Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Forsythia and Shopping/Doctor

 

forsythia

On the way somewhere, I saw that forsythia bushes were blooming. This is a sure sign of spring. I just hope that the early warm spell is not fooling the bushes into blooming, only the destroy the sunny display. Forsythia is in the olive family, but, alas, no olives. 

Many years ago, I bought a tiny forsythia. It bloomed and grew, giving me immeasurable joy for several years. I wanted another to go with it. I waited until we had a soaking rain. Then, I went out and cut about a dozen of the long stems. The, about three feet from the first, I took the stems and poked them as far as I could into the soggy ground. Lo and behold, they all took. So, I had two forsythia bushes. My experiment worked! 

Daffodils were blooming at my house the middle of January. It is just too warm for flowers. Well, too early for them to bloom. However, I usually have daffodils around the first week of January and they live and rebloom the next year. 

Yesterday, last night, we decided to go the Cullman to AFC since my doctor cannot see me until late next week. And, the other places here are iffy as to treatment. In the middle of the night, I got up and decided to see what urgent care businesses were right near us. Well, there is one less than a mile away that had horrible reviews. I cannot endure a 4 hour wait. So, I ditched that idea. 

We went to Cullman and I saw a nurse practitioner. The whole experience was positive except for one woman who was a pain. Everyone else was super nice and some remembered me. I left after giving a specimen. And, I got a prescription. So, I will start it and wait for the incubating specimen to reveal what kind of bacteria is hurting me. I had been told the front of the card worked and, surprisingly, it did. So, I had no problem at AFC with my bill. Only the back of the card is wrong. 

I used the rest of the UHC $150. allowance for otc and healthy food. I had $35.12 left to spend and $1.11 on a Publix card for a return. 

White grapes

quart of strawberries

3 red delicious apples

clamshell of Romaine

2 pints grape tomatoes

2 lbs. carrots

5 lbs russet potatoes 

2 bananas (I had 2 at home)

small bowl of watermelon (to eat on the way home)

2 Stovetop Stuffings

Tinactin foot spray

Bottle of Dasani (because I dropped my lid on the floor in the doctor's office and I was not going to use the lid again. I was not going to try to keep from spilling water. So, I wasted it and bought one bottle.)

I have not had white/green grapes in ages. I just buy red for Tommy. Everything else will be eaten or it will last. None of it except for tomatoes and lettuce will be in danger. But, we will make sure nothing goes to waste. 

Since Tommy and I did not keep up with the total well, we got more than we had "money" on the card. My total was $13.41, Over $4 of which was tax. We had the opportunity to put some of the food back but chose to pay for it. Another benefit was that I got rid of the Publix card since those cards do get bulky in a tiny purse. 

Overall, it was a good day, but it ended up cold and rainy. I have meds, lots of fresh food, and feel hopeful that I will get better. We will have a salad with chicken, tomatoes, and cheese, and dressing. Tommy will not want cheese. 

It is cold here. Tomorrow, I will make soup with vegetables and hamburger meat I have thawing--1lb of ground beef, carrots, potatoes, corn, green beans, tomato sauce and tomato bits or whole, celery, onions, bell pepper, lima beans. Part of the ground beef I cook will be saved for the Kraft spaghetti kit. Since I am using the crockpot for the soup, it may not hold all the cans I want to put into it. I will only put two small potatoes diced small. Then, I may not put the whole can of vegetables into the pot, saving them for another meal later. Pepper, savory, and a bay leaf will be added. Of course, I will take the bay leaf out after cooking. 

I cannot wait until dinner on Thursday. I have not had this soup for several years. I don't know why. 

How was your day? Cold like mine? What are you having for dinner? Got any soup plans for the rest of the week?


12 comments:

  1. I have everything I need to make a good pot of soup, I just don't have the energy to peel, chop, the veggies. I started some new medicine that is really helping with my pain but I am still getting used to it. It is a heavy duty muscle relaxer to be taken 3 times a day. I am happy for the pain relief but it has really has made me feel woozy. Tonight I just had leftover baked chicken breast and little red potatoes. I will probaby have a couple of cookies and a glass of milk before bed.

    I am glad to hear you got to the doctor. If they put you on antibiotics that will clear it up in a few days. Did not leave the house today, heck, I did even get dressed. The grandson is coming over tomorrow night while his folks have date night. We will just order a pizza and watch TV, that is what he usually wants. I am only here to spoil!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can still drive but I was warned the medication could make me drowsy, dizzy until my body gets used to it. I have not been out since I started it. I will not drive until I feel I can do it safely. I am also lucky that any place I need to go is a mile or less from the house. I am also set up with Walmart plus for grocery delivery if needed.

    It is a blessing for both of you, to be able to help each other do all the every day tasks. There are days I wish I was not doing it all alone but it is what it is. I always have something in the freezer or something quick and easy for a meal. There are some that don't even have food so I am not about to complain, I never go hungry or without.

    Take the medicine, drink lots of water and I am sure you will feel better in a couple of days. Remember to keep taking the medicine until it is gone, so often people will stop when they feel better so the infection is never truly gone. Then you have to start all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I am glad you are not taking any chances driving. I never get over being woozy with meds.
      Oh, I will take it all. I am drowning in the water I am drinking!

      Delete
  3. Your soup sounds delicious. I’m glad you were able to get some good food with what was left on your card. My Mother had a forsythia bush that was beautiful when fully bloomed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belinda,
    Thanks. I am getting hungry for it already. I am so glad I actually got to spend it on food. One Publix in Birmingham refused to use the number given to me that is on the new card in the mail. So, I bought it all in Cullman. I won't have this in February, so I did not want to miss what I had coming. Forsythia are really beautiful. In the country some people have them all along fences, making a beautiful sight in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sight of forsythia blooming. I remeber my grandmother had several in her yard. It has been cold and snowy here. Kids had a snow day on Monday and yesterday. Today it is snowing off and on. I made lasagna soup yesterday in the crockpot. It was yummy. Glad you were able to get a prescription and some ymy food. Hope you have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Forsythia is beautiful. I know the snow is pretty falling. My kids loved snow days and I could sleep in a bit. I am up and not feeling better yet, but the soup might help. Have fun in the snow.

      Delete
  6. I have forsythia that were large established plants at this house when we bought it 36 years ago. They are still thriving. They won't be blooming anytime soon though. Amazing things are blooming elsewhere.
    Glad you got a script - hope it helps. Love hamburger soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Both my plants died, but they were huge. I think shade from mature trees plus shade from new trees I planted is why they died. It is amazing to me that it is still so cold and freezing elsewhere. I hope so, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. In Michgian they would bloom in April. I associate the color yellow with April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      This might be a bit early, but not too early. Yellow is a happy color, I suppose because we are happy things are blooming.

      Delete
  8. My forsythia are starting to set buds. I should cut some whips and bring them inside to force them.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...