Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Returns and Recycling

 Monday night, I was so tired  that I went to bed at midnight. I slept well, waking at least five times to go to the bathroom, but went sound asleep after coming back to bed each time. I awoke about 8:30 am feeling like I had been beat up. However, we were out the door for chores by 10 or so.  That means I did get my required 7.5 hours of sleep. 

A call from my gastroenterologist was comforting. My liver enzymes are right. I got no report about spleen, pancreas, or gall bladder even though they were studied. I suppose that is good news. The liver is not in the best shape but no worse than five years ago. I have all the symptoms of gall bladder disease. Over my objections, I have had all sorts of tests, and nothing shows up. I do not encourage these tests. 

We had one thing to do in the morning and one thing in the afternoon. I took back a jacket of sweatsuit fabric and got the right size.  When I bought it, a woman was standing in front of the rack. Instead of asking her to move as she had offered, I asked her to hand me a certain size. She did and I left. Well, I put it on at home and it was tight. She had handed me a jacket two sizes too small.  Today, I could not find my size and just one a size larger. It may or may not work. I bought smaller stemless wine glasses.

We took the recycling to Publix--paper, plastic bags, plastic bottles. We will give soup/tuna cans to someone else to recycle and recycle coke type cans ourselves. I returned the larger wine glasses. 

I mailed a few cards yesterday and have one to mail right now. I no longer hold cards until I get them all ready for the mail, now trying to beat the rush of cards and packages as I can at least for a few of them. It is after 5 pm and dark, yet we have to get my med that I need for my heart health. So, I suppose we will go out again. 

Today has been chilly, dry and very dreary! But, it has not dampened my spirit. IT'S CHRISTMAS! I am not in a buying frenzy, cleaning frenzy, or cooking frenzy, just have heightened feelings right now. 

Today, I bought low carb bread that might help with weight loss or at least weight gain. A comment from another blogger made me think twice--she loves a sandwich for lunch. I do too. I don't need so many carbs since I have diabetes. 

Okay, I took a bite of the keto bread. It is the best I have tasted. I tasted two other keto breads in the past. Miracle Whip will jazz it up. This is from Sprouts--Live Carb Smart, only 1 net carb per slice. Is that good? 

We drove the few blocks in the neighborhood to find a pink bag of ads and coupons. See, we did little today. We did offer a ride to a woman on a bike with too many, too heavy boxes and bags. A woman who knows her stopped and with a car more suited to her load and she went with her. We did try. 

Tommy's flashlight and headlamp are on the way. Lynda's Kiss has fairy lights and Hershey's kisses in it and needs to be wrapped. My grandchildren will get Amazon e-gift cards. Things are coming along. A cash donation to one very worth person needs to be delivered. I am set! 

Tonight's dinner--chicken, green beans, slaw, leftover sweet potatoes. I will bake the whole green beans in the tasty juice from the pork loin. The sweet potatoes had cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in them, but NO sugar. Green beans were not cooked, so he ate chicken, sweet potatoes, and slaw. 

We have everything we need for any possibility, anything I might fancy to cook, bake. There may even be enough milk until after Christmas. The only thing I might hurry out to get is a loss leader that might disappear like the cheap turkey breasts did.

The Tabernacle Choir is wonderful tonight!

Tomorrow should be torrential rains, maybe flooding, and high winds. We will stay in! We do need to put a plastic over the sewing machine, but nothing else right now.

Are plans at your house better formulated? Is everything coming together for you? Do you have snow or rain?

9 comments:

  1. We had rain, wind, thunder and lightning. Then when I had just settled into bed at 5AM the tornado sirens when off. I hate that sound, it stopped and then resumed a few minutes later.

    There were touch downs all over the place, two were close, about 3 miles west, another 5 miles north. There is a lot of damage but not in my immediate area. That is life in tornado alley.

    I am all stocked up for the holidays. As I will be here alone, I have not decided what to cook. I may not really cook at all, just have a lot of snack things to graze all day LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Storms with tornadoes are not fun. I usually don't go to bed at night when tornadoes are expected. The siren for the whole county was right next to my house, and when anywhere in the county was in danger, we got to hear about it!
      Touchdowns were on the news. Frightening.
      Snacky grazing has the potential to be easy and fun.

      Delete
  2. I know you probably didn't mean it as humorous, but reading , "I was so tired that I went to bed at midnight" like that's an early bed time, made me smile. I'd be walking in my sleep if I stayed up until midnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Now, you have me laughing so hard at myself and what I wrote. Actually, that is an early bedtime for me. And, my bedtime has nothing to do with naps...lol.

      Delete
  3. chilly, dry and very dreary - like your men?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda! Glad you found a keto bread that you like! I think the bread will be more helpful for keeping your blood sugar from spiking than it will for weight management. I just had a lunch of a grilled brie with dijon and cranberry chutney. It wasn't as good as I hoped, but the bread added no carbs to the meal--which is important to me.

    If I can elimiinate the simple carbs from bread, I don't have to worry about the complex carbs from vegetables like peas, sweet potato, and winter squash. I do limit them, but I don't forbid myself.

    I do still have to stringently limit white potatoes, pasta and rice--Fortunately, I like riced/mashed cauliflower, so that takes care of the rice/mashed potatoes. There's no really good way around pasta, except for shiratake noodles, which, unless lengthily dry-sauteed, are a mediocre substitute. But when I am yearning for cold sesame noodles, I buy the shiratake noodles so I can have it. It's really all about that delightful sauce, anyway...

    To think that I used to gobble sweets unrestrainedly as a child. And eat slice after slice of buttered toast for breakfast and Miracle Whip on bread for lunch ("No baloney for that sandwich?" Mom would ask, to which I'd vehemently shake my head NO!).

    Mom always warned me that my terrible eating habits would catch up to me sooner or later. To that admonition, I would simple rip open another candy wrapper or pop another slice of toast in and smugly smile at her.

    Yes, she certainly got the last laugh... I admitted it to her and she simply snorted and replied, "Well, OF COURSE I was right!! Why did you expect otherwise?!" Gotta love my mom--she's such a smartass. And yet she can't figure out where *I* get it from! LOTHFLMAO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Blood sugar control is the point of the keto bread. But, fewer carbs should help weight.
      I remember when I was about 15, I ate 7 tomato sandwiches at one sitting. I would toast the bread, put MW on both sides and slice tomatoes and eat. I rarely had sweets. I was always hungry...lol.
      We ate vegetables in abundance.
      If potatoes are cooked, cooled in refrigerator, then slightly heated, blood sugar does not rise. Look it up. Potato salad is perfect for keeping blood sugar from rising..lol.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...