Saturday, December 31, 2022

New Year's Eve

 We went out briefly Saturday midday and came right back to a nap...lol. Well, he watched football. One item needs more documentation, so no return there. I will fix it. I managed to get the cups we desperately need so that we don't have to wash a million glasses. I also bought a red bin, large one, for Christmas decorations. I found a box of nasty butter cookies in a pretty tin. After paying for the cookies, I dumped them all but six into a bag and gave them to the two children behind me. The tin had Santa on it and was cheaper than a tin at a yard sale. We replaced the lamp with another floor lamp. Done! 

At Publix, I returned the stemless wine glasses. They had huge bottoms, no roundness at all. They are ugly and hard to hold. The three coupons I needed to use on last night's purchase gave me cash back. Altogether, I was ahead $10 and used all but $1.11 on purchases. 

I found a Moscow Mule mug and got it, beautiful red with a painted-on white tree. I had a Santa mug for 50 years that I put candy canes in at Christmas. So, the red or green mug will work. Plus, I got cookie cutters. I had to buy three to get the star cookie cutter I wanted.

We dropped off red rice and two packages of Hamburger Helper to Lynda. I hate HH. 

NYE fare is decided--leftover taco soup, sausage balls, Ruffles and dip, regular grape juice in our 7-Up. Tommy says he does not like Ruffles, but I know he will have some. I asked what kind he wanted and he would not say, so it is done.  

At one place, I saw a Party in a Box but did not stop to examine. Great idea. Of course, decorating for NYE has never been a thing I do. 

Oh, I forgot to tell you. At the last doctor's appointment, I had lost five pounds. I don't know if it was different scales or what, but I had been cutting back a bit since the previous appointment since I was horrified at my weight.

A memory: One NYE, I went to a party where the doors were open, we wandered in the garden in party clothes. The host had built a fire that was driving us all outdoors! It was so warm that I wore a sleeveless, sheer outfit and needed not even a sweater. It was wonderful. The host was a musician. One room had a piano in the corner and about 30 instruments on the wall that anyone was welcome to use at the party. One man in the garden had a flute. I commented that he had gotten attached and must be planning to play again that evening. He said it was his own instrument, that many of the people at the party were members of some orchestra from NYC that was playing somewhere in Birmingham. It was a memorable evening. I even drove people to another party because I did not drink. 

What is on the agenda for NYE at your house? Of course, I will have no problem staying up until midnight. The day was pretty, clear and warm, in mid 60Fs, so I am sure people will be out tonight. I just hope no shooting is involved in celebrating. A child was killed in her bed in her home last week. The tragic, random shootings must stop. I digress.

Are you going out? Staying in? Having company? Treats? Staying up late? Having fireworks? Found any more markdowns? 

Do you have any special traditions for NYE?

When do you take down Christmas tree and decorations? Mine will come down Jan 1st. 

Happy New Year! 



11 comments:

  1. We have a tradition of having a fancy appetizer dinner (eating appetizers on our fancy china we got for our wedding). Then we play Scrabble, watch football and wait for the ball to drop at midnight. We just stay home for NYE as there are too many people drinking and driving out there. We took down our Christmas decorations yesterday and today. It is all down and put away. I like to have it done before the 1st to start the new year with a clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      That is a nice tradition. Eating off the fancy plates makes it an occasion. Yes, it is too dangerous out there. Have fun with your games.

      Delete
  2. Good evening
    We had an early restaurant supper and are staying in.
    Christmas decorations were packed away several days ago.
    I think my commenting problem is solved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      I am glad you got the commenting problem solved. I cannot comment on any wordpress blog and I hate it. Everything but the 3 ft tree is down and out of living room. I will pack them away slowly. Staying is certainly best for us. Happy New Year

      Delete
  3. I haven't gone out or entertained on NYE for decades. I can't even remember the last time I stayed up to watch the ball drop. It's not that I'm afraid of the drunk drivers, I just don't like crowds, noise, or over-priced food and beverages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I only went to parties at someone's house, so max 50 people, so no crowds, noise, and food was potluck. However, I do stay up for ball drop and beyond.

      Delete
  4. I used to like to go out with some of my friends to a local Mexican restaurant/lounge/bar. I enjoy Mexican music and I used to enjoy dancing to it. I would have my Michelob Ultra Light beer and a bit later a bottle of water and that was it for me for the night. One night I thought it would be a good idea to drive one of my friends home as they had too much to drink and drive. Mistake. The whole drive they were looking greener and greener around the gills, and I was afraid they were going to hurl in my car. Thank God they got out of the car just in time. Never again. I made it my business to be heading home from then on at least a half hour before closing time, sometimes earlier, because I wasn't cleaning up after somebody being sick in my car, and I didn't want to be asked to give anyone a drive home.

    I never did go out on New Year's Eve. To many crazy acting people, crowds and drunks. All things I don't enjoy.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I never did learn Mexican dances. Sounds like fun. I don't like being around drunks. And, I am always going in the opposite direction if a drunk wants a drive. Someone would pay for a professional cleaning of my car if he or she threw up. Yuck! Imagine the stench.
      Never did I go out to a public place on NYE, just to friends' homes. Only one time did a guy get drunk and abusive and loud to his girlfriend. The host shut that down and got him out the door, so we heard or saw little of drunken behavior.
      Well, it is 2023!

      Delete
  5. We don't go out on NYE. I don't want to be out, and drinking until I black out holds no charms for me anymore. LOL! We ordered Chinese takeout and watched "Lord of the Rings," I made it to 12:30, long enough to hear fireworks in the 'hood.

    I used to feel sad at the end of the year, feeling like it was nothing but an accounting of all the things I had done badly or wrong during the year, and what a failure I was.

    I don't know why or how it changed, but I don't feel that way anymore. I feel good about what I've managed to accomplish, and I feel hopeful about the future. I'm glad my outlook has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Drinking until blacking out never held any charm for me. I just need more sleep now. That sounds like a good NYE to me with takeout and a good movie.

      That is sad you felt sad. I never felt like a failure or held any accounting at the end of the year. I am glad that has changed for you.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...