Thursday, February 23, 2023

Another Good Day

 First of all, it was 80F today with higher temperatures in cities nearby. It was unbelievable that no storms and tornado weather followed the heat. Birds are out and about. One sat preening on my shepherd's hook out front. 

I am writing this about 5 pm. and yawning. However, I slept well last night/today. Wednesday night, after little sleep for two nights, I went to bed about 9 pm. I could not sleep, so I got back up for news. I finally went to bed about 2 am, slept three hours, got up and on laptop. I think I went to bed at 7 am and slept until 12:45 pm. I did get over 8 hours sleep. The sleep deficit has not been mitigated, but I am happy.

We went into the bedroom with food and brought things out--Miracle Whip, bbq sauce, jar of Newman's Own spaghetti sauce, canned chicken, freezer and storage bags. These bags were Christmas designs bought on sale after Christmas 2021. I put back the boxes of light bulbs where I replaced bulbs. 

Because I bought so many cans of Campbells cream of soup on sale, we need to use one each month this year in order to consume them before the best by date. When I need two cans for a recipe, I will have Tommy make white sauce and use that instead of the second can. 

We won't need storage and freezer bags for years. This could be a lifetime supply...lol. 

My laundry is ready for Tommy to take it to washing machine. That will happen Friday.

My laptop has color problems that I cannot figure out how to solve.  The screen is too dim and the pink of my blog is a sickening pale color. Other than that, I have figured out the few things different from my last laptop. The screeching sounds are not missed!

Tonight, since we took freezer bags to the kitchen, I will freeze the baked breasts. And, I will shred or chop enough chicken for a casserole of Stovetop Stuffing, chicken, soup. I wish I had dried cranberries to put in it, but I have a can of jellied cranberry sauce. My dried cranberries are better than Craisins. And, they have no sugar or oil. I am going to put the mix in a colander in order to stir it and get the salty seasoning out. 

Dinner--Stove Top Stuffing casserole with chicken, green bean, carrots in it, and either slaw or salad. 

The SS casserole was delicious. I used the white sauce Tommy made instead of a can of soup, along with a can of soup and some of the chicken broth left in the bowl. I added no canned chicken broth. There were carrots that did not get soft enough for me. So, I mashed the carrots roughly with a fork and added that. I think there was as much shredded chicken as there was SS. It was delicious with cranberry sauce and salad. The SS casserole had a less strong taste because I added no spices to the white sauce. And, I added no water to the casserole. 

At 10 pm it is still 72F. Amazing. There was no wind part of the day, thankfully. Only a breeze later in the afternoon even stirred the trees.

Do you have stored food from which you add to kitchen stores? 


14 comments:

  1. If you are using Windows 11, you should be able to adjust the brightness of your display (screen) by going to the settings. Look for the Window icon on the lower left corner of your screen. Click on it and then click the icon that looks like a gear. This is your settings. Click on System and then click Display. You should see how to adjust the brightness there. I don't have a blog so can't help there. However, on my computer the background for your blog is the same pink it has always been. You should be able to Google how to change it and find out from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, the Windows icon is not in the bottom left. I finally found it in the tray, right in the center! I have not looked much, but it will happen. Is it the bright pink? This laptop has a pale pink more like blush and not pretty at all.

      Delete
  2. I agree - you need to go to settings. You can adjust color and brightness. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      That was the first thing I tried before I complained here. Not working.

      Delete
  3. You sound like you had a wonderful day and it was very productive too. I have broken sleep too, sometimes I make it up like you but most of the time I just go on. Have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      A day with sleep the night before is usually productive. Sometimes, there is no choice but to keep going. Of course, a well-timed nap is always great.

      Delete
  4. I bought a new laptop a couple of years ago while working on my Master's degree. It too, seems to have a different color to it than other computers. I use a Google Sheets spreadsheet to track income and spending and once a line is 'complete' I highlight it to what I thought was a pale peach color. On my new laptop, it appears pink.

    The color I see on your blog appears as a cotton candy or bubblegum pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Thanks. This laptop shows my blog as a blush pink, but very dull. NOT pretty at all. Cotton candy or bubblegum pink is the color I want.

      Delete
  5. I used to store non-perishable food in a footlocker which served as a coffee table when we lived in tiny apartments. In fact, when we moved here, I found a can of asparagus which had made each move with us! Oh, it was past its "best by" date, but I didn't let that stop me from using it. My farm house was built by a member of the LDS church, and as such, it had two pantries, but the second pantry, just outside the kitchen, wound up becoming a craft/toy/fabric/tool closet--as it had been for them, too. My pantry here is very big, and as the kids grow, we are eating less and less, so now, my food non-perishables all fit in my pantry. But, that said, there is nothing wrong with rethinking your storage. Nothing says you can't store boxes of stuffing mix, cans of soup and bottles of condiments in a bin in your linen closet. My biggest challenge was, (and still is) cases of bottled water. If I have it in the pantry, the kids drink that, and not tap water, so I've now taken to having the kids put a case in each of the vehicles. (Most public water fountains are still closed, and the school charges $1/bottle from the vending machine.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I wish we lived in a former LDS house. Storage here is just about nil. And, of course, Tommy has improved nothing in that area, not even free-standing shelves. The canned meat is in the linen closet in the hall. other things are in a dresser he is giving me. We did keep bottled water in the car over winters so that we would have it there instead of having to remember to carry it each time.Water is kept on a very sturdy, old metal chair right inside the kitchen. I am trying to figure out where else to keep it, but right now, this works. In their cars must be very handy at school.

      Delete
  6. Making white sauce to replace canned soup is a great idea and has a lot less salt. Over many years i have tended to buy extra and store it but as the family's tastes change and the time available for cooking also changes I have found that things can be left languishing so these days I buy what is needed and that is all.
    I currently have two boxes of vegan pies taking space in the freezer. I bought them when my son and his wife were coming for dinner and then the plan changed.
    It's nice to have good weather and feel good, you must feel like all your Christmases have come at once :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I wish I did not have so much canned soup...lol. At least, some of it is low sodium. At least, you have things to serve when they come again. You are right--feeling good in good weather is like Christmases at once. Today, it feels chilly with fifties and drizzle.

      Delete
  7. I have a BRITA water pitcher so I refill water bottles several times before discarding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I had a Brita water pitcher. I should do that!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...