Saturday, January 7, 2023

Cooking and Laundry

Friday night, between 1:30 am and Saturday11 am, I managed to get up around dawn, get on the internet, and then go back to sleep, getting around 7 hours sleep. Yay me. The dog only yapped around 3 pm when I tried to rest. However, the dog only stressed me and did not make me lose sleep since I did not need or want a nap. 

The day has been low-key. We went to drop off things at Lynda's house, picked up meds for Tommy, and sat in the park a bit. He has washed a load that does not need drying and dried the bit that needs a dryer. Now, he put in a load that needs nothing to be dried in the dryer, just to hang in the house. 

Okay, he went outside in the dark and just came back with nothing. He forgot to turn on the dryer and the washer is slowly spinning. He probably just dumped the clothes in the washer and did not distribute the clothes in the washing machine. There was a blanket. 

I am seriously considering getting a clothes drying rack for the house. I am sick of hanging things in the doorways and then Tommy cannot go in that room, especially the room he cleaned out somewhat and where he now hangs clothes and puts them in a chest of drawers. He can get in, but too often he knocks my clothing down. I wish the clothesline here were in reach or I could walk better. 

At my house, the clothesline I put up was from the back corner of the house to a post near the fence. So, I could get there easily. And, things I dried in the house were not in anyone's way. 

I finally got the gumption to cook a bit. I put a five-pound pork loin in one cooking bag and a turkey breast in another bag, and in two different small pans, cooking them both in the oven at the same time. This saves two hours running the oven since they will use the same heat. 

Both are seasoned, but I forgot to put vegetables in the oven, too. Rats! I may put a sweet potato on foil and stick it in the oven, too. Plus a salad. 

So, we went to The Pig for slaw mix with only carrots and no red cabbage. When Tommy went in, I told him a red cabbage would be nice, too. He called me and had not looked for a red cabbage and asked me what kind of red cabbage I wanted. Then, he said, "A whole one, or what." I thought that was cute and laughed for a good ten minutes after I hung up. He told me he had never looked for or at a red cabbage, so he thought they might sell halves or something. Well, he is amused by some things I ask him.

When I went out shortly after the little bit of yapping I heard, one of the women was sitting in their carport. The dog was there but not making a sound. I suppose she does not want that noise disturbing her peace. At this point, the carport is full, the latest addition is a full bedroom of furniture. They keep adding stuff and never haul anything off! Before Christmas they dragged a huge pool to the curb and have now filled it with wood. I wonder how long this will go on. Dogs barking for hours is grating on the nerves whatever time of the day. The trash won't keep me awake. 

Dinner: bbq pork and slaw on bun. The house smells wonderful--pork and turkey.

If you dry clothes in the house, what system do you have or have you had? 

10 comments:

  1. Let's start with the dogs. You know I am a dog owner and lover but that is no excuse for letting your animals cause a problem for the neighbors. I let them out to potty, I know there will be a few barks but after that I make them come back in. They may not want to come in but if they can't behave that is what they get. I keep treats handy to get them to come in without a fuss.

    You need to have a neighborly conversation, they are disturbing you. Take a box of saltines or a carrots. (she can cut up the carrots into bite sized pieces), she can use those to get the dogs in. There after she can buy her own. Let her or them know you don't want to cause a problem but you will if necessary file a noise complaint. Same thing if a dog is loose, (at least here) you will get a lovely $200 fine. The neighbor behind me works nights and sleeps days. They also have a 1 year old baby. Two reasons, I keep my dogs under control.

    Next, I do not have a drying rack but as I live alone there is not to much laundry. Things I need to hang go on hangers in the showers I have available. You might need a rack but also consider where you would place it. I am not tight on space but I think you and Tommy might be. I wonder if you could find on of those clothes lines that attaches to the house that could be reeled in and out as needed.

    I miss back in the day that one of my grocery stores had an area for those that lived alone. You could just get a few green onions, a few sticks of celery, a few carrots a part of a cabbage, melon or lettuce. Sure made things better for those who live and cook for one.

    It can be hard as we get older. The world pays us no mind. What thing might be convenient to the older generation. We exist, a lot of us, why do they not apprieciate us and give up options we deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have reported them. But, first, we had a conversation. So, now we are going forward with our only options. We have room for a drying rack. We buy two pounds of carrots at a time, so not a problem. I could write a book on the last paragraph from experience, college classes, and books on the subject. YEP!

      Delete
    2. I find if I, we , don't self advocate for what we need, needs won't be met. It seems no one literally cares beyond what impacts them, and those that do, get branded bleeding heart liberals, comi's or other rude labels. Yes, the world keeps evolving and the old and the very young get the after thoughts.

      Delete
    3. SAM,
      I absolutely agree. I have been called a bleeding heart liberal.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a in-house drying system, but I will establish one when I get into my own place. I have several clothing items that should be air dried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      In this house, my in-house drying system is doorways. My house was larger and had larger and more doorways and laundry room where I could hang things! I hang all my clothing--outerwear, underwear. I dry sweaters flat.

      Delete
  3. I have a dryer but never use it - it must be about five years or so since I used it. So all my washing is dried on racks either in the spare bedroom or on the balcony in summer. It works perfectly for me. And over here they do indeed sell half cabbages. In fact that's what I buy because I don't need a whole one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      It would be wonderful to have a balcony for drying. It seems like selling half a cabbage is like selling half a tomato...lol. Well, I am surprised at that revelation. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  4. I don't put bras or panties in the dryer and drape them over the shelving above the washer and dryer. I also have a few hangers where I can hang items between the washer and dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I fondly remember having lots of hanging space in my laundry room! Nice! I fondly remember having a washer and dryer inside! And clean!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...