Sunday, December 11, 2022

Party Time

Once I awoke and waited for Tommy to wake up, we watched Meet the Press. Then, I put together the two Red Kiss candy dishes. It was a chore, batteries installed and the tension of wondering if the lights and remotes would work. Both worked. Once I had the fairy lights unrolled, I had to wad them up and stuff them into the kiss. I then put a handful of Hershey's kisses on top of the lights and battery. Of course, putting the glass candy dishes back in their packaging was another little chore. Finally, I finished. Now, I need to wrap them.

Since I don't want to use plastic for our little party, I need glasses. Tommy's smoke glasses are ugly. I bought two glasses for us to use with a Christmas dinner but he pouted all Christmas and would not even open his eyes or eat. So, I only have two, anyway. I can get another glass and use mismatched glasses, like that would even matter. 

But, I have another vision for glasses--stemless wine glasses. We don't need vessels for ice tea with a meal. Lynda loves sweetened iced tea. I have a $23 refund from Walgreen's, so maybe they have cheap stemless wine glasses there and I won't have to spend money. 

Of course, I can have ice with my huge-cube ice cube trays. I still haven't polished my silver dish I can use. 

No, I don't know when this will all happen. 

So, these are my plans and thoughts. 

Do you like planning special occasions, get-togethers?

Am I missing anything? 

There are disposable hand towels in the bathroom in a tray/dish with a candle. It is an electric votive and a pretty short dish/vase or something I found in his cabinet. I have two sets of three, pillar candles, battery operated. They flicker. 

If Tommy would agree to a place to hang a hand towel, I could use a cloth towel. But, since there is not one towel bar in the bathroom except one in the shower, I cannot just use a cloth towel! Since there are diseases going around, I suppose the disposable towels are better. 

I have a Fitz and Floyd small, oval, serving piece for sandwiches. I am thinking little ham sandwiches on Party Rye, cucumber sandwiches, and sausage balls. The glass serving dish shaped like a Christmas tree will have fruits and vegetables lined up across it in rows. That will work. I will use another of the Christmas saucers to serve cookies/sweets. And, there is a Christmas bowl for halos.

Our drink will definitely be non-alcoholic. When in one store looking for a muscadine juice which Lynda loves, I happened to see a bottle of blackberry wine--Mogen David. I think that is a step above Ripple, but it looked and sounded great. I think I could smell blackberries, maybe not. 

While in Publix, I saw a tray of 12 Christmas petit fours. I loved them and wanted them. Then I saw the price and changed my mind--$17.94. Never mind! The boxes of Christmas cookies look and taste gross. 

I wish I had my blow mold Santa, about 4 feet high and very old. Also, after many years I scored a Coca Cola cardboard Santa, life-size, of course. Yes, I would put both in here, right in the living room. The blow mold has a light bulb in it, so there is no need for another light...lol...in the whole house! 

I have a Christmas cd. I don't have anything else and don't want to depend on the radio...lol. Oooh, forgot that I have set of Christmas silverware. 

I have finally gotten everything worked out. All I need is to get the tree up. That will be about 30 minutes since it is only 3 feet high. I only need the glasses or one more glass so we will all three have a glass instead of a plastic solo cup. 

Great parties are my thing. All my entertaining supplies are either piled in a box or in the dump. So, this is starting over! This has been lots of thinking! It is not like I can just reach into a drawer or cabinet and get things out that I need. 

12 comments:

  1. When Mother was alive she always had petit fours for me at Christmas time. I miss them and her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I miss my mother and things only she did for me. Now, I am crying. It won't be the same, but you can petit fours by buying them. Then, you can cry, too.

      Delete
  2. You are planning a terrific party. You're more than making do,but making nice memories. When will the party be? Do you have your taste back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AM,
      We only have one guest, but it will be fun and festive. I never lost my sense of taste. Things tasted but with a strangeness. And,no, we have not had Thanksgiving yet. I have not decided the date.

      Delete
  3. Sounds nice. You do know Mogan David is alcohol? Just not hard liquor. I like a nice glass of wine now and then.
    When is your big party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I do know Mogen David is alcohol, wine. It is just cheap wine. This party will only have one guest, Lynda. I am having bit of everything to make it seem more festive for all of us. Yes, it is a big deal for me since I have not had a party or any company since mid 2019.

      Delete
  4. Have a great time at your party!
    I have several sets of fairy lights in and around various things in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      We certainly are going to give it a good shot! I love fairy lights.

      Delete
  5. I admire the effort you are going to in order to create a festive atmosphere for your party! Lynda will feel like a very special guest.

    Your menu sounds very good. Will there be dip for the veggies? I might add a wedge of Jarlsberg and a cracker, but that is because I could live off cheese & crackers if I had no conscience.

    I try to make sure that I can repurpose leftover appetizers into meals. For ex., a veggie tray always ends up in a pot of soup! LOL.

    Petit fours are a tremendous amount of work and a pain in the arse to make. So I'm not surprised by the exhorbitant price. I would sooner serve French macarons for a special sweet. Or just buy a box of cake mix and turn it into cookies. Easy peasy!

    You have done well in planning! I need to follow your lead and get my Christmas Week planned as well. DD will be home and I need to have the menus for every day planned and shopped, so I spend less time cooking and more time just enjoying the family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we all enjoy the event...sounds important to call it an event!
      Cheese and crackers are on the menu, maybe! I have four or five goat cheese with add-ins that will make an appearance if I can find a little spreader. I had plenty at my house. There may be a few in storage, but who knows where?
      The leftovers may just be a snacky lunch the next day. And, I won't be cooking. I will even direct Tommy in mixing sausage balls! He can put on gloves and get his hands in it if I don't. He loves sausage balls, so it won't be hard.
      Cake mix cookies is COOKING. NO! lol, not cooking.
      I have seen demonstrations about making petit fours, so I am sure they are worth it, but not for me now.
      Time is getting short for both of us.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like it will be a wonderful party. I'm sure Lynda (and Tommy!) will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I hope it is fun. Fun for me right now is easy. Fun for Tommy is party food. Lynda is lots of fun.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...