Thursday, December 15, 2022

Wednesday Night and Thursday

 Wednesday night, we had a different dinner. I had two pounds of fresh green beans that needed to be eaten. Plus, I had a few potatoes left and a dish of the juices of the applewood pork loin. Then, I had a meat that felt all frozen from the freezer. It was pork rib tips. I could not figure that out. But, when we were eating, I figured that is was the end pieces of a rack of ribs, little strips of meat with 1/2 inch tiny, round bones. 

So, frozen pork rib tips, green beans, potatoes went into a cooking bag along with the juices of the seasoned pork loin. It was one of the best dinners we have had in a long time. The skinny strips of meat with rib bones were the strangest cut of meat I ever saw. Have you bought or eaten this? 

I finally calmed down after finding a stranger had given my telephone number to another stranger to me and to her. And, she had posted my number on fb.

Wednesday night, Tommy started digging around in one of the spare bedrooms in order to put his crap he keeps in the floor in the living room into that room and out of the living room floor. Well, that will jumble things I know the locations. Plus, he took boxes out to throw away. Nope, those are for books. He found the box for the air fryer and got the fryer from the kitchen to put in the box. I give up! It will go on the curb for free. I spent a lot of money on it, and he broke the latch after the second use, so the door won't close. 

I tried the keto bread twice today. It is awful with pbj as the bread seems gummy and hard to chew. With cheese the bread was great. I will go back to using Smucker's  Natural pb and use half as much jelly, just a smear. I eat my potatoes almost cold in order to accommodate diabetes. 

Tommy is destroying the vac I bought for him. He will not empty the HEPA filter. He said it does not matter. Now, the huge wads of dust sit outside the filter cup. The HEPA filter serves a purpose--to keep the air exiting the vac from having particles that will bother me. I have no idea how long it will take the extra wads of dirt to kill the motor. He uses his reacher to pick up particles from the carpet, says the carpet is clean so no need to run the vacuum. Heaven help me! He did not change the furnace filter for over a year to save on filters. 

The only thing I need to buy for the tiny party is grapes and cherries. I will make the dip, put out goat cheese and crackers, make sausage balls. The rest is just arranging food. 

As I explained how he will mix sausage balls, Tommy looked appalled. He will have gloves on to squeeze sausage...lol. He did not realize how this was done. And, I would put gloves on, too. I never had rubber gloves to wear when I made these years ago.

I bought another basil plant. The leaves from the other were not as fragrant as they were when I bought it. I need to breathe the fragrance as ears and sinuses are becoming congested. 

Wednesday night, I ordered a tiny vacuum, about the size of a curling iron to get up bits, tiny particles. I hope it does what I need it to do. Surprisingly, it has a HEPA filter if I read correctly. It is very lightweight.

Wednesday night, at 7:30, the temperature was 59F, nice. 

The Christmas Party for seniors is coming up, but I think I am too tired! Last year, there were 800 seniors in attendance. 

You know I love bologna. I do and eat little. The last time I bought it, last week, the texture was off, and this was my favorite brand. I called and complained, inquiring as to the problem. As I tried to describe the texture, the guy said, "I know exactly what you mean." I asked if others had complained. "A few."  I took that terse, flat answer to mean quite a few. He said that the problem has been solved at the plant and he would give me a refund check. Okay. Good deal. 

Then, I called my favorite bakery about my favorite bread being scorched tasting. The young woman was rude, like I was lying, raising her voice. So, I raised my voice, too which hurt her feelings. I asked for her supervisor, and she had her call me back. I explained I did get loud but only after she insinuated I was lying, got loud with me, and continued her accusation over and over. Gee! Now, I will get a coupon for two loaves of bread. No, I did not go off into a lengthy maniacal rant. But, I do not suffer fools lightly! Her tone, phrasing, and voice insulted me and implied she did not believe me. The first thing I said was that I bought two loaves of bread. She then said repeatedly I only said one in the beginning. They have the conversation taped, so the supervisor can hear it all. 

That three-minute phone call turned sour quickly. I am getting coupons for bread! It was not so much getting another loaf of bread, just her yelling at me, calling me a liar, and being so obnoxious. Have you ever seen anyone argue by repeating the same phrase over and over like--I told you so, I told you so, I told you so! ??? Their intent is to drown out anything you say so that you give up and give in. ???

Tommy put the air fryer in its original box on the lawn and we left for about an hour and fifteen minutes. It was gone when we returned. I hated to give it away. I really wanted an airfryer, and it worked well but the door would not stay closed. But, it was on the counter, using real estate and not working! Plus, it was a constant disappointment and longing for me. I really want an Emeril Lagasse air fryer, but I want him too, to put food in there. 

We gave away a box of food we cannot use, won't eat, or whatever. I love dried beans, but we had too many. 

Gas is $2.62 here in Alabama. 

I took six D batteries to a battery store to recycle.

The Singer treadle machine is class model #66, quantity manufactured-- 35,000, Jan. 2, 1929. So, now we know. I wish I knew the story of the woman who bought it and all the women who sewed on it. 

Wednesday and Thursday, we watched A Christmal Carol with Jim Carrey and tonight with Patrick Stewart. I hope the one with Kelsey Grammer is shown soon. 

Thursday Dinner is leftovers--roast chicken, slaw, potatoes, green beans. 

There is not much happening here...lol. The house is rid of the clutter of six batteries, one air fryer, and 20lbs of beans. I count that a good declutter day. And, it was a sunny day in the 50s. 

How has your day gone? Do you enjoy watching different iterations of The Christmas Carol?





13 comments:

  1. I took a few days off, so today I declared it a mental health day. I listened to podcasts all day. I didn't even put up my bed (I sleep on a futon bed). It was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      A few days off and doing as you please sounds very good indeed. It sounds like a great day! Good for you.

      Delete
  2. I love how you always come up with delicious sounding meals from the food you have. I've never tried an air fryer, I resisted, telling myself I do not need yet another appliance taking up room in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Thanks! I try to eat what is here and not prepare more. I was secuced into buying it. I never regretted it until it did not work after second use! Other than a stove with burners and oven, I only have microwave and crockpot.

      Delete
  3. I do like "A Christmas Carole" I watched the cartoon versions as a kid, and have watched the "Masterpiece Theatre" versions of it as an adult. The message is timeless.

    Last night I made some longed-for Ham & Cheese oven sliders with my Keto slider rolls. Heavens, they were tasty! They are just baked sandwiches, but the seasoned butter poured over makes them especially good. Everyone liked the carb-free slider rolls, and asked to have them again. Now I just have to be lucky enough enough to find them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      It is a timeless message and played out in great fashion each time.
      I want the recipe for these ham and cheese sliders. What brand slider rolls do you use? I have ham!

      Delete
    2. Linda, the only place I have ever found keto slider rolls is at Aldi's. They also have white and wheat keto bread loaves; the white is much better, IMHO.

      Here's the recipe I used:
      https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/ham-and-cheese-sliders/

      I like this recipe because it uses less butter than others. Much as I like butter, I think a whole stick for 12 sliders is excessive.

      Baked sliders can take any sort of substitution you throw at them, so if you don't have/like something, just leave it out. Or add in whatever you want. For example, I put a thin layer of mayo over the cut side of the bottom layer of rolls, because I felt they were a little dry and knew the butter would not reach that part.

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      Thanks for the recipe and tips. I had these once and loved them. I agree that is stick of butter is a little much for 12 sliders.

      Delete
  4. Our school classes watched old copies of A Christmas Some parts I liked but mostly it didn't send me, so I really don't watch now as an adult, though I know many people consider it a classic and always watch it.
    Your pork ribs with green beans and potatoes sounds delicious. It was just terrible windy and cold and cloudy of and on here today
    I got a chill from being out in that and the dentist's office being so cold, insanely cold.
    Boy that dentist's office was the worst ever. First I got a snippy reply from one of the office B's. I asked if the exit out the back way was for sure handicapped accessible to someone who can't use steps, not even a small one . "When we spoke on the phone I told you it was accessible. She smart mouthed back to me. I told her that I just wanted to be sure, before I went out that way. It was so far to the front door, I couldn't have done it after the dental surgery. When the dentist came in he didn't even introduce himself or ask me my name.
    It was weird. He was as cold as his office was. The chair they had was a miserable thing. I think it was broken, one couldn't put any weight the arms or they gave way. The sweet, kind, dental tech was as kind as she could be she temporarily fixed one of the chair arms.
    She told me that she gets so cold in there that she sometimes has to wear her heated coat. That dentist needs to go out of business. He got done, and zoomed out of the room. No good bye, call if there are any problems, it was good to meet you. Maybe he has some type of syndrome. I hope I can find a nicer dental surgeon next time, and I hope that sweet nurse named Angie gets to work with a dentist who is appreciative of her, and keeps it a comfortable enough that she won't have to wear a heated coat. That dentist needs to post a sign his door that mobility challenged people should turn around and go home, and find some other dental surgeon. I hope I can find a better dental surgeon next time. I don't like being pricked like that when I am handing over so much money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      Thanks. We enjoyed the rib tips.
      That was a terrible experience! I don't blame you for finding someone else. Could you get out the back? Were there steps? I went to an obygn oncologist. I asked was there a better way to get in to see him. He asked why, and I told him I could not walk. He pulled his little prissy self up to his 5'4" height and said with superiority, "I don't operate on people who can't walk." I determined never to see him again. I refused to talk to people in his office who called me.

      Delete
    2. Linda, you should have sent a clear message to his office people: "I won't see doctors who are assholes to people who can't walk well. Your boss is a complete jerk, and has Small Dog Syndrome."

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I told the doctor who sent me, and told the woman who called me to get me to return or tell the consequence of my treatment. The doctor to whom I was sent, worries about me getting on the ob exam table, helps me get feet in right place, asks me if I am okay during exam and is a real sweetheart, about 6'2" and cares so much he called me on a Saturday.

      Delete
  5. Linda, Those ribs are called FLANKEN RIBS. They are often served in Asian restaurants.

    What is a flanken rib?

    Also Known As: Beef Short Ribs, Bone-In; Cross-Cut Ribs; Cross-Cut Short Ribs; Korean Short Ribs. Cut thin across the ribs. Good marinated and grilled. Butcher's Note. Rather than being cut between the bones, Flanken Style Ribs are cut thin across the rib bones.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...