Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Red Stapler

 Wednesday, I wanted to go to a body shop in Cullman since I know them. It had not yet been 24 hours since Tommy had anesthesia, so I drove. It was grueling for me to get from his house to 65, a half hour trip! The sky was overcast, which was good since I did not have to deal with sun in my eyes.

Even though it was in the 50s when we left and all day long, I think, it was chilly. Tommy even thought so and wore a jacket. A storm is coming tomorrow, so I hope his tree in the back yard is secure! It would fall right on my bedroom and I cannot bear to lose all I have again! Hopefully, we won't lose all the food in the freezer, either. 

We dropped my laptop off at Office Max/Depot. Then, we got lunch at Chicken Salad Chick so we could eat at the body shop. I told Tommy we could only do this once a month. Once every three months was his response. So, I cannot wait for April. 

He drove back since his 24 hours was up. We both got a rest from driving today. Well, I never drive to Cullman. But, if he got me to the interstate, I would gladly drive. 

When we got near the body shop, I called, I thought. It was the father. The shop was closed. He told us to come back next week. When I reminded him where we lived and the tire might start scrubbing again, he told us one of the guys could fix the scrubbing. 

The guy worked on the underside of the car with us sitting in it. We mentioned eating the delicious lunch. He commented all the fast food was so expensive. Then, he said sometimes he brings his lunch. This led us to talking about cooking bags. This very young man cooks! He was reared by his grandmother and she talked to him in the kitchen about cooking and what she was doing when he was a little boy.

When she died, no one wanted her kitchen stuff, so he got it all and knows how to use it! He even uses her roasting pan and casseroles. He says cooking is relaxing. Nice guy. I told him about Reynolds Cooking Bags. He was surprised when I described the ease. Tommy volunteered how carrots and potatoes could be cooked with the chicken. "Pot roast in a bag!" was the young guy's exclamation. 

I suppose I have another convert to cooking bags.

We left and the tire was scrubbing before we got out of the parking lot. So, we went back. I asked him if he could cut off the offending part. He did so and we went on our way. 

We got the mail, collected my laptop, and bought a stapler with staples and staple remover. The guy at OM brought to the car several staplers, one was red. It seems there was a movie, Office Space, that had a guy who was enamored of his red stapler. I had never heard of the movie, and I was not spending $30 on a stapler color! I have missed having a stapler and remover since living here. Tommy likes it, too. 

We also went to Publix where I bought apples and bananas and some other things that I don't recall. When we arrived home, I was sure I would never walk normally again. 

I gave our favorite fast-food worker a generous Christmas gift. She came to the front of the store and asked us if we knew what was in the envelope Tommy handed her. She could hardly breathe. She needs it. 

After I took a short nap, Tommy washed clothes for me and I hung them to dry. We had what was in the refrigerator for dinner. 

Dinner: Tommy--chicken cutlet, frozen mixed vegetables, fresh pineapple. Me: chicken breast, slaw, last tablespoon of cranberry sauce, Romaine. All of this was leftovers except for the new container of frozen vegetables Tommy opened. I put the other half of the chicken breast into the container that held cranberry sauce so I could get rid of the huge container that had held four cooked chicken breasts. Space is at a premium in the refrigerator.

I decluttered a tiny bit, just enough to say I did...lol.

So, now we have to make an appointment to have the car repaired. This shop is good about getting things out and not letting them sit. It pays to help to know the reputation of body shops, don't you think? We know none here. 

So, that was my very exhausting day! I even got some more important phone calls done. Of course, just my luck, I received mail with fires to put out. 

Have you heard of the movie "Office Space?" Have you heard of the movie? 

5 comments:

  1. Ha! So you did end up cutting off the non-essential part that was giving you trouble. Good on you! Sometimes the best fix is the easiest/cheapest one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Cutting off the offending part was my idea. And, the initial fix, asking the neighbor to pin it back was mine, too. Actually, so was calling the insurance idea mine, too. He was going to have it towed to a body shop! He is still getting a new bumper when the body shop has the bumper, we will take it in then.

      Delete
  2. PS: Yes, I heard of Office Space and watched it more than once back in the day. It's a funny movie. I would not pay $30 for a stapler just because it was red. The movie reference is not worth the extra cost.

    It was very nice of you to gift your favorite fast food worker some cash. I'm sure she will never forget you and Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I never heard of the movie, so I wonder where I was. Oh, I wanted the red stapler but not because of the movie. It was pretty, prettier than black. Plus, if it were red, I could find it when it disappeared. And, I love red. If it had been pink, it would have been even better.
      Tommy thought I gave her $10 or $20. She was in shock. She needs it and we saved more money since the cleaner does not charge us.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading about Tommy and you keeping house.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...