Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Accounting and Cutting Back

 One of my Christmas cards arrived ripped and in a plastic bag from the PO. It was a beautiful card, covered in gold glitter. One corner of envelope and card was missing. Jan, it is a beautiful card. This is only the second piece of mail I have ever received packaged after it was mangled. Thanks, Jan and PO. Have you gotten mangled mail saved by PO and in a package with an apology? 

When Tommy opened one of his cc bills, he told me how much we put on the card the month before, November. He was not complaining, but his tone was one of surprise, complaint and consternation. 

I suggested he write down the categories and amounts to see what was driving the increase this last month so we could see what was happening, and where we need to cut back. He said that was too much trouble, so I said to give it to me and I would do it for him. The first thing I know he is writing like mad. He said he was writing it all down in categories--Amazon, gas, eating out, Publix, other grocery stores in one category, etc. He pointed out the excesses in eating out--1xWhataburger, 2x Chicken Salad Chick, and 1vSlim Chicken. He went over the other categories, too. I never want to give up CSC! I forgot the other categories he called out to me. He uses this card for points and convenience and pays it off each month with no penalties. 

Next step: I will get one of those books with green pages to record it all instead of his writing on every envelope and searching for the last month record. I have no idea how these books work, but maybe I can find someone to show me.

We will not be cutting back on gas, but we can rein in food shopping just a bit. However, buying fresh fruit and vegetables, a2milk, and loss leaders probably will never be cut down. If he could eat a sandwich from home when out, we could cut out more eating out.  Actually, we have not been inside a restaurant since early 2019! 

This is the first time he has ever told me what he has spent on his cc. I never ask. It is his bill, but we both share what we have spent and really have no secrets about anything financial. 

All the gifts are wrapped, not that there were many. The sausage balls will be made today. Decluttering continues. Dishwasher needs to be loaded. Acessories need to be hand-washed. Decluttering continues. Life goes on. We listen to Christmas music. Tree needs to be fluffed and decorated. I have not had breakfast and it is noon. Decluttering continues. Ham needs to be sliced and portions frozen. Bathroom rugs--wash. Then, kitchen linens--wash. 

Tommy is amazing! Since the cleaner came and we are having company, he is going about and doing things he declared for three years did not need to be done. Once, I remarked I would scrub out the Harvest Gold wastepaper basket in the bathroom. 

He blew up and said it did not need to be cleaned, that he had never washed out a wastepaper basket, ever! And, he said I was not allowed to clean it either. So, he had had that plastic, ugly, broken container since before he moved her in 1980 and has never washed it. ewww! I bought a new, white one last month, and he scrubbed it before we are having company! And, he put a plastic bag in it. I am still trying to recover from this development. There are other equally startling things happening with him...lol. It's a Christmas Miracle!

So, we are plugging along with decluttering.

Almost 7 pm now, and I just put the two turkey breasts in the oven. That is not dinner, but it's meat for the freezer, plus some for eating now. He is washing the sink after turkey breast and juices in the sink. 

He fluffed the tree while I took a nap today. But, the two tiny bins with the ornaments are nowhere to be seen. Maybe we will only have lights this year. 

I called our one and only guest just now. It's on! Tomorrow night, she will be here with bells on. 

If I seem to disappear, my computer has been making a horrible noise, like a death rattle.

Have you ever gotten a letter or package from the PO that is mangled, partially missing and repackaged with an apology from the PO?

14 comments:

  1. Just so you know it is your fault that I will making sausage balls tomorrow, all your talk have given me a craving. I also picked up some fresh mushrooms and green onions. My MIL always made a christmas breakfast with suasage balls, a yummy casserole of layered mushrooms, green onions, cheese and cream of mushroom soup. They will also be biscuits with cinnamon butter. Of course, I have all those eggs I got cheap!

    I miss those days so I decided to return to traditons! I did pick up another ham for .97lb so I will be doing the same getting it ready for the freezer.

    It is not uncommon for a letter to be damaged going thru the sorting equipment. I was married to a mail man. I hate to say it but there are some in the industry that will do it on purpose looking for gift cards they can steal expecially at christmas time from christmas cards.

    Have a great party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I am laughing. So, I am guilty sue me. Enjoy the sausage balls! You will thank me later.

      Tommy has not made one slice. He procrastinated and we are hustling to get everything done. AND, he got into the pretty lettuce for sandwiches and the tray.

      This card and envelope look like they got stuck in some machinery. And, it was a beautiful card. To make matters worse, I tore the card trying to get it out. The machine had sealed the cut place together. That is why I just send a Christmas card to grandchildren, and give them an e-gift card from Amazon--nothing to steal from the mail.

      Delete
  2. Miracles do happen! Maybe he is slowly seeing what life CAN be after things are cleaned up some. Glad it is happening.
    I have received a piece of mail only a couple times in a baggy. It is amazing it doesn't happen more often considering the volume of mail out there.
    Hope your computer doesn't die. I just went through that.
    Have a nice time with your friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      One year, there was a problem with machines somewhere crushing packages. When I went to the PO, I asked if they had a machine to crush my packages i was leaving. The guy, knew me and said, "No, but we will send it to a place that does."
      I have no idea what that noise was, but i am leery. We plan a good time. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Sausage balls???? I will have to look up recipes! Yes, I have received mangled mail accompanied by a note of apology.

    Regarding cc - I am guilty of overspending recently, but I think it has been more emotional spending. My Amazon cc is getting frequent use. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      The recipe that calls for three cups of Bisquick makes a floury, nasty ball. Use less Bisquick! I think 3 cups of Bisquick might be too much. Plus, commentors think so, too. recipe--1 lb sausage, on brick of cheese--8 oz, and maybe 1.5 cups of Bisquick. I lost "my" recipe, but I do believe this is what I used.
      Emotional spending is sometimes my problem, too. You deserve to be given a break. Tommy does not use my Amazon cc, but i use his cc. Seems fair, right?

      Delete
  4. Did my card reach you? In hindsight, it was glittery and maybe made a mess so sorry, but I was thinking how festive it was. It seems like everyone's looking at budgets. I plan a few more donations before year end. January is going to be a tough month for many. I'll spend less on things for our family on wants so I can give a bit more where needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Yes, it did reach me, and was not the mangled one! It was pretty and very festive. Thanks. Tommy has never, not once, mentioned that we spent too much. But, the eating out at expensive places and five turkey breasts and a ham may have gotten his attention. I am fretting because we cannot get to the fast food person to give her money.

      Delete
  5. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I just made the cherry hand pies for my husband. (was supposed to be for his BD) Anyhow, they are done and are a bit pathetic looking. Don't know how they taste as he will try them when he gets home from work.
    I have made corn muffins to have with the turkey soup that finally got made this past week. Next is banana bread so that I can bring a couple of the small loaves with a big chunk of Irish butter, to my dad. He doesn't want gifts, but he does enjoy snacking some evenings and likes the bread for something different. If I'm lucky, I will also be able to bring him a piece of apple pie. We are expecting some rough and very cold weather, but s/b better by Sunday.
    I hope your computer is okay, but just in case something were to happen, I would like to wish you and Tommy a Merry Christmas. (I continue to be amazed at the surprising things Tommy does.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      Things happen. I am quite sure he will like them. I would rather have sad looking food than bad tasting or not amazing foor!
      You have really been baking lots. My father got a present even though he said people should not buy him gifts. But, he did like my chocolate pound cake, so I baked that for him at Christmas or whenever we got to visit. He hated sweet things and hated frosting.
      The laptop seems to be okay, but this morning I would not have bet on it. Thank you and Merry Christmas to you. He does surprise me.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I have received mangled mail from PO, but it was always when someone sent me those musical cards from abroad. I actually prefer to use cash, because it's much easier to track my spending that way. I withdraw a certain amount at the beginning of the month and keep track of the balance as I use it. I mainly use my CC for Sams (self checkout is Card only), gas and online purchases and pay it in full every month. We're definitely cutting down on eating out/fast food. It makes a huge difference. We do still splurge, but not as frequently as we used to.

    You've been really excited about the dinner party. I hope you all have a wonderful time! Merry Christmas to you & Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MsGoose,
    I imagine the musical cards are hard for the machines to handle. We really do need to cut down on fast food, especially when I offer to make a sandwich and we have good things he likes.

    Merry Christmas, Ms Goose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, Do you keep up with the maintenance on your computer? By this I mean do you stay on top of the software updates? Do you clean up your internet history cache and use the disk cleanup tool? When my computer starts acting wonky I clean my interned history then use the disk cleanup tool. Most of the time this sets things to right. I am not good at shutting my computer all the way down. It is old and when I shut it off it takes FOREVER to open back up. I usually just put it to sleep. I need to shut it down and allow it to reset itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I am not good at that, but have someone I can call to guide me. I can no longer turn it off since something went missing on the screen. Thanks. I should do better.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...