Saturday, January 21, 2023

Last of Christmas and Repairs and UHC

 Saturday was another quiet day in the house. The car was not started all day, and I stayed in my nightgown.  Actually, I slept in a summer nightgown and put this winter nightgown on because I was chilly. I never did ask about the temperature of thermostat setting. 

Sunday starts the Year of the Rabbit. Maybe the year will be as gentle as a bunny. However, the only time I ever tried to hold a rabbit, it kicked me and hurt me! Maybe this year will be gentler than that rabbit.

On Friday, I mended the Christmas deer that broke a leg somehow. I think it fell over on the bookcase where I had placed it. I forgot to put them out for Christmas, so I put them out the day after Christmas. There were two deer and a Santa. I bought the two deer at a furniture store, went back in several weeks later and found a Santa. The deer are white with wreaths around their necks. The Santa has a long red robe and sack on his back and a wreath in his other hand. All three of these pieces are beautiful. They are sort of frosted with very small glitter that never seems to fall off much on things. 

I let the glue on the deer leg set for a couple of days. When I was ready to put the Santa in its box, I remembered I needed to repair it, too. When I returned to the store and found the Santa to purchase at half price, the woman took it to the register to wrap it and place it in a shopping bag. She exclaimed that it was "damaged, so you can have it for $9." The price I was going to pay was something like $18, and that was the half cost. So, I got a Santa worth almost $40 for $9. This was several years ago and when I had money to spend after Christmas. 

The damage was a hole in the Santa sack over his shoulder. It was a tiny hole, too small for a patch. It does not show at all sitting as a display. I was going to put a tiny patch and paint it later. But, today, I put a drop of E6000 on it. If it dries whole instead of just going down into the hole, I will store it as it is and maybe next year find something brown to color the clear hole. Maybe it will be done and left as is. Some repairs are just as good when minimal. Trying to make the brown match would probably just make the repair move obvious.

This is the last of the Christmas decorations as I put the rest away on NYE. The deer and Santa were not in my line of vision! The Kiss stays out and is lit at night, thanks to a remote and fairy lights. 

For the last three years I have saved coins in a little bank from Tootsie Rolls. I had Tommy count it all for me--over $35. This last year, I saved little in the coin banks. I still have piles of coins the cleaner got from under the nightstand and bed. Since I mostly use a debit card, I get few coins. These coins are saved for the grill I want. Since I rarely find coins, this is the little I get from change or on a return. I wish I could find wheat pennies! 

Only four of my products came from UHC--oxygen monitor, low-dose aspirin, Vit D, and Neosporin. I wonder when the rest will arrive.

Dinner tonight is all leftovers: Chicken breast or pork roast, mashed potatoes, baked carrots/sugar peas/broccoli, salad with Romaine and tomatoes. 

I love to repair things. I know--crazy. Do you mind repairs or like doing repairs? 

If you get OTC from UHC, do they dribble in a few items at a time?

For what are your coins tagged? 

16 comments:

  1. I do my best to repair things as I can. We are putting up the last of our Christmas decorations now too. We had the last of the chili for dinner last night so now I will need to cook something new today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Isn't it a bummer when you have to cook again? lol

      Delete
  2. I used to save coins in a gallon pickle jar. I always use my debit cards but my husband always uses cash. The jar was 1/3 full when a friend sent me a photo of her coin jar...she lifted it and the bottom fell out and all her coins were on the floor along with shards of glass. That did it. I took it to our local grocery store where they had a coin counting machine. in about 4 years we accumulated nearly $250! I now use a plastic bank with a coin counter on the top but since I keep it on my desk, hubby rarely adds to the stash. I'm stuck at $25.51

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That is horrendous. I would certainly quit using glass, too. I cannot imagine having to clean that from the floor. Tommy has a plastic film cannister in the car. Sometimes, I put money in there if he asks if he can put my coins in there. That is a lot. I think I am stuck, too. Maybe you should pass it to him like an offering plate at church.

      Delete
  3. DH has a hug glass bottle (2.5 ft high, about 1ft diameter) that is stuffed with coins. I hate it for the same reason as Jan noted--I am afraid that the weight of the coins will break the bottom of the jar.

    I have a small jar in the kitchen for change. DH and DS regard coins as a nuisance, so any change they leave laying around gets swooped up and deposited in my jar. When it's full I take it to a Coinstar and get an Amazon credit so I don't have to lose 11% to Coinstar for "processing fees." I get between $50-65 for a full jar which is mine to spend as I please. :^)

    I also have a cute lil piggy bank in my laundry room for change that DH & DS leave in their pockets. Haven't checked how full it is; those coins come at a slower rate.

    Our bank used to have a Coinstar, but you could only avoid the fee by depositing the money right into your account. Then they took out the machine. I mean, why provide a nice service for your customers, right? So I closed our accounts there, and told them why. I don't think they gave a rat's ass, frankly.

    Our town has seen an exponential growth in banks, I counted 7 banks on 2 intersecting streets, all within 1/10 of a mile radius. What the everloving hell? I don't know why the town is approving that kind of density. Banks are such a waste of land.

    Ok, bank rant over.

    I like to do small fixes as I can. I like Loctite glue in the little blue bottle. It's easy to apply.

    I don't know if you'd call it a "fix", but I am currently hydrating 2 wooden-handled knives in mineral oil. The handles were very dull and dry and needed some refreshing. Next is a big old cutting board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the only way to avoid a fee was to get credit at the store. But, that was a bank, so not applicable. If my bank has that, I will just withdraw that amount to save for the grill. An Amazon credit would be okay with me. I have not noticed any new banks anywhere, but now I probably will...lol.
      I certainly did not want to put away the deer with a broken leg as I will have enough to think about next Christmas.
      I call that a fix since the wood will not dehydrate itself. I have mending.


      Delete
    2. Yeah, it wasn't a problem that the bank required you to deposit the coin money--you could always take it out later. What ticked me off was that they eliminated that very useful service to their clients! Banks are just lawful robbery! Did I mention I hate banks? ;^)

      You have to carefully check out a Coinstar machine to see what sort of options it allows to avoid the processing fee. If my only option was to turn it into grocery money, so be it. I just don't want to lose a big percentage to "fees".

      Delete
  4. Monty Python reminds us Rabbits can be Killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I certainly hope the bunnies around the yard do not go berserk and kill people.

      Delete
    2. Never forget that President Jimmy Carter had to fend off a swamp rabbit attack!

      Delete
  5. All of my change gets divided evenly between my grands' piggy banks.

    My daddy loved coins and saved wheat pennies. I have mine on display in a glass container. It's about nine inches in diameter and they fill it about four or five inches deep. All wheat pennies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is a lot of wheat pennies! And, I cannot find even one. I did have a little dish of them but all in the dump now.

      Delete
    2. Yes! I don't remember what else he got, but every paycheck, he got either $5 or $10 in rolls of pennies. He would sit and go through them. He did this for a long time. My two sisters and I divided them pretty evenly after our mom passed a few years ago. My father has been gone since 1982.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      I suppose I should be more proactive and get rolls of pennies instead of just getting a couple in change every week and hoping to find any wheat pennies. Do you ever look at them or did you count them?

      Delete
    4. When I was younger (teenager years, especially I would go through them and look at them. My sisters and I looked through them a bit when we divided them, but I haven't gone through them since then. But they are on display right beside my chair in the living room so I think of him often. I haven't counted them. Fun fact, when I was a teenager, I spent weeks rolling pennies. The non wheat head pennies, he had put in those old five gallon milk jugs. There were two or three of them near full.

      Delete
    5. Alice,
      I like you have them out and near, not in a closet. I never want to roll pennies ever again...lol. Tommy said he would, but I think Coinstar will be the best answer to our little stash. Of course, I will go through them to see if there were any wheat pennies because he did not look because I did not mention it. I am glad he separated them!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...