kitchen cooking. Since we have delayed our meal for a week, this works for me.

The Lion King entry was just about the best I have ever seen. The giraffe was spectacular. People were the animals, of course. But the execution was nothing like I have ever seen. CLICK HERE to see the performance. Four people are in the elephant legs! The performance starts at 30 seconds.

We both found something for lunch. I had crackers and cheese. Tommy had bread with Swiss cheese melted on top in the microwave. 

We did watch the dog show and Gunsmoke. Who knows? Then, we went for a drive and there was barely anyone on the roads. Jeopardy was on when we came home. I was going to cook chicken tenders, but it was spoiled, not sure how. Sweet potatoes are in the oven. He will have roasted chicken leftovers, sweet potatoes, and leftover cole slaw. I had a sweet potato and later tuna salad.

When the sweet potatoes are done, I will make sweet potato bread using my pumpkin bread recipe. Sometimes, I think I almost prefer it to pumpkin bread. I have also made sweet potato pie using my pumpkin pie recipe. No, I will make the sweet potato bread on Friday. I am too tired.

The rain held off until around dinner. Thankfully, the roads were not rainy for visiting and driving on the interstate during the day. I always worry about people on holidays since so many people drink and drive. 

My friend, Lynda, did not cook or go anywhere, either, today. When I talked to her about 6 pm, she had been moving a sofa by herself all afternoon. 

This evening, I had to use my four-legged cane for a few trips around the house. My knee does not hurt at all, but it keeps collapsing, not holding me up. My left knee would not bend much until I fell on it. Now, it bends just fine. What's with that? It feels like I tore the medial left meniscus, like I tore the right one twenty years ago.  I may be the only person who went to physical therapy and was injured due to negligence of the facility and the therapist. 

Today, we had grapes; I also had apple and banana.

If all happens as I plan, we will have sweet potato bread and so will Lynda. Now, I will make it on Friday.

Did you watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? How did you like the Lion King portion? 

Have you ever substituted sweet potato for pumpkin in pumpkin bread loaves? Or made sweet potato pie?

How far did you travel to celebrate Thanksgiving? What was your favorite food?



12 comments:

  1. I never watched it until DH turned it on whe. #2 was about 1. Tuesday ns out, toddlers love it, so it became a ritual...he would sit with them and watch the parade, while I cooked. Yesterday, we had Girl here, and she told me she had never heard if the parade. DH turned the t.v. on, and there it was, but showing the opening number from "Six." I called Girl down, but rewound to show her the number. Damn, if the whole house, boys too, didn't make their aays down for that and then weren't danced around for the better part of the afternoon, with Boy-With-a-Plan doing an impromptu solo of the chorus from Anne of Cleves' number. We have plans to see it if it makes its way to them s area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I am glad everyone enjoyed it. It sounds like it was fun at your house with dancing and singing.

      Delete
    2. Omg, my spelling/syntax. Laptop broke, so on a Kindle...hard to type, and the errors are hard to see. Yikes!

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      I finally figured it all out. The only thing that has me stymied is the Anne of Cleves comment. I knew something was happening with your typing.

      Delete
    4. He kept singing the chorus from the Anne of Cleves number in the musical "Six."

      Delete
  2. I watched the parade too--it's pretty much a tradition as I have been doing this for years and introduced hubby to it. I love that they now have the dog show right after the parade so we always watch both now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COL,
      The parade is a good tradition. If Tommy did not want to watch the dog show, I would not...lol.

      Delete
  3. We turn the parade on but only watch it in passing because we were doing kitchen stuff.
    I have seen The Lion King Twice. Once on Broadway and one with a Broadway touring company. It is visually stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is usually how I watch it--during kitchen stuff.
      I really need to see The Lion King! That is going to be a goal of mine, probably not on Broadway. My daughter has probably seen it.

      Delete
  4. We had parade on but in passing. Smart to use the cane if it's available. No sense not to sturdy your knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I almost fell down stumbling over the cane. I am a klutz with a cane! But, I do use it. Thankfully, it is much better and not collapsing here on Saturday.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...