Saturday, December 10, 2022

Turkey Breasts and Yard Sale Treasure




 At 8 am Saturday morning, I called Publix. The meat guy went to check. He said he got two for me. Later, but really early, like 10 am, I went and collected my turkey breasts. Both were a bit over six pounds, $9.16 and $8.52. That is not bad for those huge hunks of meat. 

But, they were strange. Turkey breasts are rounded all over. The has twoprotuberances, one on each side. I asked the guy why those things were sticking out. He said they were bones. I was skeptical and told him a turkey breast won't have a bone there. He said it was probably wings. I am going to be fit to be tied if I bought wings. 

We decided to air up one of my tires. The car would not start. So, Tommy had to use our handy-dandy car charger and it started. Then, I backed it out of the carport and he aired them up, all to different numbers--32 pounds for this tire, 34 pounds for that tire. It just makes me crazy. But, he said it won't matter. It appears sitting for so long and one tire only with 12 pounds did not make any of the tires get a flat spot. I imagine driving Michelin is why they held up nicely. 

I drove a little to keep in practice...lol. and decided to take it to the car wash. Well, there were about 12 people in line and I was not doing that wait. We will go tomorrow. 

Tommy pointed out a yard sale close to the house. We passed it several times before we stopped. There was furniture 6 feet high and massive. Behind it they put all the small stuff. We pulled into the driveway, and I decided there was nothing there for me. Then, I saw a tiny edge of something like a table, only I knew it was a Singer treadle. Yep. I bought it for $15. Since it was so cheap and she would deliver it, I offered to pay her five dollars to drive a mile to my house and put it in the carport. 

When we left, Tommy said, I thought you had sewing machines. I DEAL in sewing machines. I really only want this one for the iron bottom. I can sell the head to someone who wants to cannibalize it or to refurbish it. The wooden part, especially the drawers are good sellers for people who use them on shelves to store something also collectible. I might even make money on the deal. Now Tommy has to go out and cover it as even under the carport rain blows in. 

I have always wanted the iron stand from a Singer treadle to put a marble or wooden top on it. This would be pretty on a porch but would get really wet on Tommy's porch. However, it would be great anywhere. This is one of my dreams come true! I do have a Singer treadle older than this one, but I won't take it apart for a table. At one point, I used it in the den for my TV. 

The table at the head of the post is using the tabletop of the machine. So, that is an idea for a table kept indoors. I love it. 

We have a Christmas party to go to next Saturday. The weather will be great, but covid is on the rise everywhere, so I may opt to miss all the fun.

Dinner will be leftovers from Tommy's birthday meal--pork loin, potatoes, carrots, squash, zucchini, onions. I am so glad I don't have to cook! 

Are you missing parties to be safe? 

Do you use a Singer iron base for a table base?

Have you ever wanted this type table? 

 

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were successful for your turkey. You'll have to jet us know what the protuberances we're. I've never used nor heard that word before. As for the party, you should do as you are comfortable. I won't take foreseeable risks, but am to the point if I am healthy, I'll attend things, and stay home if not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      They breasts are thawing, so will be baked soon. I am surprised you never heard or used the word "protuberance" before. I am not worried about attending and infecting anyone. I am worried that I might catch one of the three things going around right now. I have heart disease and copd, so need to be careful. The place where I would be going is rife with Republicans and religious folk who don't think disease is any big deal if god sends it.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you finally got your turkey breasts. I'm not sure why wings are a problem? You can just throw them out if you don't want to pick the meat off.

    I have my grandmother's old Singer treadle. I have never wanted to take it apart and use it the iron for a table base, I've wanted to refurbish it and actually use it. It hasn't happened so far, so I don't know if it ever will.

    I think repurposing an old treadle base for other uses is fine, as long as it does not damage the working machine itself. My MIL actually ruined a perfectly good machine because she wanted the iron stand. That's unconscionable, IMO. But whatever.

    Tommy is ridiculous--of COURSE it matters how you inflate tires! You use the mfr's recommended pressure, or you get uneven wear on the treads and they won't last as long.

    Nice that you have a great meal to look forward to with no cooking! I have not cooked since my boosters on Friday. I woke up this morning finally feeling like I might be back to nornal today. I feel like cooking/baking, which is always a good sign. Gonna make a pot of soup for sure.

    Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue,
    I don't like paying for something that was not advertised and that I don't want. I know I can throw them away, but if those are wings, Tommy can take the meat off and eat it.
    This treadle may not work. It is not the one my mother gave me. I will sell the head and cabinet. The iron may be the only fit part. The cabinet was painted green and is peeling. I would never destroy a good machine.
    You know that the tire inflation matters and I know that. But, Tommy says I worry too much! Well, I drove one car for nineteen years while he had five or six. He bought junk, mistreated them, all in the name of economy. I finally picked out a car, he bought it, he still drives it.'
    I do believe the leftovers were better than the first night. And, best of all, there is another full meal waiting. I am glad you are feeling somewhat better. If you feel like baking, you are on the mend, I suppose. My reaction was a full 24 hours of thinking I might just go ahead and die!
    In a bit, I will put blackeyed peas in the crockpot and later will cook chicken breasts that are thawed. I will freeze all this breast meat for later meals. I bought chow chow for the peas a month or so ago, so I am eager for peas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably wings still attached. Glad you got your deal.
    I am not avoiding get togethers - most are family, so I am OK. Maybe if it was a big party of 'acquaintances' I might miss it. However, I still shop and do my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I was pleased to quit thinking about it and wondering if I would be too late again, they would even get more, try to get a cart, brave crowds...I was getting stressed out. This will be a small gathering of about 500 people. However, I will know at least half of them.

      Delete
  5. Glad you got in on those turkeys. I like the singer treadle table you found at the yard sale no I hope you make exactly what you want with it. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thanks, me too! Mine won't be at all like the one in the picture. I did buy it for the iron as the table is not in good condition, but not sure about the machine. I am happy!

      Delete
  6. We don't get invited to parties anymore, so we'll be safe by default.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alas no one invites me to parties so I am safe that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Occasionally, I get invited somewhere, but less lately.

      Delete
  8. We get invited to a lot less parties as well. I think it's a function of age and change. We used to have a close-knit neighborhood and there were lots of fun parties to attend. But now so many have moved or passed that there are only a few of us left. And maybe we're too tired/worried about Covid to host the "leftovers". LOL! Hard to tell.

    But it's no use fretting, so we don't. We carry on as best as we can, right? Every so often we seem to hit a "new normal" phase of life and the best thing to do is adapt and move along, and not mourn for the old times. I remember the past fondly, but I don't kid myself for a second that those were my best days. My best days are here and now, because I am around to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Parties were okay when younger, enough to keep me engaged. In my forties, I went to a lot of parties, mostly with professors at UAB. Well, their get-togethers led me to make other friends who what things happening. Then, it all slowed when I worked a hundred miles north of Birmingham. Then the two hosts of the two best parties/gatherings died! That killed many friends social lives. We were sad to lose friends and sad to lose much of our social life.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...