Friday, January 20, 2023

Yuck, Gag, Truly Awful

 I have not had Cream of Wheat in years. I love it but it is not something I should eat since I love it with milk, butter, and sugar. But, once in a while, I succumb to buying Cream of Wheat. 

First off, when I opened it, I realized I had bought the expensive stuff in little packets. Well, too late. When I am sitting on a cart, I cannot see high and find what I want. When the guy put his hand on it and asked if it were what I wanted, I said "yes" in order not to waste his time. Well, I wasted money.

I put a packet and the right amount of water in a bowl, microwaved it and prepared it to eat. Since I was trying to make it healthy, I did not use salt and only one spoon of sugar instead of my preferred three spoons of sugar. As I stirred it around to mix it all, I put a dab of butter, probably two teaspoons of butter. Then, before it was stirred well, I had a taste. Oh, YUCK. I needed to spit it out. Sitting in my chair, I found nothing into which to spit! Tommy could not figure out my anguish. I had put a spoon of salt into the COW and had a good portion of it in my mouth! It took me hours to get over that horror. Actually, I could have spit it into the bowl since it was all inedible, anyway. 

Why I had salt in a quart canning jar is anyone's guess. At this point, I decided I need a better labeling system! 

Today was another low-key day and nothing spent. Lynda gave us a tray of vegetables and dip. We saved the tomatoes, threw out the dip, and cooked the rest. (below)

Dinner: hamburger patty cooked in oven with onion soup mix over it, carrots, sugar peas, broccoli cooked in oven on another pan. Tommy had half a leftover oven baked potato that was cooked with chicken. This was all truly delicious. But, I should have used only a sprinkle of the onion soup mix. There are leftover baked vegetables. 

Have you ever gotten a spoon of salt in your mouth, thinking it was something else and sweet? Or, have you oversalted or seasoned and made something truly awful?

20 comments:

  1. I have used salt instead of sugar in a recipe when I was very young. Bad is much to tame of a word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    I am just glad I used only a spoonful instead of three! That is where the gagging came in because bad was too tame. I laughed because you are so correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cream of wheat and oatmeal. I grew up on both, sometimes they were served when you did not feel well and needed something other that chicken noodle soup. Always had sugar, butter, milk or a little half and half, Still something I go to if I don't feel well. I have found the best way to cook is in a pan, not the microwave. Maybe just my preference. I don;t mix up on the salt any more, I keep a salt and pepper shaker on the stove top. The salt shaker had a wide mouth with screw off lid. If I am cooking or baking I can just screw off the lid and use a measuring spoon to get the right amount. I have messed up may to many times with salt, this method works best for me.

    I did not leave the house today, the only reason I should have was to pick up new medicine for my neck. Steroids, anti inflammatrories and some kind of new muscle relaxer. I did just not have the strength to even get dressed today.

    I have baked chicken breasts, little red an gold potatoes, a pound of bacon and made pancakes for breakfasts. I chopped lettuce, cucumbers and carrots for salad. Everything is in the fridge, so meals for the next few days are ready. I should have made a pie or cake but ran out of energy.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I still have not checked to see why I have so much salt in a jar! I have never stored salt in a jar. I rarely if ever use salt at the stove even though there is a salt shaker there.
      Having food cooked and ready to eat is a very good thing!
      It is too bad you did not feel like getting meds to make you feel better. My neck has been bothering me for several months, but nothing as bad as yours.
      I hope you feel much better soon with the meds.

      Delete
  4. Sorry, hit the publish button before I was ready. As I was saying going to make a cake or pie but I got tired. Now that is one for tomorrow. I have so many choices, I could go fruit, apple or cherry I coutd do chcolate, coconut, pineapple cream pies. Cakes, I could go chocolate, white or german chocolate. In the good old days I had family here to tell me what they want. So, I put it on you, what should I make Linda, what sounds tasty to you?

    Let me know in the morning so I can get to cooking. Have a good evening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate always sounds good to me. Now, send me a piece...lol.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, what a surprise (and not a good one) that was. Can't remember doing that - but sugar is in a canister and salt in a shaker. Sorry for the goof up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I still don't know how I put salt in a fruit jar since those are my cannisters right now. My salt is supposed to be in a shaker, too!

      Delete
  6. I just use a pinch of salt in my cream of wheat and it does help the blandness. I use either packets of sweet n low or just a couple of spoons of sugar if my little Fritzi Pom is going to have a finger tip or two of the cereal. Somedays I use a spoon of Smuckers low sugar strawberies preserves on top if Fritzi isn't sharing. I haven't had any cream of wheat since my teeth extractions got so badly infected. I have lost my taste for it. Though it may well have changed since I had it last. I have lost my appetite for everything still, except for chocolate boost and activia vanila yogurt. I am sick now with an infection in my lymphedema leg. thought I would be feeling better by now. I'm on antibiotics now, but am still having days when my fever goes up to 103 degrees, for a while. My leg hurts so bad I can barely walk using a cane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I am so sorry for your illness and fever. I wondered why you had not commented at all. Get better soon. Be careful. I could live off Chocolate boost and yogurt. Do you think your tooth infection has anything to do with the leg infection?

      Delete
  7. I use Splenda or other sugar substitute instead of sugar. I can use as much as needed without worry although I don't overdo it. I am gluten intolerant so can't eat cream of wheat anymore. Finding out I had Celiac Disease solved a lot of problems, but it is hard to follow the diet. It's also hard to eat anything with gluten as I immediately get very sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      That must be hard to avoid gluten. Thankfully, that is one problem I don't have amongst all my allergies and other problems. I should not have been eating wheat!

      Delete
  8. I can’t say that I’ve done that with salt but imagine it would be terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I can still conjure up that taste! A spoonful of salt is horrible. Remember, I had not stirred it well.

      Delete
  9. I bought some not too long ago. I had to cover it in brown sugar and milk too. It really isn't that good, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I did like it a lot. But, that spoonful of salt in my mouth may have turned me off Cream of Wheat forever.

      Delete
  10. I don't think I have ever done that, but it sounds awful. I don't keep salt in jars, just in the original container as I don't use salt very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I don't keep salt in jars, either. I have no idea why it is in a jar!

      Delete
  11. The title of this entry is the best one I've read in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Glad you appreciated the title. It was nasty stuff.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...