Tuesday, January 10, 2023

I Didn't Fall, But I Could Not Get Up!

 

Late on Monday night, Tommy casually told me he had an appointment today. I could tell he was apologetic or feeling he had not told me soon enough. Oh well! Sooo, we had to make plans. We had to get up at 7:30 and leave by 8:30 for a 9:30 appointment for his procedure--an endoscopy. 

Since he could not drive afterwards, his car was broken, as he put it, and I don't like anyone driving my car, especially someone who has diabetes and cannot eat, I chose to drive. I only slept 2 hours, so I am not so sure how I thought I was better to drive than him.

They told Tommy I could sit in the car rather than come inside since I could not walk so far. We kept in touch by cell.

I bought along things to do--check bank balance, paid three bills over the phone, complained about not being able to order online and use a gift card. The last call was the doozy--trying to restore an account with a Medicare agency rather than the new plan I agreed to use. 

Finally, Tommy was ready. I drove to the drive-thru to pick him up. I used his walker to run in for the restroom. When I came out he was stuffing his face with cheese crackers. I could not lift the walker to get it into the back seat. UGH A passerby I asked did help me. 

I staggered around the car and tried to get into my seat. I am accustomed to Tommy's suv which is higher. I dropped into the seat and Tommy felt it and commented. As I started off to the highway, Tommy was trying to talk--Oooo, owa, aoo, ooma, ooaao. I looked at him as he was gesticulating and getting more excited. The man must have stuffed all the cheese crackers into his mouth. 

As he tried to talk with crackers in his mouth, crumbs were spewing out. I was just horrified since we were in my car with light gray upholstery! Only cheese balls could have been worse. 

He was trying to correct me on the direction to go to get out of the hospital complex. As I objected, he just became more agitated and animated, spewing cracker crumbs. I did as he said, objecting all the way. 

His clothes and coat in his lap were covered in cheese cracker crumbs. I strictly forbade him to touch the crumbs or try to clean them up. 

First, I decided we would go by the carwash and I would vacuum him at the free vacuums. Finally, I decided we would go to a food giveaway then home where I would get his vacuum and clean him up. 

I went into the house, got the new vacuum that had been converted to a hand vac for something he did. I could not stand long enough to figure it out. So, I sat on a lawn chair. As I sat, it slowly sank into the wet ground. Do you know that sinking feeling? Tommy called for help after I could not get up holding onto the car door, him, or his walker. 

Do you know how embarrassing this was, just sitting in the yard, in a chair, and waiting for a firetruck to show up?

The two guys got me up from the chair. I just know all the neighbors were watching. But, they see me holding onto the rail of the ramp. I know they see! I immediately took the hand vac and got all the cheese crackers from the seat and inside the car. Two pieces of cheese cracker were squashed and left a nasty stain, but I can clean that with the spray for carpets, I am quite sure. 

The legs of the chair had dug into the ground six inches! At least. So, I have plans. Before today, I planned to kill the clover that has claimed this area, a quarter circle of sidewalk goes from the driveway to the front steps. Of course, the ramp cover most of the sidewalk, but the St. Augustine Grass has been replaced by clover. It is pretty and green all winter, but in the summer, it is just weedy and a home for dandelions and about a half dozen other weeds. 

Now, I will put something hard there. I thought about a brick patio type area. Then, I decided bricks would trip me and be hard for Tommy's walker. Maybe I will get the largest paving stones and hope I don't trip over the cracks between the stones. 

What I really need is something like skis attached to the bottom of the chair legs to keep the legs from sinking. 

At my house, I never had this problem. It was like my soil and deep roots were safe for chair legs even after a rain. Maybe I had clay. 

Today, I sat from 8:30 to 3:30 and my left knee did not want to cooperate when I tried to get up. Plus, my back did not like sitting in my very comfortable car. 

I really need a taller vehicle, something like Tommy's. A car is definitely not my thing anymore. Neither is grass...lol. I won't be trading cars but will try to get something except grass there. 

Tommy has never stuffed his mouth so full, so I suppose he was hungry. He certainly was not himself! He came home and gave me pictures of his esophagus...so funny. It is all pink. 

Dinner: chicken cutlet, salad.

Have you ever had a chair sink into the ground? 

Guess what book I received from Amazon today.

 




7 comments:

  1. I have had a chair sink into the ground! It's frustrating to try to get out of that situation.

    I had a car years ago and decided I needed something not so low to the ground. I traded for an SUV and I love it. My current vehicle is a Chevy Traverse and it is my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Don't you just feel helpless when the chair sink? I figure the only way out is to try to throw myself to one side and go with whatever happens as I fall. I cannot even throw myself forward since my heavy behind has me anchored to the chair! I think if I had continued to drive my car instead of riding on Tommy's suv, I would have retained the ability to rise from the car! When/if I get an suv, I will keep the Traverse in mind. What do you particularly like about it?

      Delete
    2. I like that it is easy to get into and easy to see out of. The one I have has four 'captains' chairs and a third row seat. I have three grands and we can take all of them and my daughter all at once very comfortably. If we put all three kids on the third row, four adults would fit nicely in the other four seats.

      It drives well and gets good gas mileage. It has ample space in the back for luggage or groceries. If no one is in the third row, it can be lowered to increase cargo space.

      I feel safe in this vehicle and not low to the ground.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      Thanks. I will keep the Traverse in mind. Those are all good traits!

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel about having to call for help to get up or into the house. On the day of my Dad's funeral I was standing and standing visiting with people and I hadn't slept at all the night before. I was hungry and just exhausted by the time the funeral was over. I thought I would have enough time to rest in the car. I was able to get up and out of the car and walk up the walk to the steps up into my house, but my legs didn't have the strength to even take one step up and I was feeling so light headed. That kind where it feels like everything above your head is flipping back over you and makes you want to fall over backwards. Michael helped me back out to the car where I had another cry about everything, and I finally gave up my humiliation and called my community 911 and explained the situation, and asked them to please not send out an ambulance with lights flashing. They didn't. They sent out the nicest young police officer, who was tall and strong and between him and my husband they got me up into the house. I thanked the police officer profusely. I thought that was so nice. and just a minimum of humiliation. The next day I paid to have a ramp installed up to our front door ASAP, and have been so thankful for it ever since, even though it isn't a very attractive addition to our house.
    Maybe for the time being you could get a piece of weatherproof plywood and just put it down for the chair to sit on when you want to use it, and take it up and put it in your walk-in basement when you are not using it.
    By the way, my therapist who came to the house after my knee surgery said that it is very normal for people to have to call for help to get up from falls or other situations. It is a common call for 911 and police to make. I had a situation after my surgery where I couldn't lift myself to standing position, but I sat there crying, too embarrassed to call 911 to help me, until finally I got an idea of how I could manage to
    get up by myself. In my case pride has goneth after my knees and leg strength did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sucks getting older!! I know how you feel been there and done that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gill,
      I never thought I would get to this point! That happens to other people.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...