Wednesday, November 23, 2022

The Day Before Thanksgiving

 I thought I needed to go to talk with someone in Cullman with whom I was conferring. But, he did not even come into his office. Plus, I had to pick up Tommy's paint-by-number that had been stretched. I had cancelled once and did not want the artist to have to keep holding something for me while I still owed him money. So, we went, and I got my mail. 

When I went to Publix, I found that pumpkin was $2 in Cullman and $2.49ish here. I bought another book of stamps at the PO. Another 10 cans of Double Luck green beans came home with me at $.69/can. I just wonder how long they will still have these since when the pallets they bought that are on a truck out back are empty, there will be no more in this area as I have said before. 

Every week, we comment that we need to eat at Chicken Salad Chick. This week we did. It was wonderful. If you have never eaten there, empty your piggy bank and try it. I had the Classic Carol Scoop and Loaded Potato Soup. The scoop was on a frilly lettuce leaf. I asked for tomato, too. The loaded baked potato soup was so cheesy with huge chunks of potatoes. And, it was very hot. Tommy had Fruity Fran Chicken Salad on a croissant with pasta salad. I could not believe he was ordering chicken salad with apples, pineapple, and grapes. He had never had a sandwich on a croissant. We both really enjoyed lunch! The next place to visit when we decide to wander will be Slim Chicken. 

Not having Thanksgiving on Thursday made this Wednesday seem like I should be doing something and glad I was not. The traffic was not too bad to be the busiest traffic day of the year. But, we were off the road just before 3 pm. 

Like I have said, this was a really great day...until we got home. I was carrying the picture, trying to be careful not to ruin it as it was stretched on foam board or something like that. So, I was using one hand. My left foot did not lift high enough and then I stumbled on the metal strip that is under the door. A screw is very loose and cannot be tightened, stripped the wood, I suppose. Tommy forbade me to fix it, so I just catch my foot on the strip sticking up. I fell....hard! 

I was screaming for Tommy and screaming "Help" over and over. He said he answered me once when he got to the ramp. He said there was no need to answer me again. Well, I would have been reassuring a person who had fallen and was continuously screaming for help. 

However, I am not really hurt. When I fell, it was a bit on my knees which was excruciating and then slammed forward on my face. My left arm was under me and pinned with my face on the hand. Both arms were up so that both arms were numb to my fingertips. My left ear is ringing and ringing! I did not hit my head. I feel like I have been slammed to the ground. Thankfully, he has carpets, wood floors and no concrete underneath. 

Maybe now he will allow me to find someone to fix that screw sticking up. I have told him for three years it was going to hurt one of us. Until lately, I could take it up and replace the screw, tightening the stripped part of the wood with toothpicks and wood glue. Now, I just cannot get down that far. We do need bars to pull on the doors. But, he won't pull out his wallet because he does not need them. YES, he does. He actually needs bars to pull more than I do. 

Honestly, it was a great day and lunch was terrific. It was sort of fun not to be toiling at cooking.  Or planning cooking. Or planning. Or traveling. We still wear masks, so there will be not visiting or accepting invitations. Tomorrow, we will be watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade. If I don't bake these five pounds of bscb tonight, I will bake them tomorrow afternoon. I am thinking about baking sweet potato bread, too, using my pumpkin bread recipe. It is delicious. And, we have salad. 

How was your Wednesday? 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry you fell. Hope you are OK. I worked in the yard today. Tomorrow is Thursday and I will be going to my nieces for a family dinner. I am going to bake a small turkey on Friday. I love me some turkey! Have a nice Thanksgiving and enjoy watching the parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thanks. It sounds like you will have an easy Thanksgiving. You will have lots of leftovers which is the best part. Usually, I am busy cooking, so tomorrow will be all about the parade/

      Delete

  2. Your chicken lunches sound delicious, less good was your fall. I'm thinking you will probably get a sore neck but hopefully I'm wrong about that.
    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      They were delicious. Yes, feeling it in neck and shoulders. It will be good since I won't be cooking.

      Delete
  3. Oh my--that fall sounds dreadfull! And yet you sound pretty chipper. I am afraid you will feel worse tomorrow. But I hope you give Tommy merry hell for it. It's one thing to be a big baby and scream and fuss about cutlery and plates, but it's quite another when it's a loose threshold strip that is a tripping hazard! Safety comes before any ridiculous posturing on his part. He needs a clue-by-four upside the head for this one.

    Well, Thanksgiving seems to be going to hell in a handbasket around here. DH developed aches and a fever this evening and went to bed early.

    And I will be sipping mashed cauliflower & gravy through a straw tomorrow because I lost a crown on a molar--exactly opposite the one I popped off about a month ago on a Tootsie roll midge. This time it was a chocolate chip. WTH?!? I am pretty concerned about this particular molar as I have had 2 root canals on it already. And 2 crowns popped in 1 month? I swear I am not snacking on gravel!

    I need some answers on why they are coming off. I had one crown put on when I was 20 and it's still there--no issues in over 30 years! Dr. Toothy better have some good answers on why his work isn't lasting like it should...

    Man! When it rains, it pours! Well, Happy Thanksgiving anyway, I guess! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I wanted to sleep for three hours but only managed one hour. Then, I could not rise from the commode because of the excruciating pain in my knee! That knee sort of collapses when I walk. This is not good. So, I will go to the doctor or tell his office what happened and try to get a quick appt with orthopedic doctor.
      Tommy has not uttered one word about he is sorry, what happened, or how am I. He is cold as ice. When I yelled at him about his nonreaction, five hours later he said he is in shock. No concern for me.
      Two boiled eggs were my dinner along with milk.
      Thanksgiving at your house sounds difficult. I feel for you worse than husband...lol.
      Something is not right with the crowns. I can see the tootsie roll but a chocolate chip?
      Maybe you can just watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade instead of eating. Hope your husband gets better soon.

      Delete
  4. I know you said I was preaching to the choir, but the lack of lights, small fixes of tripping hazards, cleanliness etc. are all major concerns with people with limited mobility. Would he have felt differently had he fallen and then be unable to get around? How would he manage without a care giver as you certainly can't help with physical stuff. I'm glad your going to the doctor. Cracked bones and bruising are nothing to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      He won't listen to me. I am going to find someone to fix that loose screw and strip and he can pay for it! I had told him that one of us was going to fall. I asked him yesterday if he were glad it was me. I am still furious!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you're feeling better today. I love croissant sandwiches. I like to make some with the Sams rotisserie chicken. Happy Thanksgiving to you & Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      Thanks. Some better. I always think the croissant is too thick. But, I love the croissant. I would happily eat a croissant sandwich with chicken or turkey, slice of salad. I am not cooking so that makes me happy. I hope your Thanksgiving is great.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you didn't injure yourself too bad and YES Tommy DOES need to get that fixed. I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Thanks. In a way I am better, but it lingers. I will find someone and he will pay for it.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...