Monday, January 30, 2023

Very Busy Monday

 There is nothing growing in the culture. The antibiotics are not helping one bit. I still have an elevated temperature and chills all the time, chills like my fever is breaking. So, I don't know. Yes, I will take care of this.

Today, it was not going to rain, and I had things to do. And, we did it all, plus I was able to track down phone numbers I have not been able to find. And, I managed to make more than a few phone calls. 

Tommy had some books he wanted to purge. I asked for one and asked him if I could sell the others. So, we loaded up four books and took them to 2nd and Charles. That did not work out--$2 for one book and $4 for one other. Obviously, they did not want the books. I will put them on facebook marketplace.

I bought Spare and am disappointed in the binding. Wondering if this was just the cheapest means to sell a book on Amazon, Tommy went into Barnes & Nobles. Their binding is the same. He bought himself a cup of coffee and a piece of Godiva cheesecake for me. 

He went into Belk's for me and used my gift card he got me. I was able to shop via him, phone, and sales clerk. Remember when I ordered Butterfly Meadow by Lenox and one plate came shattered? Well, I had a $20 credit. He bought the three accent plates they had. So, I still only have five dinner plates, but that is okay. When I have four other people over to eat, I will worry about it then. Or, I can use the accent plate.

We had to wait an hour for 2nd and Charles to insult us! So, we had a tiny cheeseburger from McD, watched the cloudy sky, and window shopped from the car. I have never had the desire to go in Five Below, but I looked at what I could see. I still don't want to go in. I forgot what else we saw, what stores. Oh, Plato's Closet was another. 

I called a friend who has antiques and knows a bit about the book scene in Birmingham. He was not there but his employee said we would have no better luck at Reed's Books. Reed's Books is fantastic. I have bought and sold there before. The history books Tommy is selling are so large I cannot lift them. I am glad we did not carry my books! I don't sell books by weight...lol.   

Today, we were in a shopping center in a place called Trace Crossings, tony place. It was sad because there were so many nice shops closed. Some were empty and it was not evident what stores were there. Tommy was the first to comment on the sad state of the shops, closed and probably not coming back. This was not just a shop here and there, but rows of shops. We came home with no more stops, just what we left to do, except McD.

We did go out after dinner was in the oven and look for a pink bag with ads and coupons and found none. Anne, do they still throw these in your neighborhood? 

We are having chicken something. Plus, we have leftover slaw, baked zucchini and squash.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

10 comments:

  1. Most of the time we get the ads, but occasionally when the weather is very bad we don't

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books ain't worth much these days. We have a book collection bin
    --like one of those ubiquitous clothing bins-- near us that will take any books. I make good use of it when my husband isn't around. :^)

    I heartily approve of your McD's cheeseburger stop! If you're out and super hungry, try their Triple Cheeseburger. A single is just too much bun to meat. A double is better, but still leaves you a bit peckish. But a triple? You get the satiety of all that meat without too much bun.

    I do stay away from fast food most of the time. But a McD's Triple Cheese is my guilty pleasure. It's both my Nirvana and my Achille's Heel; my caviar and my Wonder Bread. So much delicious shame and delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Well, people will not pay much for a book for resale, but the resellers think that books are golden when they sell! I would think books would get torn up dumped in a bin.

      Sometimes, I pinch off the bun around the meat because it is too much bread for the meat. But, I have never had a triple. We eat them plain, just cheese and meat.

      Shame and delight? Well, maybe we will try it once. lol.

      Delete
  3. As said above, books are not worth as much these days, especially used ones. The older, the less valuable if they're textbooks.

    I will eat McD's, but only the patties. They are 100% beef, and they don't use seed oils on the grill. I order "two large patties please, just the meat." They're only about $1.50 each and make a great meal. Sometimes I get three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice,
    I can understand textbooks, but these are great and UpToDate books. McD is great, but I just get the little cheeseburger when it is just to keep blood sugar up for Tommy. I have been meaning to leave off the cheese and just get a burger. If I ordered three, I would throw away at least one whole bun. I am mostly there for the meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am "only" there for the meat. That's why I just order the patties. It's cheaper than getting a burger and discarding the bun.

      Delete
    2. Alice,
      I missed that, the fever, I suppose. I thought you got three burgers. I had no idea I could order just meat. Thanks for correcting me.

      Delete
  5. It is very difficult for retail at the moment, many shops are closing down ... such a shame.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Many of the closed shops were specialty shops or small business owned which makes it more of shame.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...